How to deal with weight loss comments?

MeiannaLee
MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everyone!
I was just wondering how you all deal with negative weight loss comments.

Since classes are over for most universities, Ive started meeting up more and more with friends.
And I love and miss them so much, but the first they they do is bombard me with weight loss questions.
Which wouldnt be so bad.....if it didnt follow with,
"But your not gonna lose more weight right? Because youre already so skinny"
"I hope you dont lose anymore weight, you'll be all skin and bones"
"How did you do it so fast? Are you not eating?"
"Why would you want to lose more weight? Your not gonna look good if you do"
"Your too skinny"

And the worst comments come from my mom
"Youve lost all your curves, your anorexic now. Its ugly"

Have you guys ever received these kinds of unwanted comments? If so, how did you all respond? Or how did it make you feel?
Personally, I feel really embarrassed when they say stuff like that. And I usually dont know how to respond.
Also, it really bugs me when people jump to conclusions and say "Did you get gastric surgery?" or "I could never not eat, I love food too much"

thoughts?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Yep. It's life. Screw 'em.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    "This is between myself and my doctor. *kitten* off"
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    I had a TSA agent tell me he didn't want to let me go through security because there was no way the photo could be me, and that I needed to get fat again or get my drivers license redone.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    edited June 2015
    I don't know you so I don't know whether you have gotten to a healthy weight that is optimal for you to look good (given your height, body shape, frame size, etc.) using healthy means OR whether you actually are underweight or below what is going to look good on you or are starving yourself.

So... ask yourself if these people are giving sound feedback about something that you need to address, though handling it in a rude rather than caring way. Maybe check with your doctor or someone who is truly healthy person with wisdom about such things. If you decide they are completely off base, then I would respond to the genuinely concerned comments with facts that they can't refute and the rude ones with some feedback that you don't appreciate their comments.

I've started getting the "Don't lose weight any more, you are skinny!!" comments myself, but I am convinced that it is just the contrast between my old vs new self, plus perhaps a social group for whom obesity is normal and normal is "skinny", that is underlying the comments. I am actually 5 pounds overweight on a BMI chart and my doctor supports the weight goal I have (which is to be at the top of the normal range). I have a few people who keep telling me to stop, which is frustrating considering how hard these last 5 pounds have been. When I explain my goals and that I'm including my doctor's feedback in the goal-setting, some people get it and change to supportive. These are the people who I think are actually trying to be supportive and just don't know how--so they tell me I look great and healthy the way I am and don't need to keep dieting. Others just blow me off, saying the BMI chart is unimportant. I understand the limitations of a BMI chart and am not a slave to it, but at the same time I was morbidly obese for a long time and have wanted to reach a weight that was officially "normal" for most of my adult life!! So I want to finish this goal I set, now that I'm so close.

I've started replying to such people by saying "I've lost 110 pounds over the last couple of years and am only 5 pounds from goal... and you want me to stop?? Do you also show up at mile 26 of marathons and tell the runners that they've had plenty of exercise for today and there is nothing really meaningful about that extra .2 miles so they should just go rest now?" LOL.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member

I've started replying to such people by saying "I've lost 110 pounds over the last couple of years and am only 5 pounds from goal... and you want me to stop?? Do you also show up at mile 26 of marathons and tell the runners that they've had plenty of exercise for today and there is nothing really meaningful about that extra .2 miles so they should just go rest now?" LOL.

That's a great response. :)
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member

Thanks.... And it sincerely is how I feel. I understand that 5 pounds isn't going to make a huge change in my health or appearance, but I feel like I've been running a 2 year marathon and I can finally SEE THE FINISH LINE. These "Oh, you can quit now, that little line down that isn't a big deal" people need to get out of my way!!!!
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member

I love that!
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member

You, I like.

OP, a friend of mine got the same comment about anorexia from his mother, and it couldn't have been less true, lol.

Be polite the first time they say something if you can. After that, it's time to bust out the tough ***** attitude and tell them to mind their own damn business.

~Lyssa
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    I had a TSA agent tell me he didn't want to let me go through security because there was no way the photo could be me, and that I needed to get fat again or get my drivers license redone.

Wtf
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    a social group for whom obesity is normal and normal is "skinny"

Great post, but this bit stood out for me.

"a social group for whom obesity is normal and normal is "skinny""

Insightful comment.

I think when people tell you to stop dieting, they are thinking of themselves, and how hard they imagine it must be.

They don't like thinking about it, or hearing about it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I got those comments regularly. Mostly because when I first started losing weight it came off my face, collarbones and arms. Pretty much the places I didn't need to lose weight from!! I just smiled and promised I wasn't going to lose any more..

I'm 140lbs and 5"8, so pretty far from anorexic. My profile pics are all my before photos. I don't have any current ones. The closest to now is the one where I'm pulling the silly face in the blue striped dress.
  • MeiannaLee
    Orphia wrote: »
    a social group for whom obesity is normal and normal is "skinny"

Great post, but this bit stood out for me.

"a social group for whom obesity is normal and normal is "skinny""

Insightful comment.

I think when people tell you to stop dieting, they are thinking of themselves, and how hard they imagine it must be.

They don't like thinking about it, or hearing about it.

This just clicked.
    These friends that I havent seen in a while. Well we were all the same weight in high school. Meaning we were the chub girl squad. Acually all my friends from high school are overweight because those are the people that i felt most comfortable being around.

I guess i need to make fitness buddies.
  • MeiannaLee
    edited June 2015
    And by the way, I am 5'1 and 115 pounds.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    I've had a couple people pull the "you don't need to lose any more" :poop: on me.
    Not sure if they were serious or just trying to be what they think is nice, but I smiled and politely told
    them that I'm still above a healthy weight based on BMI and yes, I plan to get there.

As for the other idiotic questions you listed, my answers would range from
    "No, I didn't have surgery, I did this naturally, the hard way, with my own willpower, eating less & moving more"
    and
    "I'm not starving myself, and I eat whatever I want, only in reasonable portions"
    to
    "thank you for your concern; my doctor is on board with my weight loss plan"
    and
    "I cannot believe you just said that! How rude!"
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    So far, this time, the main comments have been, "You look so much like your dad." But the last time I lost weight, I think some people held their tongues when they should have spoken. I got down to 190 and I didn't look healthy at all. The only person who ever said anything was my dad, and that wasn't until I had regained some of the weight. "You were looking a little under weight there for a while." I don't know that I would've listened to their concerns, but at that time, I couldn't see how underweight I was.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    It's just that some people struggle to get used to you looking different, especially if you've been overweight your whole life.
    My husband nagged me for months to stop losing weight, but now he can't even remember what I looked like before, -other than the occasional boob comment- :rage: Because he's gotten used to how I look now.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    From what I've read on these forums, it's a fairly common experience for people to get these types of comments before they actually enter the "normal" weight range. I think it's because they are comparing you to the way you used to be, and you probably do look quite thin.

Also, our culture's expectations of what "normal" weight really is and what it looks like is probably a bit skewed.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    shell1005 wrote: »
    If that many people are saying something to me...I do have to wonder if my perception of myself might be warped and if I might be getting to thin. (especially if these are people who I care about and who I know care about me).

However if I know that I am working towards a healthy goal and weight, I generally let it roll right off my shoulders. I also know it can be hard for people to adjust to seeing you look different, especially if they haven't seen you in a while.

Beautifully put
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    MeiannaLee wrote: »
    And by the way, I am 5'1 and 115 pounds.

Definitely not anorexic!!!