I'm starving…...

13»

Replies

• FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Okay, to start with he is NOT a doctor. Go and see an actual medical professional. Not someone quack who has zero actual medical knowledge.
    Second thing to do is ignore everything that he told you, again he isn't an actual medical professional. thirdly, make sure you are still ignoring everything that quack has said and make sure you have been to an actual medical doctor.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    As you get used to eating at a more restricted calorie goal (deficit) your appetite will naturally lower in time, your stomach will shrink (you will begin to feel fuller for longer when you eat) and things will start to get easier as you adjust to the diet and stop craving sugar as much. Saying that, I do fear for the sustainability of a diet that is making you feel "starved". It does not and should not have to be this hard. Good luck.
  • killerqueen21
    killerqueen21 Posts: 157 Member
    It's important to be in a calorie deficit in order to lose weight. In order to not be starving when doing this, you typically have to eat very nutritious dense food. I'm no fan of restricting. That's how people fall off. Try to get as many macronutrients as you can while staying under your calorie deficit. You can still eat things you love, you just can eat as much of them. If you find that you're still hungry, try getting in more physical activity and upping your calories a bit. Good luck
  • jacklfc88
    jacklfc88 Posts: 247 Member
    hi afoolandhercupcake,

sorry to hear you are feeling a bit rubbish about this at the moment!

to be honest, what you are experiencing is to be expected as part of a carb reduction. Eating carbs causes our body to release insulin, turning our body towards burning carbs, lessening the amount of fat and muscle you burn. Carbs are essentially an easy energy go to for our bodies, so when you take them away, you are forcing your body to adapt and to tap into fat stores for energy instead. This feeling tired and hungry is to be expected as part of the process. BUT - it does get easier, trust me!

In the meantime, if you're hungry, fill out your meals with leafy veg and fibre. You should be refeeding once a week on a low carb diet, so double your carb intake on that day. That doesn't mean gorge but it does mean you can significantly increase your carb intake - reduce protein by a third or so on the same day.

this type of diet should not be followed for more than 6-8 weeks though; it can have adverse effects on metabolism and hormones.

hope that helps. feel free to add me if you want :)
  • Thank you all for your input. What is a macronutrient and how can you subtract 1/2 of your carbs based on the fiber you eat? Does anyone know the answers to those questions?
  • jacklfc88
    macronutrients are your carbs, fat and protein.

not sure if i understand the second question but if you're asking how to eat high fibre but low carbs then nuts are great, seeds like flaxseed, non-starchy veg i.e. broccoli.
  • hyperbeth1
    hyperbeth1 Posts: 69 Member
    I don't have much advice to add that the others have not said... however, I notice that you have been focusing on the diet part. There are two components to the life style change: diet and exercise.
    What is your current exercise plan? Walking 30 minutes a day is a great way to get moving, clear your mind, and most of all burn calories!!! Sometimes, I think that we want such a dramatic change that it can become overwhelming. Take small steps in your journey. Start with walking 30 minutes (or if you cannot do 30 minutes, do as long as you can) daily. You can even use one of those fitness trackers like a Fitbit. Mine reminds me when I need to get up and move around. When I even feel like I want a whole bag of Cheetos, I decide to walk for about 15 minutes. Usually I forget that I want to eat it.
    As far as diet, I would just look adding small changes for now. For example, drink more water and eat out less. Plan your meals at the beginning of the week. Meal prepping saves you loads of time because you already know what you are going to eat. I go on Pinterest and other sites and find new ideas. Planning your meals also gives you more control of what is actually in your food. You can make your own fiber bars. It's super easy!
    As these small changes become easier, then you can add a few more changes. I think you tried to do so much so soon. That doesn't work for everyone. I know when I began my journey it was very difficult because I work full time and have 4 children. I incorporated small things and aimed to move as much as I could during the day. You do what works best for you. Good luck!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    @hyperbeth1, if @afoolandhercupcakewillsoonpart is starving and feeling weak, this is no time to be starting an exercise program. I am also nervous about the hinky organic thyroid pills this girl's been sold.

