Thoughts on a "cheat day"???

Last night I went for a meal with friends and decided last night would be my "cheat day".

I had heard that these could actually help you lose weight becos of kick starting your metabolism one again. For me, I felt I'd saved up enough calories in the week in order to enjoy myself that night. Plus, it was kinda good practise cos even tho the food I ate wasn't great, I was still conscious of what I was eating (declined the offer of having bread and butter at the table, shared a starter, only ate until I was full and also declined dessert! Which is soooo not like me).

Today I've woken up raring to get back on my diet. One of my biggest worries is the whole, "it takes 21 days to make a habit" do cheat days mean you go back to day 1? But by the choices I was making last night I feel it wasn't a bad thing.

Thanks in advance for your comments

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Your metabolism doesn't need kickstarted.

I've never done a cheat day. It implies I'm doing something wrong. I just eat the foods I love in moderation, working them into my weekly deficit (which is what you did, it sounds like).
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    The problem with cheat days is some people tend to go a little overboard and indulge in everything they are consciously depriving themselves of through the week... next thing they know they have undone all of that week's deficit and are sitting scratching their heads wondering why they aren't losing weight whilst they are being so "good" 90% of the time.

It sounds like you made some good sustainable choices though when you were out, however, I would suggest that you *try* to log your cheat days to the best of your ability, just to make sure that you aren't wiping out all of your hard work. A large portion of cheesy sauce on something is likely to far outweigh a bit of bread!
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    edited May 2015
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Your metabolism doesn't need kickstarted.

I've never done a cheat day. It implies I'm doing something wrong. I just eat the foods I love in moderation, working them into my weekly deficit (which is what you did, it sounds like).
    ^^^^ THIS, I have seen many people undo their work with 'Cheat days'. I do sometimes have days I don't log or go over but these aren't cheat days they're just life. The problem I see with cheat days with some people is they go all out. There are foods that they will only eat on those days.
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    one more thing to add... I've no idea how tall you are but from your profile pic you are already fairly slim (do you *really* have 12lbs to go?)

Your margin of error at your size is likely to be much smaller unless you are getting a decent amount of exercise, you aren't likely to have thousands of calories banked up to play with on a cheat day
  • Diondk
    Diondk Posts: 159 Member
    I have a cheat day, mine was yesterday, i didnt go over my calories for that day, i even went out for a run.
    A cheat day is a day that you can eat something that you really like, drink a beer or 2.

Some people eat 3000 calories on a cheat day when they normally can eat 1500 a day (for example), thats not gonna work. If you have a cheat day still try to keep around your calories target, but eat and drink stuff you wouldn't eat the rest of the week.

Its working for me, if i dont have a cheat day i want to eat the unhealthy stuff everyday, no i have something to look forward to.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    I don't do cheat days. If I want to eat more than usual, I exercise for it. :)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Diondk wrote: »
    A cheat day is a day that you can eat something that you really like, drink a beer or 2.

That's not a cheat day, that's every day! :smile:
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    I used to do a cheat day, but I didn't go overboard, just had something I wouldn't usually have, like a nice, homemade dessert. And I'd only have a cheat day if I hadn't had any treats all week.

Now I just fit treats in when I fancy them, staying in my calorie allowance. I'll have the occasional day when I go over calories like my birthday, Xmas day, wedding anniversary etc. I rarely eat back exercise calories so I create a big enough deficit to allow for this :)
  • Diondk
    Orphia wrote: »

not for me i only drink 1 or 2 beers on my cheat day, i wouldn't go to eat a burger on a normal day. i dont eat all my calories back so i have enough room to eat a burger on my cheat. day.

My GF is also working out so we have a cheat day together.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member

not for me i only drink 1 or 2 beers on my cheat day, i wouldn't go to eat a burger on a normal day. i dont eat all my calories back so i have enough room to eat a burger on my cheat. day.

It's not a cheat day because you are working into your calorie allowance.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Do what works for you and will keep you working towards your goal.

Personally, I just kept it at my daily calorie goal, so I did not want a "cheat" day. I didn't want to run the risk of extending the cheat day beyond one day. The story of my life and dieting. One day turned into two days. Two days into two weeks. Two weeks into two years. Two years into two decades.

Know yourself, and what works for you. This is all about you, so be selfish and however you get there is great!
  • AnnaMakepeace106
    AnnaMakepeace106 Posts: 12 Member
    one more thing to add... I've no idea how tall you are but from your profile pic you are already fairly slim (do you *really* have 12lbs to go?)

Your margin of error at your size is likely to be much smaller unless you are getting a decent amount of exercise, you aren't likely to have thousands of calories banked up to play with on a cheat day

I've gained weight since my profile pic was taken, that's what I want to get back to☺️
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Just say no to cheat days and learn how to fit the foods you want and dining out into your new lifestyle/habit. Sounds like you did fine doing that. I generally save my high calorie meals for weekends when I am more active and can eat more (I don't do small portions).
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Cheat days are why I regained eighty pounds. I had way too many cheat days and not enough reduced calorie days to make up for them. Since I'm back near my goal weight, I would rather not repeat that mistake.
  • aaron_mc29
    aaron_mc29 Posts: 56 Member
    I don't have a cheat day, am just conscious of only having one or two "less healthy" meals each week. This has backfired in the past though, as my body decided it didn't want to deal with greasy food after a week of grilled chicken and vegies!
  • Diondk
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

For me it is because i eat stuff i dont eat on normal days. I work into my calorie allowance because i feel guilty when i am going over it!
  • Nicshtik
    Nicshtik Posts: 36 Member
    I don't believe in "cheat days" - it makes me feel like I am doing something wrong, and if I feel like I need to cheat, how can my eating "habits" truly be habits and how can it be sustainable long-term?
    Every now and then, I truly crave something that is completely unhealthy (thank you PMS), and I have it. But I have it in moderation. I, feeling completely cruddy and wanting something VERY savory & satisfying (read rich and fattening), went out to dinner last night. I ordered an appetizer for the table (philly cheese steak egg rolls) and then, realizing JUST how awful I would feel if I piled something else unhealthy on top of that, a chicken cobb salad with a box. I ate 1/2 of an egg roll, 1/3 of the salad, 2 unsweetened iced teas, and declined bread and dessert. I left feeling satisfied and without going over my calories. I just had to make wise choices even when "treating" myself.
    Ok-wall of text: don't cheat, treat.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

For me it is because i eat stuff i dont eat on normal days. I work into my calorie allowance because i feel guilty when i am going over it!

If it fits within your calorie allowance, it isn't cheating.

We can eat whatever we feel like ... as long as it fits within our calorie allowance. I had half a cheesecake on my birthday ... but I did a long bicycle ride before I ate it, and so it fit within my calorie allowance. No cheating involved.

• wolfruhn
    wolfruhn Posts: 3,025 Member
    This is what MFP has to say on this subject. You can read all about 'cheat days' here:

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/the-problem-with-cheat-days/
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Ive got to much to lose to cheat LMAO....if I want something I just eat it Im an adult..stick it in your calories