Low Carb Success?

tina4kids
tina4kids Posts: 24 Member
Has anyone had success with losing a lot of weight and keeping it off with Low Carb Dieting? I started a low carb lifestyle 7 weeks ago and so far, have lost 22 lbs. Just wondering if I will continue to lose, and how much weight I can lose, if I continue. My goal was to lose around 100 lbs. Thank you in advance!

Replies

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Down 60 since November. Prior to that, maintained for 13 years, only gained after I got sick. There are a few threads of success stories in the LCD group (which I saw you found), and you'll find plenty more here.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    MANY MANY folks! (I'm not one who's tried). See JPW's link above.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Yep. You just have to make sure it's something you enjoy and can stick with long term. I still really enjoy it but I'm not as strict. Since I like to eat a lot of carbs, the pounds crept back on from the calories. Working on finding a happy medium.
  • mandapanda8313
    mandapanda8313 Posts: 18 Member
    I have two friends who stuck with the low carb diet, and both lost 100 Ibs each! If you can stick with it, give it a shot
  • KellyLouiseGibson
    KellyLouiseGibson Posts: 175 Member
    1yn6dck3ctla.jpg

YES LOW CARBS WORKS FOR ME.
    I started my weight loss 5 months ago and I have lost a total of 3 stone 1 pound.
    I have never gained weight in the whole of the 5 months only lost weight. Usually i struggle to lose weight as well cause I put on weight so easily.
    I eat lots of protein and veg etc very minor carbs.
    I still have another stone and a half to burn to get the flat stomach I have always wanted but I am so determined I know I can do it.
    Good Luck x
  • PowerKickChic
    PowerKickChic Posts: 108 Member
    I'm not low carb. I believe in a balanced diet but if it works for you, then that's great! I do eat meals without them every once in a while. If your going out to eat, my go-to meal is chili's shrimp fajitas. I don't eat the the tortillas at all and just the veggies, meat and some toppings. It will fill you up and you save like 260 calories.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    tina4kids wrote: »
    Has anyone had success with losing a lot of weight and keeping it off with Low Carb Dieting? I started a low carb lifestyle 7 weeks ago and so far, have lost 22 lbs. Just wondering if I will continue to lose, and how much weight I can lose, if I continue. My goal was to lose around 100 lbs. Thank you in advance!

You will continue to lose as long as you're in a calorie deficit. You will stop losing when you are no longer in a calorie deficit. This is regardless of your carbohydrate consumption.

Remember also that the dramatic initial weight loss is usually due to water weight loss. It is unlikely that you will continue to lose at your previous rate of ~3 lbs/week. Do not become discouraged when this happens.

If eating low carbohydrate foods help keep you within your calorie limits to lose weight, that's great, you do you. Just know that you don't HAVE to eat low carb to see this kind of success.
  • tina4kids
    Thank you all for the input! This is the first time in YEARS that I have been able to lose weight. I honestly did not think I could do low carb, because that's my weakness and my favorite type of food! But since I started, it has been so easy and I have not craved carbs at all! I know I can live this way for awhile, but didn't know if I would continue to lose weight or how long it would take to lose about 100 lbs.

And another thing.... I have been tired alot lately. I don't know if it is due to a low carb diet or my new job!
  • l3eware0f4ire
    l3eware0f4ire Posts: 82 Member
    How low carb are you? Could you be low enough to be getting the keto flu? If low enough that could be the cause.
  • tina4kids
    How low carb are you? Could you be low enough to be getting the keto flu? If low enough that could be the cause.

I usually have between 20-50 carbs a day. What is keto flu and what are the symptoms?
    Sorry for so many questions.... Can you tell I'm new?!? :)
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    check out dietdoctor.com
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    I have been tired alot lately. I don't know if it is due to a low carb diet or my new job!

Sounds like keto-flu to me. Up your electrolytes and mayhaps take some magnesium supplements and you'll start feeling better. Also make sure you're getting plenty of water.
  • kristenlarkin
    kristenlarkin Posts: 235 Member
    I stay under 20g of carbs a day and it is so easy.

