weight loss + pcos

Options
Hey all

Ok so, I recently was diagnosed with pcos (polycystic ovary syndrome) and of course with pcos I have the big belly and the fast weight gain (20kg in 6months) I have the stretch marks to prove it. I'm on a 1200 cal deficit (I'm 5ft and I'm 73kg).

I was wondering g if anyone on here is goi g through the same thing. Pcos stuff up your insulin and hormones with promotes the weight gain and apparently it's hard to lose. People with pcos get tired really easily so I know for sure how hard it is.

Would love some tips.

P.s. please don't go off about my 1200 cal deficit, for my bmi it's ok.

Replies

• terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I would try to eat a little more. I'm not going off on you, but if you get stuck in a plateau at 1200 cal/day, you really shouldn't eat less than that to get the ball rolling again. What type of exercise program are you doing? I'd do something with HIIT workouts for cardio and a good amount of weight training. It just comes down to time and consistency with nutrition and exercise.

Hit me up, I'm always happy to help out :smile:
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    TaraJerard wrote: »
    Hey all

Ok so, I recently was diagnosed with pcos (polycystic ovary syndrome) and of course with pcos I have the big belly and the fast weight gain (20kg in 6months) I have the stretch marks to prove it. I'm on a 1200 cal deficit (I'm 5ft and I'm 73kg).

I was wondering g if anyone on here is goi g through the same thing. Pcos stuff up your insulin and hormones with promotes the weight gain and apparently it's hard to lose. People with pcos get tired really easily so I know for sure how hard it is.

Would love some tips.

P.s. please don't go off about my 1200 cal deficit, for my bmi it's ok.

My suggestion is to do some cardio to up what you can eat each day. With PCOS your BMR will be lower than the average woman's BMR. Cardio (not crazy amounds, I'm talking 30 minutes of walking or running 3-4 times a week, or the approximate equivalent of that) can help you have more calories to eat. I find that HIIT ups my hunger but easy cardio like walking or running suppresses it a bit. I also always recommend strength training too. If you look around online (google "strength training pcos") you'll find a ton of info on why it's good for you. PCOS doesn't mean that you have to gain weight or be tired (I've actually never heard of the latter as a side effect but there is a big range of symptoms.)
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Research insulin resistance and eat lower carb. PCOS mimics diabetes when it comes to food (not 100% sure why). Calories are still important, but the lower carbs will help you to feel fuller and stay within your calorie limit.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it making you more tired. Once I started exercising I wasn't sluggish anymore. I don't know if its necessary to eat that low consistently. I carb and calorie cycle with chris powells choose more lose more and its bee tge only thing to get it going. Of course I have to exercise alot bc of the pcos or it just doesn't go anywhere.
  • TaraJerard
    TaraJerard Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yup it sure does make you tired, well for me anyway. I guess everyone is different. . I should mention that I am a nurse and i have done my homework on it. I just wanted to know what kind of exercises work best for people in the same position. and thanks for the replies every. Much appreciated.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I do have PCOS and exercise ...mix of strength training and cardio works well for me. A low carb diet is recommended as well and I did it initially but always maintained a cal deficit.
  • TaraJerard
    TaraJerard Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    maasha81 wrote: »
    I do have PCOS and exercise ...mix of strength training and cardio works well for me. A low carb diet is recommended as well and I did it initially but always maintained a cal deficit.

That's great thanks. Have you heard of not eating dairy? Or the keto diet for women with pcos? I was vegan for 5 Years so the dairy thing wouldn't be hard to give up for me lol.
  • ashleyhetzel92
    ashleyhetzel92 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    hey! i am being tested for pcos right now, i also have type 1 diabetes and have celiac disease as well, so trust me i know how hard it is to lose weight with these types of conditions! lol I also gained alot of weight very quickly with them.

I have found that working out and meal planning with my best friend has been a huge help. she makes me go to the gym and we grocery shop together so she holds me accountable for everything i do at the gym and what i eat.

I have found that meal planning is working really well, I meal prep all my meals for the week on fridays so I dont even have to think about while Im at work or making dinner, its already done! :)
  • scarredqueen
    scarredqueen Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and between 2013-2014, I lost 89 pounds. I counted my calories and did a mix of cardio and strength training 3-4 times a week.
    It is possible to lose the weight, you just have to have strong willpower and the motivation to keep at it no matter what. A workout buddy helped me tremendously.
    I'm back after having a baby. I gained 60 pounds of my weight back during pregnancy and am ready to get it back off again!
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    TaraJerard wrote: »
    maasha81 wrote: »

That's great thanks. Have you heard of not eating dairy? Or the keto diet for women with pcos? I was vegan for 5 Years so the dairy thing wouldn't be hard to give up for me lol.

I ate diary and would have been miserable on a keto diet. CICO worked for me ...you just needed to be disciplined and motivated
  • lifeinspace
    lifeinspace Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey! I was just diagnosed with PCOS because of trouble conceiving and my OB recommended that I go on Metformin. It's mainly used for diabetes but will also help women with PCOS regulate their cycles. I'm not sure if the off label use would be recommended for you if you're not actively conceiving but I've been losing weight with it and calorie counting. I restrict at 1500/day not including exercise and for my BMI that's 2lb/week. Definitely try to reduce sugar/carbs and that should help a lot.