Protein max ? whey = hunger`? soy protein bad?

Hey

I increased my protein amount a lot (to 220g (ok?) ) and lowered fat to half (150g), no carbs.. will look how it will turn out.. still hoovering around the same weight..

I noticed that sometimes I get hungry after a pure (without fat) whey shake.. is this normal? or does this hint to a broken metabolism?

Do you guys recommend soy protein (cheap!) even if it has 9g carbs per 100g?
or should I stick to whey isolate/or similiar with 2-3g carbs?

do I need casein? or just stick to whey?

is it ok to substitute meals with shakes even if 3x a day?

did someone try the "new" (cheesecake, salt/caramel, rum/raisin,danish cinamon, etc) flavours at myprotein? or can recommend some? not again chocolate and vanilla :/
which is a multiple/mixed build protein at myprotein and not that expensive?

What else could I change? kcal are lowered already (2200kcal) from 2500kcal before....

Replies

• kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    It doesn't hint a broken metabolism at all, if your swapping meals for shakes it probably signals hunger! Shakes are great but not the most filling thing....

Casein is supposed to be absorbed slower than whey but imo protein is protein. Why are you having so many shakes btw? At 2200 calories surely you can fit more protein from food in?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited May 2015
    You're doing keto?

Check out the keto group

You're hungry cos you are drinking your food ..try eating it instead
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    (If you want my recommendation though I sure as hell wouldn't be doing this ...I'd be counting my calories and eating carbs and not having my macros so out of whack) but if it works for you and you can stick for life
  • JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    edited May 2015
    You don't need whey.
    You don't need casein.
    You don't need 220g of protein a day.
    You don't need to worry about a 'broken metabolism'.
    No it's not ok to substitute meals for shakes, you will be missing a lot of the other essential amino acids, not to mention downing shakes with ridiculous amount of protein won't actually get you your protein requirement. Shakes are fast digesting and studies have shown someone who downs 80g of protein compared to someone who eats 80g of protein does not get the same amount in their system.

Someone who eats 100g of protein will be more anabolic then a lazy shake guzzler who downs 180g. Personally I only have shakes two or three times a week and when I do I have one a day and split that one in half, drinking half and the other half a few hours later.

Also, if your worried about cost, matrix is the best imo, bodybuilding warehouse powder is best tasting and myprotein... well, I like my foam roller from them and their tiramisu powder was pretty nice.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    220 g of protein is a bit crazy. How many shakes would you have to drink?
  • JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    220 g of protein is a bit crazy. How many shakes would you have to drink?

Average 300ml portion is like 40-45g with milk so he'd have to drink like 5 of them. That would be horrendous.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    I noticed that sometimes I get hungry after a pure (without fat) whey shake.. is this normal?

Yes, you need fat. I add coconut oil and an egg to my smoothies. I shoot for my fat to be slightly less than my protein. I'm only going for 79 g of protein a day. How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

I use pea protein which has one ingredient - pea protein concentrate. I add my own flavorings.
  • eraser51
    eraser51 Posts: 63 Member
    I follow the standard advice for BB for example by lyle mcdonald (bodyrecomposition) or bayesianbodybuilding or stuff like that which says 0.8-1.0g / pd LBM or MIN 150g
    so 200g protein should be perfect in my opinion?!

I dont only drink shakes.. right now its 2-3x a day and add egg+steak (vince gironda style) or ham and lean meat
    so easy guys ;)

Does someone know when it will show on scale and/or per body recomposition?
  • eraser51
    push!

added statistics...

anyone got a good personal coach?
    maybe money will help ;)
    no clue anymore... more kcal more weight loss.. then stall.. then back to start... wtf...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ah99qme3f739rcp/MFP Statistics June.xlsm?dl=0

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/de/food/diary/eraser51

http://s270.photobucket.com/user/eraser51/library/

• isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    eraser51 wrote: »
    I follow the standard advice for BB for example by lyle mcdonald (bodyrecomposition) or bayesianbodybuilding or stuff like that which says 0.8-1.0g / pd LBM or MIN 150g

I dont only drink shakes.. right now its 2-3x a day and add egg+steak (vince gironda style) or ham and lean meat
    so easy guys ;)

So you think you've got 200 pounds of LBM? In reality unlikely
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    eraser51 wrote: »

so easy guys ;)

Calculate your protein needs based on Lean Body Mass.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Part of her question I haven't seen answered yet - Is Soy Protein Bad?

I'm not going to be dowing 200 g of protein a day myself, but I've been hearing rumors and see lots of conflicting reports over the health benefits of soy, and the potential risk for women to develop medical problems related to too much soy intake. (Breast cancer is one such problem that gets thrown around in said conflicting reports)

Does anyone have any additional information about this?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    I don't eat soy unless it's labeled organic, because otherwise it's likely GMO. According to the USDA, as of 2014, 94% of soy crops in the US were Herbicide-tolerant/genetically engineered.

biotechcrops.png&width=480

Since I eat very few processed foods, non-organic soy is easy to avoid. (For those of you who say all food is processed to some extent, what I mean imperishable packaged goods as described here: http://michaelpollan.com/articles-archive/you-are-what-you-grow/ )
  • eraser51
    even if not.. protein can only help though

but what to do?
    any coaches? any ideas?
  • eraser51
    push
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Eat real food.