"how do you subtract 1/2 your carbs based on the fiber you eat?" sounds like a funny diet rule. Drop it. Eat up to the limit of carbs you are allowing in your diet, and choose fibrous carbs like vegetables and fruit more often. Fiber usually comes with carbs. Fiber on it's own is not a carb; it's indigestible.
  • jacklfc88
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @hyperbeth1, if @afoolandhercupcakewillsoonpart is starving and feeling weak, this is no time to be starting an exercise program. I am also nervous about the hinky organic thyroid pills this girl's been sold.

"how do you subtract 1/2 your carbs based on the fiber you eat?" sounds like a funny diet rule. Drop it. Eat up to the limit of carbs you are allowing in your diet, and choose fibrous carbs like vegetables and fruit more often. Fiber usually comes with carbs. Fiber on it's own is not a carb; it's indigestible.

Yeah, I mean it's ok to be hungry on carb reduction but not like starving or weak, I agree. OP should increase carb intake slightly, perhaps add 25g-30g or so onto existing diet plan...
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    There are so many concerning things in this thread including some of the advice being shared.

OP no wonder you think you can't afford to see a doctor, the "doctor" you are seeing isn't a doctor and is trying to sell you weight loss products by convincing you that you need to be on a super restrictive diet.

All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. There may be some underlying medical conditions that you have that make restricting carbs beneficial, but neither I nor most of the people commenting here are qualified to comment on this. If you want qualified medical support for this weight loss journey, then you really need to see a registered dietitian.

In the meantime, I'm not sure, based on your comments about how miserable are, that you should continue on the low carb/paleo diet you have been. I would recommend setting a reasonable calorie deficit in MFP and focus on eating nutrient dense food from all basic macro groups (carb, protein, fat) and don't feel you have to completely cut out sugar as you said you have been doing.

If you have not already, read the stickied threads at the top of the Getting Started forum particularly the "So You're New Here" and "A Guide to Get You Started on Your Path to Sexypants". There is so much helpful info in those threads which will help you understand this process better.
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    You do not need the doctor to tell you what to do. Just read (library-internet) and USE your natural intelligence.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    FatMoojor wrote: »
    Okay, to start with he is NOT a doctor. Go and see an actual medical professional. Not someone quack who has zero actual medical knowledge.
    Second thing to do is ignore everything that he told you, again he isn't an actual medical professional. thirdly, make sure you are still ignoring everything that quack has said and make sure you have been to an actual medical doctor.

QFT!
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    He's a naturopathic doctor. In my state, naturopathic doctor's can't write out prescriptions but he apparently can sell me products he believes are beneficial to me. I bought 18 nutrition bars, a bottle of natural thyroid pills and a bottle of organic Vitamin D.

SCREEEEECH!

That's not a doctor. Full stop.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Yeah, I don't want to be flippant about how others choose to diet and experiment with different things. But it is so much easier than all this. Your diet does not need a name (Atkins, Caveman, Paleo etc). Just eat a balanced diet (eg, 40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fats). Eat whole foods that will make you feel fuller for longer (complex Carbs etc) and eat between 250-500 cals (per day) below TDEE (measure your TDEE as accurate as possible). No exercise required until your feeling strong, eat what you want (within reason), just count cals so that you are in a deficit. Your doctor has over complicated things unless there are other medical issues.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited June 2015
    I'm listening to all of your suggestions and appreciate them but some of them won't work for me. I hate yogurt, cottage cheese and drinking milk. The thought really makes me sick. The smell of yogurt makes me gag. I could be experiencing sugar withdrawals. I can't argue with that. I love sugar and I'm not eating any!

The comment about fiber…..I'm worried I'm not eating enough but this is why I'm seeing a doctor but again, maybe I should get a second opinion. I would frequently eat fiber bars because I had a problem with severe constipation in the past but so far, I'm going every day. It's amazing the human body can digest and excrete all of this animal matter and fat!

