Do you feel better walking fast or slow?

br3adman
br3adman Posts: 284 Member
I feel that walking slower for a longer time is much better. The faster I move the more my right foot arch and toe mound hurts. I can also walk more times when I move slower per day. How about you?

Replies

• Petrolhead75
    Petrolhead75 Posts: 45 Member
    Try to walk at a rate that gets your heart beating a little faster, then you know the cardio exercise is working. I would always walk at a pace that is comfortable though, all walking is good for you, and so underrated.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    I prefer walking as fast as I can. Where I live that speed may vary because of the terrain ... it's very hilly here, so I'm a little slower going up.

A tip ... get good footwear. :)
  • Allelito
    Allelito Posts: 179 Member
    It's different, sometimes I'll go for a brisk walk, but sometimes I just like to walk slowly, enjoy the sun, listen to some nice music.. :relaxed:
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I prefer walking as fast as I can. Where I live that speed may vary because of the terrain ... it's very hilly here, so I'm a little slower going up.

A tip ... get good footwear. :)

That may be a good idea. I'll have to get some good insoles the Dr scholls fall apart after a week..
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    If you are experiencing foot pain it may be that you are in need of either a pair of dedicated walking shoes or new ones altogether. Your city might have a shoe store that can do custom insoles for you should you find that off the shelf ones do not cut it.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    I have psoriatic arthritis and my foot joints are pretty messed up. I can walk fast for a half hour, but that's it or the foot pain gets too intense.

I've started experimenting with longer walks at a slower pace. I did manage 50 minutes the other day, but then that got to my SI joints. Baby steps for me.

I think I'll continue to do a mix of the two.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,454 Member
    I go at least fast enough to get my heart going... Somewhere between 15 and 17 minute miles. I think it's gives you more benefit that way. That said, a stroll outside just to enjoy life is therapeutic and also comes with benefits.
  • dondotwinks
    dondotwinks Posts: 93 Member
    I always wear my heart rate monitor for my dog walks, i like to do 3 a day ( we have 7 dogs) and vary in speed , there are also hills involved and uneven tracks as it's across fields, i find it very energising and could easily go some more if i had the time lol
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Intervals work very well for me. I usually start of walking normally as a warm up, ramp things up a little, then go as fast as I can (I'm practically jogging without the impact), then gradually bring things back down.

I can put miles and miles in, I don't get tired, but still get my heart rate up and keep it sustained for a while. Walking is my main cardio so it's important for me to get my heart rate going.

On the other hand on active rest days I just walk normally and that's great as well.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I walk fast...so fast in fact I was told to start running...so I did.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    I feel better walking slow with a good incline when on treadmill. Heck even outside, but I'm a slow mo. It's hard for me to walk fast.
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    It varies. I definitely love the 'high' I get when I push myself to go faster, but doing it every day can be kind of exhausting. Given I'm still very heavy, my body is not quite able to keep up with where my mind wants to be. I go shorter when I go faster, but if I take a slower walk, I'll usually walk for 45-60m.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    I only know one speed. FAST. I always walk over 4 miles per hour.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I have no idea if I walk fast or slow. I average 118 steps a minute. I'm guessing I'm somewhere in between the two??
  • sthoms2
    sthoms2 Posts: 41 Member
    I always walk really fast. I have to remember to slow down when I'm with anyone. I walk a mile to and from work everyday. It takes me about 15 mins. I could probably walk faster but then I would get there all sweaty.
  • alekth
    alekth Posts: 33 Member
    I walk fast, people complain. A colleague I met on the way to work once said I ran too slowly getting there. I've learned to tame my pace a bit when walking with my parents, but walking slowly with young people starts irking me pretty soon.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    I walk fast enough to keep my heart rate up.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Custom orthotics and physiotherapy have helped me a lot (I have a number of foot issues). I was once unable to walk (slowly) for longer than ten minutes. Now I can do an hour at 4+ mph on the treadmill, mixing up hills, etc.
  • jdepaz001
    jdepaz001 Posts: 2 Member
    br3adman wrote: »
    I feel that walking slower for a longer time is much better. The faster I move the more my right foot arch and toe mound hurts. I can also walk more times when I move slower per day. How about you?

Try to find the right shoe for you, perhaps you are overpronation or underpronation. The right shoe will help you walk better for longer time without getting injured.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    I walk fast. Other fast walkers often comment how they're pleasantly surprised that I keep up with them or even outpace them because they're not used to anyone walking the same speed as them.
    I just think it's inefficient to take 10 minutes to walk somewhere when you could walk it in 7. Honestly I'd probably run from store to store in a mall if it were socially acceptable to do so..