How to deal with weight loss comments?

2»

Replies

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    MKEgal wrote: »
    I've had a couple people pull the "you don't need to lose any more" :poop: on me.
    Not sure if they were serious or just trying to be what they think is nice, but I smiled and politely told
    them that I'm still above a healthy weight based on BMI and yes, I plan to get there.

As for the other idiotic questions you listed, my answers would range from
    "No, I didn't have surgery, I did this naturally, the hard way, with my own willpower, eating less & moving more"
    and
    "I'm not starving myself, and I eat whatever I want, only in reasonable portions"
    to
    "thank you for your concern; my doctor is on board with my weight loss plan"
    and
    "I cannot believe you just said that! How rude!"

Adding: "Just curious, but why would you say that?" with a bright smile and long stare.
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    I got those comments regularly. Mostly because when I first started losing weight it came off my face, collarbones and arms. Pretty much the places I didn't need to lose weight from!! I just smiled and promised I wasn't going to lose any more..

I'm 140lbs and 5"8, so pretty far from anorexic. My profile pics are all my before photos. I don't have any current ones. The closest to now is the one where I'm pulling the silly face in the blue striped dress.

This cheered me up. I'm going through the same stage as your first paragraph losing weight where I don't really want to (collar bones, and arms) the bits that have the wobbles are all hidden under my jeans. I'm glad it evened out for you, gives me hope!

My mum's started getting worried and making the comments. Im pretty happy with my weight and do not like comments either.

I just say "I weight more than I look" or "well I'm healthier than most people" or if i know the person well "I'm at the slightly higher end of healthy bmi atm. I don't have an eating disorder I'm just kind of small for my weight." All true, if your healthy just ignore comments alot of it is comparison to your previous self.

(Never try to cheerfully explain your only losing because your planning to do a 6month bulk after so they shouldn't be worried, you'll chub up again soon... that led to some pretty funny assumptions in my family that I had finally lost my marbles)

• ncgirl67
    ncgirl67 Posts: 1 Member
    I am new to posting and I found it interesting as to why do most people even care what others say? I have struggled my whole life with carrying weight very well, which enabled others to not see my weight for what it was... heavy. Five years ago I met, my now husband and he weighed 75+lbs more than now. But while we were getting to know each other, there was a time we didn't see each other for a long time, maybe about 5-6 months and then we saw each other. He was 20lbs lighter than he is now; due to a thyroid issue. I wasn't sure I was still attracted to him. Well my thyroid is opposite lol; he can't keep weight and I couldn't lost it :) We got married a little over a year ago a few months after my surgery. My husband loved my big girl body and since I chose the surgery option for preventative hereditary weight issues; he is now the one having to adjust. So we both miss the old "us's'"....we had to learn to love each other differently. So what people think doesn't bother me, I think I'm awesome at my current weight of 165.5. My goal is 150 for my 5'4" self; I was 251 lbs and on my way to BP issues and congestive heart failure later on if I didn't get a handle on it. Surgery is a great tool at a large cost; malnutrition and heart problems can occur down the line 7-9 years. I need to keep up my vitamin supplements and my follow-up doctor visits. So far I think saturated fats are the biggest enemy with the necessary protein intake, but I'm managing as best I can and my husband is my best helper♡
    Screw what everyone else thinks!
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Someone on MFP posted in a thread awhile back and it was a topic similar to this. I loved her reply which was something like: You can never be too rich or too thin - which one are YOU working on? Could have used that on some former co-workers and it would have been perfect! (George Costanza syndrome! lol)
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Someone on MFP posted in a thread awhile back and it was a topic similar to this. I loved her reply which was something like: You can never be too rich or too thin - which one are YOU working on? Could have used that on some former co-workers and it would have been perfect! (George Costanza syndrome! lol)

You can never be too thin? Can't say I agree there.

Yeah, me either...but I still loved the quote! It made me laugh.