Am I becoming an over weight anorexic?

2»

Replies

• wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Sorry - I just clicked over and read your profile. You report that you did have bulimia when you were in your 20's. You may have more significant food issues and likely should see a therapist while starting this journey. This is not the type of thing that a general practice doctor is equipped to handle well
  • I was actually seeing a naturopathic doctor. He gave me a diet that would put me into ketosis. When I told him the diet was too harsh, he said eat more fats. He sold me some nutrition bars because I guess in the state of Connecticut, it is perfectly legal to do this with your patients but now I wonder if he is just an a@@hole that was taking advantage of someone that had medical issues along with weight issues. He told me I have a slight thyroid problem and sold me organic thyroid pills. He also said my Vitamin D was way off and he sold me a bottle of that. He showed me the lab results. What disturbed me about this whole blood work up was I had other flags he didn't seem interested in. I'm going to see my regular doctor when I am able. Bottom line, it is hard to trust doctors or therapists. I sincerely don't think they care. I was bulimic in my 20's. I abused laxatives when I binged and I walked/exercised excessively. My lowest weight was 97 pounds. I was 5' 3" back then but I shrunk a little and am now 5'2 1/2. I stopped the bulimic lifestyle when I took 2 or 3 laxatives and a water pill after I ate a can of olives. I sincerely thought I was going to die I felt so sick. The diet the doctor put me on made me feel nervous to some extent like I did in my 20s so I'm here. I would sincerely appreciate anyone's input. I know I need help I just don't know what the hell to do. Thank you.
  • I currently weigh 162.8 without clothes. The highest normal for a person my height should be 139. I joined the obese club when I het 170 this winter but now I am technically overweight.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    This used to be a sticky on MFP. They unstickied it in what I consider to be one of the biggest mistakes the MFP powers that be have made.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

I'm sorry that you are going through all of this. There are much easier (and healthier) ways to lose weight. If you read some of the links in the above thread, you will get a good basic knowledge of what you need to do to get started losing weight in a healthy and sustainable way.
  • How do you know who to trust? I know that sounds dumb but I sincerely don't know. I think the last doctor I saw was a fraud and that kind of kills your self esteem on this journey. How would you screen for a good doctor. The dumbf*&k doctor I was seeing knew my leptin was low (it is a hormone that regulates your hunger) but he didn't seem to give a s*&t that I told him I felt like I was starving. He said eat more fats and proteins. When I did that, I either went over on my calories or carbs. Today, I'm over on my fats. I sincerely don't know what to do. I think I can get more help from people on this site because we are all motivated to get/stay healthy and aren't getting paid to do so. Do you hear where I'm coming from?
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,030 Member
    [quote="afoolandhercupcakewillsoonpart;32802689"]I've never talked to a therapist about my weight issues. I personally don't think they give a s*&t! My doctor didn't seem to care that I complained to him that I felt like I was starving with the diet he gave me. He just wanted me to continue seeing him so he can get paid for the office visit. I was truly hungry with that diet and now I feel lost but I did seem to lose 4 pounds in the past 2 weeks. I hope it lasts.[/quote]
    Bottom line, it is hard to trust doctors or therapists. I sincerely don't think they care.

Mine do :)

You seem to have distrust in professionals.. If you go into your appt. thinking they don't care, and they only want your money. What on earth would be the point of going back to your Doc then?

If you can't trust and openly discuss issues with a Professional...not much progress could be made.

Have you checked out other professionals or only 3? Perhaps the 3 you saw were not a good fit? When I'm depressed I have a hard time trusting ppl or seeing things clearly, I typically view life a more negatively.

You seem a bit negative (as in down), don't know if it's depression, your personality, or concern over your eating issues.

I hope you find a doc soon that you feel cares, one you can trust isn't after all your money and that is a good fit. Congrats on the weight loss!! :)
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    I I burned off 1937 at the gym.

No.

You didn't.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    You've had some very helpful replies here, to which I can't add.

But I do the opposite to you OP. I pre-log my days first thing in the morning, which 9 times out of 10 puts my calories in the Red. Then I exercise until my my calories get up to at least 200 in the green.

