My mom Does not belive that a calorie deficit is for weight loss and carbs only make you fat

My mom still believes that a calorie deficit is not the way to weight loss, and believes carbs are the only reason for gaining weight.. She claimed that at one point she tried the "Calorie Deficit" with carbs and still gained, but she never ways her food or does not even know her total daily energy expenditure, and was eating more than she thought she was. Can anyone link me to a scientific article with absolute proof of the calorie deficit is the way for fat/weight loss PLEASE! Nobody listens to me around here...

Replies

• kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Have you shown her the success section of this site?
  • megablackk1d
    megablackk1d Posts: 67 Member
    Have you shown her the success section of this site?

I tried, but she won't believe anything I say. She won't even look at any of it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    She is stuck in the media / marketing scam of weight loss scams

Nothing you say will change her mind

It's like a religion ...it needs no proof, it just is based on faith
  • megablackk1d

She wouldn't even look at that bro, I just tried
  • Sued0nim
    Also you're her kid...you've probably spent the last few years treating her like an idiot whilst thinking that you know it all

She is not going to listen to you

Why does it matter?
  • megablackk1d
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    She is stuck in the media / marketing scam of weight loss scams

Nothing you say will change her mind

It's like a religion ...it needs no proof, it just is based on faith

I think you are right I can't get through to her
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Show her this:

I've been extreme low carb for 15 years, usually below 30g/day, never above 50g. If I eat too many calories, I gain weight, which is why I am here. If I eat at a deficit, I lose weight. If I eat the correct number of calories, I maintain, which I did for 13 years. Carbs are not magic unicorn poop that make fat appear or disappear.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    If she won't even look, there's no way to prove it. Unfortunately, no matter what you believe, on the Internet you can find plenty of support for it. So you two could get into a "read this!" war, but nobody will win.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member

She wouldn't even look at that bro, I just tried

then nothing you do will help until she decides for herself to stop leaning on her fantasies for an excuse.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Why change her mind?

Let her wonder why she never loses weight.

Let her get carb wrath.

Eventually she'll learn or not. Won't affect you any.
  • megablackk1d
    I have tried everything from google she won't believe any of it, she keeps saying she wants something from a scholar, doctor, or actual scientific evidence. She thinks I have a biased mind off of what Ive read and watched from the internet.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Well, when you reach your goals, you can be her proof. :) My mom is the same way & I just let her do her thing and I just shut up, otherwise we just argue.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    My mom is the same way...stuck in the old way of thinking. Let it be what it is, and do your own thing. You will never change her mind.
  • Sued0nim
    He's a teen boy I reckon, he's building muscle from what I can see ...prime time

She's his mom, the more he yaks at her the less she will listen

Just say "well if it works for you mom" and carry on carrying on
  • megablackk1d
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    He's a teen boy I reckon, he's building muscle from what I can see ...prime time

She's his mom, the more he yaks at her the less she will listen

Just say "well if it works for you mom" and carry on carrying on

I was a teen about 28 days ago just turned 20 ohhh how I miss my teenage years haha thanks for your help
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    I'm not sure why this all matters? She's an individual. Let her make her own decisions/beliefs and you make yours. If she asks for help, then offer your knowledge, otherwise, lead by example. She's an adult. If she's determined and serious about weight loss, she'll find out what she needs to know.
  • Sued0nim
    edited May 2015
    I'm 48 (probably older than your mom)

I lost 53 lbs in 9 months, 3 months at maintenance ...my diet is 50-60% carbs (white toast, white rice, crisps, potatoes...yum) but I hit minimum protein and fats macros first and eat a lot of veg

I did low carb 3 or 4 times in the last 30 years, each time I lost quickly (water weight) and put back on just as quickly, and more so (crash and burn from restriction)

I lift heavy and I look feckin' awesome ;)
  • Desert_Breeze
    Desert_Breeze Posts: 4 Member
    Are you still living at home? Do you agree on everything with your mom? Have you both learned to respect each other enough to allow each other to 'respectfully agree to disagree' on any topics? At 20, you can set your own boundaries. Sure, if she's nagging or meddlesome, that might be an issue....it's things like this that allow young adults to realize when it's time to leave the nest, if they haven't already. Let her live her life, and you live yours. That means though you shouldn't expect her to cook food for you that you want. If you are old enough to set your own parameters and boundaries, you are old enough to buy and cook your own food, too. :)

I say just quit trying to change her life, and focus on your own. And use the above as guidelines for talking points with her if you want, because it's coming from a 63 year old grandma. :) (who combines low carbs WITH calorie counting.) ;)
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    To your mother, you will forever be 5 years old, and what would a 5 year old know about calorie deficits?