Tips for bum/thigh workout that doesn't involve gymming?

2»

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    fuerin wrote: »
    I guess I'm still hopeful that there's some magical way to melt flab off specific areas even if everyone says otherwise =P

Ha, I know what you mean. No go though, sorry :/
  • PeppermintJoy
    PeppermintJoy Posts: 10 Member
    Umm, I don't have access to a gym either but here is what I've been doing. I use my bed (lol) I lay in the middle and stretch my arms out to the edges. Then lifting one leg and cross it over to the other side of the bed- holding it there for about a count of thirty. Then I switch to the other leg. I count it one set when I've don't both legs. I 've lost inches off my hips and thighs doing this. I also stand at a chair (or counter) and do 'side leg lifts' to a count of thirty or more. I feel the pull on the inner thighs with this. My 'cross over' stretches pulls on the hips and calf's as I point my toes. I don't know if I explained it well enough, but it's working for me. My pants and jeans are looser in the hips and waist. I like that enough to keep doing this.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Umm, I don't have access to a gym either but here is what I've been doing. I use my bed (lol) I lay in the middle and stretch my arms out to the edges. Then lifting one leg and cross it over to the other side of the bed- holding it there for about a count of thirty. Then I switch to the other leg. I count it one set when I've don't both legs. I 've lost inches off my hips and thighs doing this. I also stand at a chair (or counter) and do 'side leg lifts' to a count of thirty or more. I feel the pull on the inner thighs with this. My 'cross over' stretches pulls on the hips and calf's as I point my toes. I don't know if I explained it well enough, but it's working for me. My pants and jeans are looser in the hips and waist. I like that enough to keep doing this.

You lost fat from your calorie deficit.
  • PeppermintJoy
    Arditarose, would that not be a good thing? Am I missing what you are saying? Sorry..
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Arditarose, would that not be a good thing? Am I missing what you are saying? Sorry..

It's a great thing! You just said in your post that you "lost inches" doing these exercises. It was your calorie deficit. I squat 180, dead lift 200...and whatever fat I lost came from my calorie deficit too.
  • PeppermintJoy
    Ohhh so that is what this is. LOL, I'm just looking at my tape measure and going 'inches' that's good. Fat sounds better. Thanks. I'll keep this in mind.
  • yhealthy2000
    yhealthy2000 Posts: 111 Member
    Definitely walk at a brisk pace for 2 to 3 miles everyday!! Go on trails. That will help. Also eating healthy meals will help!!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited May 2015
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    also pear shape women loses weight...

bf98106b4b570a86443b8bd34b64e685.jpg

so just focus on working out your body, it will even out eventually.

I think she might have had some surgical assistance up top. Nothing's wrong with that.

But the reality is if you're a pear, you definitely will lose on your upper half, and well before your thigh stuff goes, too.

I don't think being a lean pear is a terrible look, though. Keeping your muscle wherever you can will give you shape.

I believe I said, these shapes just determine where you store fat. So get rid of the fat and that shape is gone for the most part.

Right - when a pear loses fat, the part of the shape that goes first is the part they usually want to keep, and it's not a part that can really be adjusted with weight training :/ You can build shoulders and arms, but that's not what most pears are concerned about. You wind up being average-to-lean-ish on the bottom and really lean up top.

Which again, isn't a bad thing, necessarily, but it does mean adjusting expectations.
  • fuerin
    fuerin Posts: 8 Member
    Thanks for all the tips everyone! =) Running turned out not to be for me unfortunately- I didn't enjoy it at all. However, I have been going to a Zumba class and playing badminton, and I've taken up swimming, so hopefully it'll all help over time. I have to admit I'm not serious enough to take up weight training or anything hardcore- my goal is to keep it nice and fun while slowly easing into a healthier lifestyle. It's definitely nice to be surrounded by inspired people while I do that!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    You just need to lose the fat. Running REALLY slims down most people's, or at least many people's, legs. When I started running my legs pretty quickly (like in a few weeks) looked noticeably slimmer. Over time, they developed a nice curvy but not bulky look.

In my case, when I later added sprints the quads actually got a little larger because the sprints built more muscle. But long, steady state runs don't have that effect on me...they just slim my legs down.
    ^^ True, this was the case for me too :smile:
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Squats and lunges, honey. Squats and lunges. With some stiff-legged deadlifts for those hammies. And calf raises. But mostly squats and lunges.

Fun fact: I'm making it one of my goals for next school year to lunge my way to the copier on my planning period.
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Kettlebell swings target the hamstrings and glutes.
  • JessMason24
    JessMason24 Posts: 38 Member
    bump