Listen to your gut, if you feel what your doing is detrimental to you physically and mentally, then don't ignore it. Reach out until you get the help you need xx
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    I agree - a real MD and one who is not advertising about bhcg diets, cryo fat loss or selling supplements - or for that matter books or TV shows( Dr. OZ)
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    The treadmill calculated the calories for me so is it safe to trust the treadmills?

Sometimes. For me the treadmill is very close to my HR monitor. Usually only 20 to 50 calories 0ff.
    To some people it's not even remotely close.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    If you had bulimia in the past, would leave determining all that to a professional.

I can tell you that my only food issues relate to being crap at planning, and I overcompensate if I don't eat enough or have bad macros.

If you're at a -2lbs/week goal, maybe reduce it to 1 lb/week or even 0.5? And try different things with macro balance. Fiber helps, too.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    If it is not safe to trust the treadmill, how can you calculate how many calories you burn?

While there is much debate about the MFP calorie burn estimates for many activities, walking (along with jogging and running) is one exercise that the algorithms usually get right. I don't use MFP estimates for most activities, but I do for walking.

• coraborealis80
    coraborealis80 Posts: 53 Member
    I was actually seeing a naturopathic doctor. He gave me a diet that would put me into ketosis. When I told him the diet was too harsh, he said eat more fats. He sold me some nutrition bars because I guess in the state of Connecticut, it is perfectly legal to do this with your patients but now I wonder if he is just an a@@hole that was taking advantage of someone that had medical issues along with weight issues. He told me I have a slight thyroid problem and sold me organic thyroid pills. He also said my Vitamin D was way off and he sold me a bottle of that. He showed me the lab results. What disturbed me about this whole blood work up was I had other flags he didn't seem interested in. I'm going to see my regular doctor when I am able. Bottom line, it is hard to trust doctors or therapists. I sincerely don't think they care. I was bulimic in my 20's. I abused laxatives when I binged and I walked/exercised excessively. My lowest weight was 97 pounds. I was 5' 3" back then but I shrunk a little and am now 5'2 1/2. I stopped the bulimic lifestyle when I took 2 or 3 laxatives and a water pill after I ate a can of olives. I sincerely thought I was going to die I felt so sick. The diet the doctor put me on made me feel nervous to some extent like I did in my 20s so I'm here. I would sincerely appreciate anyone's input. I know I need help I just don't know what the hell to do. Thank you.

Any "doctor" that sells you something like a cereal bar is a certified Dr. Oz-type quack. Someone with an eating disorder is never "cured," and no good doctor would be making these suggestions to a recovering bulimic. Just like an alcoholic, eating disorders are a life-long struggle. You should NOT be dieting without guidance from a nutritionist/dietitian, physician, and counselor/psychologist/psychiatrist. The thinking they don't care is part of the psychological issues related to eating disorders. Stop dieting until you meet with your doctor.
  • catita1025
    catita1025 Posts: 46 Member
    Lots of thoughts but I'll try to be brief...please see a medical doctor. If you're able to speak to a nutritionist please do so. Folks have mentioned here that you should tale a look at your relationship with food - yes! I read your profile. Sure, society wants to dictate measures of success, heath and beauty. Still, the bottom line is that each of us needs to be responsible for our own health. It's up to each of us to become educated in areas where we have concerns. Gaining trust, in medical/health professionals, and also in yourself is a journey. We all have ups and downs. The challenge is to keep going in a safe and healthy manner. I hope you do this for yourself. Best wishes.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    How do you know who to trust? I know that sounds dumb but I sincerely don't know. I think the last doctor I saw was a fraud and that kind of kills your self esteem on this journey. How would you screen for a good doctor. The dumbf*&k doctor I was seeing knew my leptin was low (it is a hormone that regulates your hunger) but he didn't seem to give a s*&t that I told him I felt like I was starving. He said eat more fats and proteins. When I did that, I either went over on my calories or carbs. Today, I'm over on my fats. I sincerely don't know what to do. I think I can get more help from people on this site because we are all motivated to get/stay healthy and aren't getting paid to do so. Do you hear where I'm coming from?

Yes. What you may have to do is check with your insurance provider (if you have one), and shop around for a new doctor within network. Drop the naturopathic doctor; it sounds like he is trying to sell you an excessive amount of product and ignoring concerns that you have.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    When are we finally gonna pass some meaningful laws to stop naturopathic quacks like that from preying on people with eating disorders like this? It's disgusting, and really should be criminal.