What to eat before working out?

I need some ideas besides bananas and yogurt!

Replies

• Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Complex carbs such as brown rice, whole grain bread, oats, sweet potatoes, potatoes, etc. Very little fat as it takes the longest to digest and is not fuel that is quickly available for your body to use. Check out this list for more:

http://bodyforlife.com/library/food-list
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    The only time I would eat something prior to working out, was when I was going to run for longer than an hour.

I mean, if you're starving by the time you get a chance to work out, knock yourself out, but I don't think it's necessary unless you're doing something very intense.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    The only time I would eat something prior to working out, was when I was going to run for longer than an hour.

I mean, if you're starving by the time you get a chance to work out, knock yourself out, but I don't think it's necessary unless you're doing something very intense.

Agree with this. There's really no need to "fuel" your workout unless it's going to be longer than 90 minutes. Your body has enough glycogen stored to get you through that long. I run a couple of mornings each week for 3-4 miles and don't eat beforehand. It doesn't feel any different than the days I happened to have eaten before.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    I drink a cup of coffee before lifting in the morning. If I'm really hungry, I'll eat a banana - but that's extraordinarily rare.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    SueInAz wrote: »

Agree with this. There's really no need to "fuel" your workout unless it's going to be longer than 90 minutes. Your body has enough glycogen stored to get you through that long. I run a couple of mornings each week for 3-4 miles and don't eat beforehand. It doesn't feel any different than the days I happened to have eaten before.

I 3rd this! I work out at 7am 4 days a week for usually no longer than 60 to 90 minutes. Even on leg days I don't feel the need for anything beforehand, in fact feel a little nauseated if I do. There is some pretty sound research that demonstrates increased protein and glucose reuptake post workout for as long as 60 minutes. So as long as I eat quality food after I'm usually fine. Plus I'm likely staving by then.
  • BradW99
    BradW99 Posts: 103 Member
    Plus you wouldn't want complex carbs...those won't digest fast enough for the exercise. You'd just get booted and probably wouldn't feel too good. You'd want simple carbs to get fast energy and get glycogen into your blood stream quickly if anything.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Just for a hoot, though, I'll throw out a personal preference. There've been days where I was STARVING prior to a workout. I find myself grabbing something like a luna bar and eating half of it to keep myself going. I just personally would rather save those calories and eat after a workout.
  • vypressme
    vypressme Posts: 228 Member
    Well, if you want to get in depth about it, depends on what type of workout we are talking about. It also depends on what you eat the rest of the day. It depends on how long before the workout you have thast meal, how long does it take to digest the certain food.

Me? I just make sure I get most of my daily carbs before the workout, not necessarily "right before".
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Id say only unless it was longer than an hour and then listen to your body. You wnat sufficient fuel available at the right time so complex carbs are fine as long as youve given it time to workthrough in contrast with a banana which takes about 30-40 mins. If I do run out of fuel then I know it, but i will always have extra with me including a banana or some sort of simple carb to give me a boost. I find i need more energy for cardio as opposed to lifting for obvious reasons.

Theres plenty of artcicles for ideas on what you can eat pre workout if thats your choice.

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/healthy-eating/nutrition/best-workout-foods/
    http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/meal-ideas/best-pre-and-post-workout-snacks-every-workout

• rarimmel
    rarimmel Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you everyone! I'm the type that feels nauseated if I don't eat a little something beforehand. I work out quite vigorously though ;)
  • 32sami
    32sami Posts: 380 Member
    I like smoothies made with pb, almond milk, and bananas
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    32sami wrote: »
    I like smoothies made with pb, almond milk, and bananas

Yummy!!