Loving my slow cooker, any good recipes ?

amathist
amathist Posts: 24 Member
Well, hello there.
Looking for a community of slow cooking goddesses to share their low calorie, or high protine meals that fit in with the weight loss stage.I use mine for everything and anything. Normally have 2 going at once. However in saying that I am just starting back on my weight loss journey (with my hubby and and my kids, haha they can suck it up, I'm not cooking wonderfull meals for them that I can't have )
My slow cooker is my salvation, turn it on befor work and come home to something wonderfull. Please share share share, always on the look out for more inspired recipes :)
Tonight's dinner slow cooked curry chicken and veg.s4tln1bgsro8.jpg

Replies

• shivasgirl
    shivasgirl Posts: 23 Member
    I use mine to cook beans, you dont have to soak then at all. I like to do a pot of chick peas, then add them to salads, make hummus, falafel, all kinds of stuff. Black or into beans make amazing soups and refries, and you control what goes into them. Butter beans with a spoonful of Liquid Smoke taste just like the ones my daddy used to make with a ham hock in them, but with none of the fat... I also like to cook, then freeze beans in quart bags, so I have them at the ready when I need them.
  • amathist
    Never thought of using my slow cooker for beans, that's a great tip thanks.
    I do however pre make / freeze meals a week ahead so I can just pop them In the s/c of a morning :) easy peasy
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    I've been trying recipes in Slow Cooker Revolution by America's Test Kitchen. Most have been pretty darn good. Some I've modified for more veg or more beans.

For instance, this one
    http://www.whatmegansmaking.com/2013/10/slow-cooker-tex-mex-chicken-stew.html

The second time I made it, I used 4 cups of an onion/bell pepper/celery/parsley mix instead of 2 cups onions, and 3 cans of beans instead of 2. It came out to about 18 cups; 1 cup, according to the calculator here, is 280 cals.

(I did not, as the blogger did, serve with cheese and chips. :) )
  • amathist
    Oooooooh cheese, don't say cheese... I think the word just added a kg to my *kitten*
    That sounds so yummy btw
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    I should note that a lot of the slow cooker revolution recipes do require browning things or microwaving veg. I haven't tried any of those needing browning. The waving I'll do.
  • cheeeesecake82
    cheeeesecake82 Posts: 6 Member
    I have chilli sitting in my slow cooker at the moment. Been craving this for about 2 weeks!

500g lean beef mince (can also use turkey)
    100g roughly chopped red onions
    2 crushed garlic cloves
    100g chopped red peppers
    1 tin (400g) chopped tomatoes
    1 tin (400g) drained kidney beans
    2 tbsp tomato puree
    1 tsp chilli powder
    1 tsp paprika
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp dried marjoram
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 tsp coconut oil

Melt coconut oil in a pan and sautee the onions, garlic and red peppers then add to your slow cooker. In the same pan, quickly brown the mince then add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, chilli, paprika, cumin, marjoram and cinnamon. Stir through then add to the beef in the slow cooker. Add the kidney beans, give everything a stir then cook on high for approx 8 hour. Mine was on medium for 15 hours.

YUM!
  • tycoon460
    tycoon460 Posts: 28 Member
    edited June 2015
    Baby back ribs.
    Cut the rack to 2-3 ribs each for portions.
    Liquid smoke marinate overnight in fridge. (usually 1 part liquid smoke to 8 parts water)
    Set slow cooker to low.
    Put ribs in so the are standing on end (long ways pointed up).
    Pour in your marinade.
    Cut up medium onion add to slow cooker.
    Add spoon of garlic cloves.
    Cook for 5 hours. Remove excess marinade and fat juices. Cook for another 5 hours. (OR you could use far less marinade probably 1/2 cup or so and cook for 8-10 hours and not worry about removing any.)
    Remove ribs put on cookie sheet and brush bbq sauce.
    Broil in oven for 10-15 minutes or until bbq starts to bubble.
    Remove let cool slightly and serve.

When I did these the first time my family thought they were the best ribs they ever had. They swore I must have smoked them for hours. The ribs turned out so tender meat almost fell off the bones. Even my 3 year old ate one and threw the bone on the floor demanding more.
  • amathist
    That sounds yummy!!!
    Might have to put that one on this weeks dinner list!!
  • hcglindsey
    hcglindsey Posts: 37 Member
    I make those ribs and they are delish !

Frozen chicken breasts with a jar of herdez verde salsa. Cook on low 6-8 hours. Serve in tostadas, taco shells or tortillas or make into enchiladas. Also yummy with regular salsa if you don't like green. I have made a large pot before and meal prepped with brown rice and a dab of light sour cream for lunches ❤️

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    hcglindsey wrote: »
    I make those ribs and they are delish !

