Is it true that Bananas will make you gain because of the high sugar content?

L0vAnj
L0vAnj Posts: 45 Member
My sister heard this from herbal life so I was wondering, and also potatoes turns into starch fat?

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    lol.... no.

Weight gain comes from EXCESS CALORIES. Not if you have a 80 calorie salad, over an 80 calorie banana.

Excess calories = weight gain

Deficit in calories = weight loss

Simple as that.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    herbal life

What she heard doesn't even qualify as junk science.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    MrM27 wrote: »
    It's not true. Caloric surplus will make you gain weight. What in the world is starch fat???

Yeeeah, this. Are we making up words, now? :/
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    L0vAnj wrote: »
    My sister heard this from herbal life so I was wondering, and also potatoes turns into starch fat?

I found your problem, though.

• MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Not true.
  • anrebma
    anrebma Posts: 33 Member
    if you're on facebook, check out Hungry Girl's page, she just posted an article about this exact topic.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Herbalife will say anything to sell product, and their distributors are not qualified professionals. They are more interested in sales than passing along accurate information.
  • FearlessRobb
    FearlessRobb Posts: 249 Member
    Average banana has 110 calories , sugars have a small effect when its a natural sugar like a fruit. of course eating to many isn't good either.
    I hear people say a banana is only 55-60 calories but if you do some research 1 banana is 2 servings.

I try to limit my fruit to 1-3 fruits a day depending on size like 1 apple, 1 banana, 1 -2 kiwi.
    As for sugar I don't worry about since all my sugar basically comes from fruit and veggies so it rarely ever goes over the goal limit that MFP even sets
    Example goal sugar 70
    Apple 17
    banana 19
    2 Kiwi 26
    Total 62 Not even over and that's before added exercise (of course the lighter you are the less sugar goal) But with exercise and as long as its natural sugar you shouldn't have a problem with extra sugar.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,404 Member
    o.m.g. The madness!!
  • FearlessRobb
    FearlessRobb Posts: 249 Member

Potatoes are bad but not bad.
    Sweet potatoes are amazing because they have allot of vitamins and antioxidants that your body wants and need. I also find that sweet potatoes taste better
    Regular potatoes are around the same calories per G and same carbs but don't have all the good stuff sweet potatoes do.

If you
    : want a low carb diet then potatoes are bad
    : carb cycling then you want them only on high carb days
    : find they fit your macros go for it. its better than a non natural food
  • HealthDetermined
    HealthDetermined Posts: 13 Member
    Bananas are good for you. As long as you fit them within your daily cals limit, you will be fine.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member

Yes, all the obese people you see, you were mistaken if you thought they are overeating, or if you were blaming too much junk food, too big portions. It is the evil bananas that are making them fat.
  • anrebma
    anrebma Posts: 33 Member
    bananas have a higher sugar and carb content than some other fruits, however people often forget the wonderful nutritional value of them! They are a fantastic source of potassium and vitamin c!!!
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Bananas also contain radioactive potassium and will melt your brain from the inside out.

Stay away from bananas, evil, nasty things.

(YMMV) ;)
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Yesterday was a 4 banana day so today I will obviously put on the 130 pounds I lost. Maybe I need to go to Bananas Anonymous
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Bananas are the best fruit. There is no excuse not to eat them.
  • flinx1241
    flinx1241 Posts: 2,170 Member
    The whole "bananas are de debil" thing amuses me. Love 'em, myself...
  • Erida_Zgjana
    Erida_Zgjana Posts: 6 Member
    It's true that It contains sugar more than other fruits like apples or kiwis, but anyway if u eat just one a day it's OK.
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    Yesterday was a 4 banana day so today I will obviously put on the 130 pounds I lost. Maybe I need to go to Bananas Anonymous

They only meet on Thursdays, ever since the banana pickers' unions got involved.