Tips for bum/thigh workout that doesn't involve gymming?

Options
2»

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    fuerin wrote: »
    I guess I'm still hopeful that there's some magical way to melt flab off specific areas even if everyone says otherwise =P

Ha, I know what you mean. No go though, sorry :/
  • PeppermintJoy
    PeppermintJoy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Umm, I don't have access to a gym either but here is what I've been doing. I use my bed (lol) I lay in the middle and stretch my arms out to the edges. Then lifting one leg and cross it over to the other side of the bed- holding it there for about a count of thirty. Then I switch to the other leg. I count it one set when I've don't both legs. I 've lost inches off my hips and thighs doing this. I also stand at a chair (or counter) and do 'side leg lifts' to a count of thirty or more. I feel the pull on the inner thighs with this. My 'cross over' stretches pulls on the hips and calf's as I point my toes. I don't know if I explained it well enough, but it's working for me. My pants and jeans are looser in the hips and waist. I like that enough to keep doing this.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Umm, I don't have access to a gym either but here is what I've been doing. I use my bed (lol) I lay in the middle and stretch my arms out to the edges. Then lifting one leg and cross it over to the other side of the bed- holding it there for about a count of thirty. Then I switch to the other leg. I count it one set when I've don't both legs. I 've lost inches off my hips and thighs doing this. I also stand at a chair (or counter) and do 'side leg lifts' to a count of thirty or more. I feel the pull on the inner thighs with this. My 'cross over' stretches pulls on the hips and calf's as I point my toes. I don't know if I explained it well enough, but it's working for me. My pants and jeans are looser in the hips and waist. I like that enough to keep doing this.

You lost fat from your calorie deficit.
  • PeppermintJoy
    Options
    Arditarose, would that not be a good thing? Am I missing what you are saying? Sorry..
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Arditarose, would that not be a good thing? Am I missing what you are saying? Sorry..

It's a great thing! You just said in your post that you "lost inches" doing these exercises. It was your calorie deficit. I squat 180, dead lift 200...and whatever fat I lost came from my calorie deficit too.
  • PeppermintJoy
    Options
    Ohhh so that is what this is. LOL, I'm just looking at my tape measure and going 'inches' that's good. Fat sounds better. Thanks. I'll keep this in mind.
  • yhealthy2000
    yhealthy2000 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Definitely walk at a brisk pace for 2 to 3 miles everyday!! Go on trails. That will help. Also eating healthy meals will help!!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    also pear shape women loses weight...

bf98106b4b570a86443b8bd34b64e685.jpg

so just focus on working out your body, it will even out eventually.

I think she might have had some surgical assistance up top. Nothing's wrong with that.

But the reality is if you're a pear, you definitely will lose on your upper half, and well before your thigh stuff goes, too.

I don't think being a lean pear is a terrible look, though. Keeping your muscle wherever you can will give you shape.

I believe I said, these shapes just determine where you store fat. So get rid of the fat and that shape is gone for the most part.

Right - when a pear loses fat, the part of the shape that goes first is the part they usually want to keep, and it's not a part that can really be adjusted with weight training :/ You can build shoulders and arms, but that's not what most pears are concerned about. You wind up being average-to-lean-ish on the bottom and really lean up top.

Which again, isn't a bad thing, necessarily, but it does mean adjusting expectations.
  • fuerin
    fuerin Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips everyone! =) Running turned out not to be for me unfortunately- I didn't enjoy it at all. However, I have been going to a Zumba class and playing badminton, and I've taken up swimming, so hopefully it'll all help over time. I have to admit I'm not serious enough to take up weight training or anything hardcore- my goal is to keep it nice and fun while slowly easing into a healthier lifestyle. It's definitely nice to be surrounded by inspired people while I do that!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    You just need to lose the fat. Running REALLY slims down most people's, or at least many people's, legs. When I started running my legs pretty quickly (like in a few weeks) looked noticeably slimmer. Over time, they developed a nice curvy but not bulky look.

In my case, when I later added sprints the quads actually got a little larger because the sprints built more muscle. But long, steady state runs don't have that effect on me...they just slim my legs down.
    ^^ True, this was the case for me too :smile:
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Squats and lunges, honey. Squats and lunges. With some stiff-legged deadlifts for those hammies. And calf raises. But mostly squats and lunges.

Fun fact: I'm making it one of my goals for next school year to lunge my way to the copier on my planning period.
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell swings target the hamstrings and glutes.
  • JessMason24
    JessMason24 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bump