General Q and A thread for May.

13»

Replies

• Arianera
    Arianera Posts: 128 Member
    @Sidesteel Follow-up question to your video of a few days ago. You talk about how life-long logging is probably not necessary/in the best interest of most once maintaining at goal and once you readjust to satiety cues. I agree with that. The corollary question is do you think long-term measuring for portion control is valuable whether you log it or not?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Arianera wrote: »
    @Sidesteel Follow-up question to your video of a few days ago. You talk about how life-long logging is probably not necessary/in the best interest of most once maintaining at goal and once you readjust to satiety cues. I agree with that. The corollary question is do you think long-term measuring for portion control is valuable whether you log it or not?

Initially I'd say no, but I'm saying that because hopefully you will have acquired the habits necessary to roughly maintain body-weight without needing to measure things.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    HelenWater wrote: »
    I'm wondering how many times per week I should be doing strength training and if something like dragon boat paddling or boxing training counts as strength training? I have lost over 25kg and still have around 35kg to go. I thought it was time I incorporated strength training. I used kettle bells for the first time and liked the idea that they help with functional strength. Am I understanding kettle bells correctly or are dumb bells just as good? Your help is much appreciated.

Regarding injury I would consider getting a physical therapist to take a look at your femur issue in case it's a contraindication to certain exercises.

Excluding that, if your goal is an overall improvement in strength then boxing and paddling probably won't cut it although paddling will get you better at paddling. You would probably benefit from doing some sort of resistance training program -- whether you use dumbbells or barbells or KB's really depends, you could design a good program with any of those tools.
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Thanks.

• abigail659
    abigail659 Posts: 63 Member
    Hello There! I consider myself a newbie, although I've been on MFP for almost a year now. I've lost around 24lbs and haven't been completely satisfied with my results. (I’m 30 yrs old, 5’4, CW: 132, SW: 156.) My weight loss was mainly eating at a deficit and being slightly more active. I'm beginning to realize I may need to start lifting or building muscles. I joined a gym and met with a personal trainer and he showed me some exercises, but I'm not 100% sure they will get me where I want to be and they are not particularly what I would consider "lifting". They are more like calisthenics – various kettle ball squats, planks, pushups, leg lifts etc. I’ve been doing these recommended exercises 2-3 times per week (at home) along with a little cardio for the last month. I’m finding that I’m continuing to lose weight, which is good, because I do need to lose fat, but I’m wondering if doing a plan like this will get me anywhere or if I should drop this plan and go with strictly lifting? Also, for a total noob like me, is it recommended I get a personal trainer since weight lifting scares the daylights out of me?
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,688 Member
    Have you ever watched the gymnastics at the Olympics? Those athletes get their bodies primarily from bodyweight exercises, and nobody can call them out of shape!

As for getting a personal trainer, if you're scared, a personal trainer can go a long way to making you feel comfortable, even if you only get a few sessions rather than an ongoing arrangement.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    abigail659 wrote: »
    Hello There! I consider myself a newbie, although I've been on MFP for almost a year now. I've lost around 24lbs and haven't been completely satisfied with my results. (I’m 30 yrs old, 5’4, CW: 132, SW: 156.) My weight loss was mainly eating at a deficit and being slightly more active. I'm beginning to realize I may need to start lifting or building muscles. I joined a gym and met with a personal trainer and he showed me some exercises, but I'm not 100% sure they will get me where I want to be and they are not particularly what I would consider "lifting". They are more like calisthenics – various kettle ball squats, planks, pushups, leg lifts etc. I’ve been doing these recommended exercises 2-3 times per week (at home) along with a little cardio for the last month. I’m finding that I’m continuing to lose weight, which is good, because I do need to lose fat, but I’m wondering if doing a plan like this will get me anywhere or if I should drop this plan and go with strictly lifting? Also, for a total noob like me, is it recommended I get a personal trainer since weight lifting scares the daylights out of me?

What are your goals in order of preference? Lose weight, get stronger? Gain muscle?

Do you enjoy this type of exercising?

Is it something that would motivate you to do on your own?

Are you seeing the trainer regularly?

What exercise routines have you been doing and what others are you doing now?
  • abigail659
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

What are your goals in order of preference? Lose weight, get stronger? Gain muscle?

I'm having a hard time determining my goals, because I'm not sure which would get me the results I'm looking for. To be completely honest, I want a muscular body that will allow me to rock a bikini. If that means building muscle or losing weight, I'm all in.

