Does this really work?

Bran_mob08
Bran_mob08 Posts: 29 Member
I have been using now for a week. I am exercising 5-6 times a week weight lifting and cardio. Out of curiosity.. I am staying under calorie goal (eating some exercise calories) but I seem to go over fat everyday because it one allows me 27. Regardless of that.. Should you still lose weight if you burn more than you eat? I'm needed to lose 50lbs so I just want to make sure I'm Doing it right!

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    edited June 2015
    Yes ... you should lose weight if you burn more than you eat.

But you've got to be really honest about it.

Weigh and measure all your food. Log everything.

And know that MFP (and most calorie calculators) over-estimate the amount you burn doing exercise.

I've also found it is helpful to set myself at sedentary, and then to add in exercise as I do it, often re-adjusting the calories burned to something a bit lower.

I've dropped a little over 14 kg so far (just over 30 lbs).
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    If you are in a calorie deficit every day, then yes you will lose weight. Make sure you are weighing and logging your food correctly.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    So far, so good. I'm over on fat always. I give myself 100 extra cals on gym days and try not to dip into my exercise calories otherwise unless I'm legitimately starving. If what you're doing is working (it might take some time to see results), you don't need to change anything.

82173306.png
  • runrascal
    runrascal Posts: 53 Member
    I'm often over on sugar - even though the only processed sugar I eat is 3g in my treat oatbiscuits. All the other sugars come from raw fruit and veg. The nutrition calculator is pretty crude so don't worry. If you're losing you're winning :smiley:
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited June 2015
    As long as you are at an accurate consistent deficit then you will lose over time. Dont worry about macros, just be over 18g of fibre and 46g of protein a day.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    I am over on fat and protein most days, other days I am over on sugar. I think I have only been over on calories twice in 6 weeks - that is the measure that counts and it is critical that you do not lie to yourself (and thereby sabotage yourself) by guessing - weigh everything. Food, milk, veggies - a scraping of spread.

Don't be too tough on yourself about composition. You might be a little over on fat, but remember how massively over you would have been before you changed your eating? You have made progress. One thing at a time. Once you get the hang of the calorie restriction you can start playing with macros and micros and see what mix gives you the most energy AND the most happiness.

Sometimes, like two days ago, that means a pizza and nothing else to eat the whole day for me. At other times, it is veggies and yogurt and healthy protein.

I have lost 5kgs (11 pounds) in six weeks. Slow and steady wins the race and all that.
  • mearsy88
    mearsy88 Posts: 87 Member
    YES!!!!! most days Im over on everything! I just cant seem to get it right, and Ive lost 2 stone this year already, and all Ive done is make sure I count my calories everyday :)