5'9 goal weight?

I'm getting closer to my goal weight and the number seems high compared to others. What's your goal weight if you're around 5'9ish?

Replies

• Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Hi! I'm 5'8 and my goal was 125 but at 130 I think I'm ready to quit losing. I feel fine right here.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    150ish
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    i'm 5'8 ~ I will be happy with the 160's right now!! Almost there, as of this morning I was 175 :blush: ~ seriously I am aiming for 150ish and will re-evaluate at that point :)
  • RaeB1013
    RaeB1013 Posts: 265 Member
    Mine is 195. I'm a little over 5'9" but also am just built pretty big. I'm very heavy now and don't look nearly as big as what the scale shows. So for right now it's set at 195 but we'll see what happens as I get closer.
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    I'm just a bit over 5'8" and I aim for the 140s probably no much lower than 145. I was down to just under 140 at one point and I was too skinny. I'm at about 151 right now doing a push to lose for a summer vacay. So almost there!
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    It depends so much on muscle mass. When I am doing a lot of strength training, I look great at 150-155. I haven't been able to exercise much over the last year due to illness, and now 150 is quite doughy on me. I'm shooting for 135 until I can get back into the gym, then I'd like to try for 145-150. I'm 5'9.

I have an MFP friend who is 5'8" and 165 and looks amazing. Another woman at my gym is 5'8" and 120 and also looks fantastic. They are both very strong and active, and appear to be quite healthy.

• dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    anyone feel free to add me!! always like to see tall girls with similiar goals :)
  • Mary407
    Mary407 Posts: 635 Member
    I'm 5'9" and felt great at 160 about 10 years ago (I was pretty active and muscular). But after two kids, I am wondering if 160 will look/feel the same. That's my goal weight now, but I may need to revise. I'm 180 in my profile pic.
  • adnaram
    adnaram Posts: 44 Member
    It depends so much on muscle mass. When I am doing a lot of strength training, I look great at 150-155. I haven't been able to exercise much over the last year due to illness, and now 150 is quite doughy on me. I'm shooting for 135 until I can get back into the gym, then I'd like to try for 145-150. I'm 5'9.

I have an MFP friend who is 5'8" and 165 and looks amazing. Another woman at my gym is 5'8" and 120 and also looks fantastic. They are both very strong and active, and appear to be quite healthy.

SO TRUE! I see pictures of myself in my early 20's where I'm not all that thin (probably 160/165), but look scrawny and unhealthy. I'm shooting for 175, but I know that I'll be a leaner and healthier 175 than I was when I was young.

• pineapple_peach10
    pineapple_peach10 Posts: 239 Member
    I'm 5'10 and my original goal was 160. Once I got there I changed it to 150. I'm at 155 now so almost there!
  • donut0420
    donut0420 Posts: 44 Member
    I'm 5'9" and my goal is around 145-150lbs. A trainer told me 68kg should be my goal weight. But I'm hovering around 168 - 170lbs right now, and I feel a lot better about how I look overall. I'd like to lose my squishier parts, but I no longer feel like a blob. I have a pretty big frame too, so it's all relative. Feel free to add me!
  • breakyoface
    breakyoface Posts: 160 Member
    I'm 5'8 and my goal was 170, then 150 and now I'm at 135-140 maintaining.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    I'm 5'9" and my goal weight is 145-150... we'll see how I feel at 150.
  • ilovesweeties
    ilovesweeties Posts: 84 Member
    Hi, 5'9", aimed for 161 (2 lbs to go!). Happy with dress size and how I look in clothes right now. I also thought I looked great at 190 though and so did a lot of my friends!

To set my goal originally, I calculated the upper limit of my healthy BMI and subtracted 7 lbs so that I didn't leap back into being overweight after a few slices of pizza at the weekend. Arbitrary, but I knew I needed to lose weight and that seemed as good a goal weight as any. I hadn't paid attention to my weight in the past, so I had no idea at what previous weight I had felt most attractive and healthy.

My heart says I ultimately want to get under 160, but I just started increasing my calories towards maintenance which I am really enjoying. I am also running more now and started strength training, so I am too hungry to keep going with a bigger deficit! Lastly, everyone I know is freaking out about how thin I am (at BMI 24, which is something I won't get started on here), so I think I might maintain this weight for a while and see where strength training takes me, before I think about whether I want to lose anymore.

It's really interesting to me how people set their goals- I would have had no idea how much to lose or when to stop if I hadn't hooked it around BMI.
  • BozGirl
    BozGirl Posts: 333 Member
    5'9" here. My goal weight was 155 (reached in Jan. 2014), but I've been hanging out at 140-145 for the last couple months, and I like the way my body looks in the low 140s.
  • I'm 5'10, and have lost 25lbs so far. My goal weight is between 135-140. It's in the healthy weight range for height, and I would only do healthy things to get there, but I do worry people will be concerned if I lose 70lbs (even over the course of a year). Friends are already starting to tell me I look great and should just stop (180lbs). I take it as a compliment, but it does bother me that I can't really tell anyone that I want to lose 45 more pounds because I know they'd be worried. (I do think it is sort of funny because the friends that say this are thin.) Had anyone else experienced this with their goal weight?
  • breakyoface
    breakyoface Posts: 160 Member
    ^I get told that a lot. I think it's either because they aren't used to be being thin so it's just weird for them, or out of jealousy.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    I'm 5'8" and happy at 145.
  • vypressme
    vypressme Posts: 228 Member
    I'm 5'10" and my realistic goal weight used to be 165 lbs, but in dreamland I wanted to be at my highschool weight of 138.

The only problem was that my real highschool weight was 152, I just remembered it wrongly because I FELT skinny.

I finally got down to 140, stopped there when my friends and relatives were getting a little concerned. Now I'm at a cool 154 and my jeans from highschool are too big around the waist. Reason? Body comp...it's not just the weight that matters.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    vypressme wrote: »
    I'm 5'10" and my realistic goal weight used to be 165 lbs, but in dreamland I wanted to be at my highschool weight of 138.

The only problem was that my real highschool weight was 152, I just remembered it wrongly because I FELT skinny.

I finally got down to 140, stopped there when my friends and relatives were getting a little concerned. Now I'm at a cool 154 and my jeans from highschool are too big around the waist. Reason? Body comp...it's not just the weight that matters.

I hear ya re: high school weight! I think I bottomed out at 110 pounds at age 16 (5'8). Good lord. :D