High Fiber Tracking?

Just wandering if anyone track fiber only? I began tracking and loving it..I am not worried about calories, am more focused on a High Fiber ,way of eating...Tummy and eating every 2-3 hours to keep my hunger at bay.I set my fiber at 100 and drinking plenty of fluids!

My Fiber food staples is wheat breads/bagels, peanut butter, canned red kidney beans, some fruits,wheat pasta.mushrooms,

Thanks for listening..

Replies

• abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    edited May 2015
    Unfortunately, my maintenance calories are so small that I can't give up counting calories. If I wanted to eat enough black beans to get me to 100g of fiber (1200g of black beans), I would already be near my maintenance calories (1580 in the black beans compared to my 1780 maintenance).

Personally, I don't consider peanut butter a high-fiber food. 2Tbsp of peanut butter only has 2g of fiber, but it takes up 10% of my daily calorie goal. I could get a lot more "bang for my buck" with a quest bar, black beans, or tons of broccoli.

Ultimately, if you want to lose weight, it's all calories in vs. calories out. Even if you get 200g of fiber in a day, it's not going to do much if you're eating above your maintenance calories.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    I get a *lot* of fiber from food - an average of 46g per day for the last week. I would have great difficulty getting to 100g a day without eating at a large surplus, or without resorting to supplements.

Kidney beans give you 22 calories per gram of fiber. Even the Explore Asia black bean spaghetti only has 1g of fiber per 15 calories. Raspberries have 1g of fiber per 8 calories, but even still, that's a lot of raspberries.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Why would you (a) want to eat that much fibre and (b) focus solely on fibre intake when your goal is weight loss?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    My goal is 50g of fibre, which I can only hit with an added fibre supplement, and it shoots UP my carbs.. Fibre is important, but so is protein and fat, both of which you are probably seriously lacking in your diet. What about your other nutrients, how are you getting them in??

I'm no dietician, but a quick glance at your diary made me think of one word.. Unbalanced. You can eat all the fibre in the world, but if you're not in a deficit you will not lose weight.

Is this high fibre diet one of the faddy internet eating trends doing the rounds right now?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited May 2015
    Wow 100g of fiber... I'd be eating way too much to reach that... I already eat 5-6 servings of veggies a day and typically reach 35g with 1800 calories...

And your diet is way lacking in protein and fat. Not healthy at all IMO. I don't even understand how you're not starving with such a diet. I need protein and fat with my fiber to keep me satisfied...
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    100g seems like a very high goal. Any particular rationale? I find anything over 40 is enough for me in terms of satiety and, erm, other fibre related issues, and 25g is considered adequate.

I get about 45-70g most days, since I eat a lot of berries, beans and veggies, but 100 would be a stretch, and I don't think I could do it without overeating in general.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited May 2015
    38 grams of fiber a day is plenty for a grown 200+ lb. man
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Wow 100g of fiber... I'd be eating way too much to reach that... I already eat 5-6 servings of veggies a day and typically reach 35g with 1800 calories...

And your diet is way lacking in protein and fat. Not healthy at all IMO. I don't even understand how you're not starving with such a diet. I need protein and fat with my fiber to keep me satisfied...

From a look through the past week or so, this seems to be a swing from what at times seemed to be a low carb diet, the fibre thing is new.

I think it would perhaps be better if you aimed for balance and moderation rather than going all out with fads, then gorging on what you have been depriving yourself of. You need something sustainable.