SW July 21, 2014: 267
    CW: 148
    GW: 120s

I'm 5'3
  • sheen08
    sheen08 Posts: 1 Member
    What do you all eat on the low carb diet?? I tried it a few times, but every time I just get sick of eating eggs and meat.. There's not a lot of variety available.
    I would love to be able to follow it longer and im convinced this is what my body needs, as it doesn't react well to carbs at all.
    I've also had blood sugar issues when I was pregnant, so I know that carbs are not good for me at all... But I don't know where and how to start.. I think I might be addicted to carbs :(
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    I eat loads of veggies like spinach and broccoli, almonds, chicken, tofu, deli meats, ground beef. Go on pinterest if you're on there and look up "low carb recipes". So many to choose from!
  • tina4kids

I'm 5'3

Wow! You have lost a lot of weight in less than a year! I bet you feel great! What kind of foods do you eat to stay under 20 carbs? Do you also exercise? I haven't started exercise yet.
  • charlene77
    charlene77 Posts: 250 Member
    Following
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    sheen08 wrote: »
    What do you all eat on the low carb diet?? I tried it a few times, but every time I just get sick of eating eggs and meat.. There's not a lot of variety available.
    I would love to be able to follow it longer and im convinced this is what my body needs, as it doesn't react well to carbs at all.
    I've also had blood sugar issues when I was pregnant, so I know that carbs are not good for me at all... But I don't know where and how to start.. I think I might be addicted to carbs :(

Everything on this list from the top down to plums can be easily fit into even the most restrictive LC (keto) on a daily basis:
    95xl2Te.jpg
    Everything from plums to garlic can be easily fit in in very small amounts (garlic, ginger, etc) or with careful planning on a weekly or monthly basis.

Dates are a tough fit even if you have a high carb limit, and mushrooms are supposed to be on the top half of the list above the plums. All measurements are 100g, so weigh accordingly, and in most cases you'll probably only have 50g or less of any given item, especially on the top half of the list. If you're outside the US, the "net carb" columns at the end correspond to how carbs are already labelled in your country.

Use those for your carb sources, allowing the odd 3-5 to account for eggs, cheese, mayo, etc.
  • kristenlarkin
    kristenlarkin Posts: 235 Member
    edited May 2015

I'm 5'3

Wow! You have lost a lot of weight in less than a year! I bet you feel great! What kind of foods do you eat to stay under 20 carbs? Do you also exercise? I haven't started exercise yet.

Yes! It feels wonderful. I can't wait to get the last 20 pounds or so off, which I'm expecting to go much slower.

You'd be surprised at how much there is to eat. To get Net carbs you can subtract the fiber and sugar alcohol from the total carbs. I didn't start out counting net carbs and stuck to total, but the last few months I will count net carbs every once in a while.

Personally, I don't watch my calories at all, some people do. I have days where I'm not hungry and I eat barely anything and I have days where all I do is eat all day.

I don't eat many fruits, but once in awhile I'll eat a couple strawberries or blue berries.

Veggies, I pretty much eat green stuff such as salad, broccoli, green beans, zucchini, cauliflower, green pepper, little onion.

I eat all meats

Eggs, cheese and meats are big with low carbers

I use a ton of butter, spices and cheese, ranch dressing, sour cream and mayo

I drink mostly chrystal light or water, I'll drink diet pop on rare occassion, but only because I'm not a huge fan of diet pop. It doesn't seem to hurt my weight loss.

My favorite snack lately is guacamole and pork rinds (I hate pork rinds but dipped in guac is wonderful) If I'm desperate I'll eat a couple squirts of chocolate whip cream. If I am really really desperate I'll eat sugar free candy, but I limit that because it upsets my stomach if I eat too much. Once or twice a week lately I have eaten carb smart ice cream with Walden Farm's pancake syrup (sounds gross, but it is amazing) I used to look up recipes for fat bombs and make them, but I haven't needed to lately.

There are a ton of recipes on the "I love low carb" page on facebook. Atkins.com also has a lot of information and a list of what you can eat. There is also a group of low carbers on this site that has a ton of info too.
  • LoreA1960
    LoreA1960 Posts: 107 Member
    I have to be on a low carb plan because I'm a diabetic. I count both carbs and calories. Since December 16, 2014 I've lost at least 48 pounds. I only weigh once a month when I see my Diabetic Educator. I started off at a high weight (418 lbs.) , so I don't know when I'll hit a plateau. Good luck with your journey!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!