Anyone got any tips for constipation, natural remedies??

Replies

• AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    An apple works wonders for me.
  • ljk0615
    ljk0615 Posts: 160 Member
    I take 800 mg of magnesium each night before bed. Works great. Be careful not to take too much though, you will get the runs.
  • aComputerHero
    aComputerHero Posts: 20 Member
    Just get stuck in traffic or go somewhere that doesn't have a bathroom.
  • jema99
    jema99 Posts: 6 Member
    Walking. Walk, walk and walk. My grandmother used to tell me that walking was the best thing for your bowels, and that is still my favorite exercise, whether on a treadmill or outside with my dog. I was sick for two weeks and didn't walk and kaboom! Here it came, so to speak.

Thats what I was always told too and sometimes it works and other times no relief. But I love walking.

Too much fibre can actually make you constipated, especially in people with bowel issues. You need to slowly increase fibre into the diet and drink lots of water. Also get probiotics into your system it helps make everything a bit more neutral.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Coffee and jumping jacks.... Though not at the same time. :smile:
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Increase water/fluids, more fiber, and fats.
  • Miss2Honest
    Miss2Honest Posts: 3 Member
    8 oz Lemon water on an empty stomach... walk for at least 30 minutes after drinking. ..recommended 25 grams fiber for women 35 grams fiber for men per day ...and apple juice throughout the day: 1st day..following days just drink 8 oz lemon whatever on empty stomach in the morning, I recommend walking between 15-30 minutes afterwards at choice of pace, recommended daily fiber intake, plenty of fluids (especially water)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    pears, watermelons, peaches, apples
  • Legshurtallthetime
    Legshurtallthetime Posts: 1 Member
    Chia seeds sprinkled on a salad
  • SearsBD62052
    SearsBD62052 Posts: 32 Member
    More water, Magnesium tablets..... water, water, water.
  • SearsBD62052
    SearsBD62052 Posts: 32 Member
    coffee in the morning works for me too
  • dananeiding
    dananeiding Posts: 1 Member
    Take magnesium supplement before bed. Start with 500mg and should have relief in the morning :wink:
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Nearly all laxative products are made from the plant senna. So, yes, they're natural.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senna_glycoside

No need to avoid them. Just use in moderation, like absolutely anything.
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Onions fried in butter. Alot of it.
    Don't ask me why this works, I have no idea.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    10g of chia seeds in my smoothie every day worked for me
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    A pear followed by coffee, before breakfast, for me. Certain yoga/stretch poses seem to help - anything lying down where you twist the torso and legs sideways, for a start.

In general, after you ensure that you are getting enough of:
    - water
    - Fat
    - Movement
    - Fiber,

The next step before looking for medical solutions seems to be individual, everyone has a different natural "remedy" that works best on their system, they just need to find it.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    I drink a cup of tea called Smooth Move every night before bed. Ingredients: Organic senna, chamomile, bitter fennel and peppermint. Works wonders. You can eat lots of fiber like Fiber One Cereal, etc. but don't forget to drink plenty of water.
  • kallston89
    kallston89 Posts: 29 Member
    Water as hot as you can tolerate with lemon in it works great. Green tea always seems to help me go as well.