I'm currently doing 15 mins cardio warmup, 1 min regular plank, 1 min side plank (each side), 30 crunches, 30 reverse crunches, 30 around the world (crunch with rotating the ball around thighs), 15 leg lifts, 15 kettle bell squats, 3x15 regular squats, 2x15 arm press with 10lb weights (palms facing, then thumbs facing)
    These exercises have been manageable and so far I've been self motivated to do them on my own and at home. I only visited with the trainer once because it was included with my gym membership an these were the recommended exercises. I would need to sign up for sessions and pay if I wanted to meet with him regularly.
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Has anyone heard of Promina Whey Isolate?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    How about protein powder made from crickets!

http://dailyburn.com/life/health/cricket-flour-protein-powder/

• Soybeaner
    Soybeaner Posts: 126 Member
    heybales wrote: »

You know on a bad day I ingest several gnats while I run. I have joked that they are protein. Perhaps this would a better insect protein :smiley:
  • schpitt
    schpitt Posts: 37 Member
    Popped my hamstring in rugby. I'm focusing on upper body at gym but is there any leg exercise I can do?
  • Sarauk2sf
    schpitt wrote: »
    Popped my hamstring in rugby. I'm focusing on upper body at gym but is there any leg exercise I can do?

Do you have a physio? Hamstrings are 'iffy' to work around tbh.
  • Sarauk2sf

I'm having a hard time determining my goals, because I'm not sure which would get me the results I'm looking for. To be completely honest, I want a muscular body that will allow me to rock a bikini. If that means building muscle or losing weight, I'm all in.

I'm currently doing 15 mins cardio warmup, 1 min regular plank, 1 min side plank (each side), 30 crunches, 30 reverse crunches, 30 around the world (crunch with rotating the ball around thighs), 15 leg lifts, 15 kettle bell squats, 3x15 regular squats, 2x15 arm press with 10lb weights (palms facing, then thumbs facing)
    These exercises have been manageable and so far I've been self motivated to do them on my own and at home. I only visited with the trainer once because it was included with my gym membership an these were the recommended exercises. I would need to sign up for sessions and pay if I wanted to meet with him regularly.

If you want to build/maintain muscle as well as lose fat, you will need a routine that incorporates progressive loading into it and has the appropriate amount of weight and volume. Calisthenics type workouts are ok at first, but will not get you very far as far as muscle goes after the initial impact of new stimulus goes away.

You can always combine - for example, do a 3 day a week full body routine, adding some 'sweaty stuff' at the end - as well as tack a session onto the end of your week. I would leave a rest day between that and your lifting though. So, for example, T, Th, Sat - lift. Sun, sweaty stuff.

How comfortable would you feel trying out lifts on your own (with video and instructional resources)?.
  • Sarauk2sf
    giusa wrote: »
    Has anyone heard of Promina Whey Isolate?

Not specifically, but its by Syntrax, which is a pretty solid brand. I don't think that they were one of the named brands that used fillers and got slammed for their misleading labeling.
  • Sarauk2sf
    heybales wrote: »

I bought some bee pollen powder once just to see.....gag....threw it away.
  • abigail659

If you want to build/maintain muscle as well as lose fat, you will need a routine that incorporates progressive loading into it and has the appropriate amount of weight and volume. Calisthenics type workouts are ok at first, but will not get you very far as far as muscle goes after the initial impact of new stimulus goes away.

You can always combine - for example, do a 3 day a week full body routine, adding some 'sweaty stuff' at the end - as well as tack a session onto the end of your week. I would leave a rest day between that and your lifting though. So, for example, T, Th, Sat - lift. Sun, sweaty stuff.

How comfortable would you feel trying out lifts on your own (with video and instructional resources)?.

Thanks for the confirmation. I love your example of lifting T, Th, Sat. I will use this schedule. Now, if only I can find a routine.
    Yes, if I had video and resources I would totally try it on my own. Do you have any reccomendations? I recently bought a cheap weight bench off craigslist. It's a basic bench with a 3lb bar and weights that total 100lbs. Hopefully that will get me going for a little while.
    BTW- I really appreciate you following up and being so kind and patient with me. BIG THANK YOU for taking time to educate me and others.
  • Sarauk2sf

Thanks for the confirmation. I love your example of lifting T, Th, Sat. I will use this schedule. Now, if only I can find a routine.
    Yes, if I had video and resources I would totally try it on my own. Do you have any reccomendations? I recently bought a cheap weight bench off craigslist. It's a basic bench with a 3lb bar and weights that total 100lbs. Hopefully that will get me going for a little while.
    BTW- I really appreciate you following up and being so kind and patient with me. BIG THANK YOU for taking time to educate me and others.

You are very welcome.

Would you be comfortable going to the gym to do some of your training? It will be easier/safer with a power cage if you are going to do a routine with squats. Do you have someone at home that can spot you?
  • abigail659

You are very welcome.

Would you be comfortable going to the gym to do some of your training? It will be easier/safer with a power cage if you are going to do a routine with squats. Do you have someone at home that can spot you?

Yes, I can go to the gym to use the power cage. At this point, I'm willing to do whatever is necessary and will need to get out of my comfort zone to make it work. At home, I can use my husband to spot me.