Again, if I ate the complete suggested diet from Stephcran…I would be over my calories but I so sincerely appreciate the time you took to write and will definitely consider what you wrote. You are a complete stranger to me, owe me nothing and took all that time to write. Thank you. I did notice the calories in ketchup so I also learned my condiment friends are vinegar, mustard and horseradish sauce by Sandwich Pal. He's my pal right now! Lol. I don't know if I can have whey. Maybe I should just have it and do my own diet. I can't afford the doctor anymore. Between buying new clothes to fit my obese frame, going to the doctor and buying all of this meat, I've spent about $1,000 on this hellish lifestyle so I have to lose weight now because I'm not going through this hell again.

What is your veggie consumption like? Non-starchy veg has lots of fibre and low amounts of digestible carbohydrate. If you are allowed beans or berries, they also have fibre, but for some people they have too much carbohydrate for keto. Nuts and avocado also have fibre and are low carb. Chia seeds and flaxseeds might also be a possibility.

I won't comment on your diet choice because that's between you and your doctor, but I will reiterate what the above posters said about "cheating" with carbs. That terrible feeling you have? That's your body transitioning from carbohydratesand fat to and ketone bodies for fuel. It lasts between 36 and 72 hours for most people. If you cheat, your body will go back to regular carbohydrate metabolism and you'll go through this pain all over again to get back into a state of ketosis.

Unlike most diets, there is no wiggle room with keto; you are 100% compliant, or you are not in ketosis.

The good news is if you can get through a few days to a week without cheating, you'll likely feel better. I did it a few times to drop weight quickly for competitions and while my training suffered, day to day activities were not really impaired after the adjustment period.

Edited because while I was typing you posted that your doctor was in fact a naturopath.

Go to an *actual* doctor for a second opinion if you have medical issues, but if you don't, I would recommend trying a more balanced and moderate diet. It sounds like leto isn't well suited to you, and if there is no legit medical reason to do it, you'd be much happier with a balanced approach.
  • I feel like such a f*#!ing fat idiot for trusting this "doctor". I really don't know what to say so thank you for all of your advice. I think I'm going to go to my regular doctor, show him the lab results and take it from there. Thank you again everyone. It's so sad that people you think you can trust are untrustworthy. I feel so stupid for trusting this guy because he is a doctor.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    I feel like such a f*#!ing fat idiot for trusting this "doctor". I really don't know what to say so thank you for all of your advice. I think I'm going to go to my regular doctor, show him the lab results and take it from there. Thank you again everyone. It's so sad that people you think you can trust are untrustworthy. I feel so stupid for trusting this guy because he is a doctor.

There's no reason to feel like an idiot. Lots of people use naturopaths and they can be pretty knowledgable about lifestyle changes and natural remedies. It just seems clear that this guy's advice wasn't practical or appropriate for you, even if his intentions are good.

If he were an MD I would assume there was a valid medical reason for the diet, but I assume he just uses this method for weight loss generally. It does work for some people, but it's not very practical for most of us.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    I feel like such a f*#!ing fat idiot for trusting this "doctor". I really don't know what to say so thank you for all of your advice. I think I'm going to go to my regular doctor, show him the lab results and take it from there. Thank you again everyone. It's so sad that people you think you can trust are untrustworthy. I feel so stupid for trusting this guy because he is a doctor.

There's no reason to feel like an idiot. Lots of people use naturopaths and they can be pretty knowledgable about lifestyle changes and natural remedies. It just seems clear that this guy's advice wasn't practical or appropriate for you, even if his intentions are good.

If he were an MD I would assume there was a valid medical reason for the diet, but I assume he just uses this method for weight loss generally. It does work for some people, but it's not very practical for most of us.

OP, I don't think you should discredit his advice either. Tbh, normal GP's know very little about nutrition and probably won't be of much help.

You don't know how well something could work if you don't give it an opportunity though.
  • This support group of all of you providing advice is probably worth more than what the doctor's are telling me. I'm going to use the guide that MFP has and restrict my calories so I'm in a deficit but I'm eating healthy carbs that will basically include fruits and a protein bar because I can't go to work shaking, feeling sick/nauseous, and tired just so I can lose weight fast and stick to this diet. I don't need to lose the weight fast and I don't think the doctor fully listened to me. Sometimes I think doctors just see insurance cards/dollar signs when a patient comes in the door. I'm sorry but that is how I feel. I think I made a mistake with him but at least he recommended this site. Thank you everyone!