Fast Pace Walking - Damaged Toes

Hi all, I have been Fast Pace walking for over a year now, all was ok with my toes until I took part in a 10k walk, when I finished the toes on my right leg were black!, they have never really got better, I have lost the big toe nail, (chiropodist said all is ok). My question is what can I do to stop re-damaging them, I have good shoes, good socks, shoes are laced properly. I really do not know, they hurt when I'm doing distances of over 10k (usually once a week). Any ideas are more than welcome. :)

Replies

• efwolfcub
    efwolfcub Posts: 99 Member
    I would get a second opinion to be honest. Do you have sensation in the toes that are black? are they still warm to touch? To be honest, as an RN, the only time I've seen black toes, gangrene was involved.
  • blossomtime
    blossomtime Posts: 4 Member
    I would definately get a medical assessment. But I've read in running magazines that black toes and mangled toe nails are not uncommon in long-distance runners - and I would guess in long-distance walkers too. Maybe in addition to a medical opinion, log onto a running website and post a question there?
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Sounds serious and agree you need a second opinion preferably from a vascular surgeon. Good luck!
  • Eileen828
    Eileen828 Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks guys, the toes are warm, its the nails that are black, (sorry my mistake). After a long walk, I will give myself cold and hot teatment as recommended by a marathon runner, who happens to have a sports shop near here. I have found it depends on socks, the thicker the sock the less pain! Plus next day all is fine no pain just ugly toe nails. I will be seeing my Doc soon so I will mention it, no doubt alarm bells will ring (I'm at an age when they either ignore me, or panic!). :)