Frozen chicken breasts with a jar of herdez verde salsa. Cook on low 6-8 hours. Serve in tostadas, taco shells or tortillas or make into enchiladas. Also yummy with regular salsa if you don't like green. I have made a large pot before and meal prepped with brown rice and a dab of light sour cream for lunches ❤️

Sounds wonderful... how many breasts do you typical toss in when you do it? Just whatever amount you want for leftovers? Have you tried freezing it? Curious if that'll be OK TIA
  • Ozzzzzzzzzz
    Ozzzzzzzzzz Posts: 84 Member
    I love using a slow cooker, My favorite is White bean chili.
    foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/white-bean-chili-recipe2.html

Another is Add a few chicken breasts,2 cups of salsa and a rinsed can of black beans.
    Cook about 6hrs on low or until the chicken is easily shredded. When done shredded all the chicken with a fork.
  • hcglindsey
    hcglindsey Posts: 37 Member
    I normally cook a whole bag of frozen individual breasts to one whole jar of salsa. Haven't tried freezing but I think it would be fine.
  • Hearts_2015
    edited June 2015
    hcglindsey wrote: »
    I normally cook a whole bag of frozen individual breasts to one whole jar of salsa. Haven't tried freezing but I think it would be fine.

@hcglindsey Perfect, that's about what I have. :) Thanks so much for getting back to me!
    tycoon460 wrote: »
    Baby back ribs.
    Cut the rack to 2-3 ribs each for portions.
    Liquid smoke marinate overnight in fridge. (usually 1 part liquid smoke to 8 parts water)
    Set slow cooker to low.
    Put ribs in so the are standing on end (long ways pointed up).
    Pour in your marinade.
    Cut up medium onion add to slow cooker.
    Add spoon of garlic cloves.
    Cook for 5 hours. Remove excess marinade and fat juices. Cook for another 5 hours. (OR you could use far less marinade probably 1/2 cup or so and cook for 8-10 hours and not worry about removing any.)
    Remove ribs put on cookie sheet and brush bbq sauce.
    Broil in oven for 10-15 minutes or until bbq starts to bubble.
    Remove let cool slightly and serve.

When I did these the first time my family thought they were the best ribs they ever had. They swore I must have smoked them for hours. The ribs turned out so tender meat almost fell off the bones. Even my 3 year old ate one and threw the bone on the floor demanding more.
    @tycoon460 These sound fab! Gonna have to give a try :)
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Recipes.co and allrecipes.com
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Salsa chicken is one of our favorites as well. After it's done cooking I mix some cornstarch with a little water and put it in after I shred the chicken and turn it to high for a few minutes and it makes a thicker sauce.

I made split pea soup yesterday. 1# split peas, 9-10 cups water, as many diced carrots, onions, and celery as you want, salt, and pepper. Cook low for 10-12 hours or high for 6-8.

One trick for me is that I keep the slow cooker in the basement to cook and not in the kitchen. If I am home and smell the food cooking all day I'm sick of smelling it after 10 hours!

• MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    edited June 2015
    I like slow cooking some chicken leg quarters that have been rubbed with a bit of sazon, sofrito, recaito, minced garlic in olive oil,garlic powder, sea salt, and a little bit of barbecue sauce. Goes great with Spanish BROWN rice!
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    Whole chickens are my slow cooking go-to, simply because they last me a few days. I do a little prep work just for some extra flavor, but it's really not necessary and you can easily do it just before you put it in. I like to coat the bird with a mix of spices of choice(anything from a curry mix, to Old Bay, or a blend of paprika/garlic powder/onion powder/salt/pepper. Sometimes I'll add lots of cumin to that blend, usually stick a bay leaf and a lemon half inside the bird), if I want it to really marinade, I'll do this the night before and let the chicken sit in the fridge overnight, then stick it in the cooker during the day and cook it on high for 4 hours. A good-sized chicken will easily give me enough meat for a few days that way. It does take some work to disassemble after, but once everything is tucked away it makes everything SO much easier.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    meat with dry rub. seriously, I get a bunch of what is on sale and then put in the cooker with just the dry rub on top. no real recipe. I usually google how long to cook it.
    veggies on the side.

very easy to cook, easy to pack away, and easy to reheat
  • Hearts_2015
    Whole chickens are my slow cooking go-to, simply because they last me a few days. I do a little prep work just for some extra flavor, but it's really not necessary and you can easily do it just before you put it in. I like to coat the bird with a mix of spices of choice(anything from a curry mix, to Old Bay, or a blend of paprika/garlic powder/onion powder/salt/pepper. Sometimes I'll add lots of cumin to that blend, usually stick a bay leaf and a lemon half inside the bird), if I want it to really marinade, I'll do this the night before and let the chicken sit in the fridge overnight, then stick it in the cooker during the day and cook it on high for 4 hours. A good-sized chicken will easily give me enough meat for a few days that way. It does take some work to disassemble after, but once everything is tucked away it makes everything SO much easier.

Whole chickens are awesome to cook up, I agree :) You can also toss in cut up veggies under the chicken and it's a full meal. HA HA OK, well not the whole chicken in one meal, but I think you all know what I meant :p;)

Other times I've tossed in some potatoes and then put a chicken or roast on top and that way you have baked potatoes (only they taste far better) for the meal as well. You can also just bake potatoes in it.. just fill up the bottom with them and cook accordingly (check the web I don't recall the time at the moment) I don't wrap mine in foil as it's not necessary but some do.