Having problems breathing?

2»

Replies

• BuccaneersFan
    BuccaneersFan Posts: 36 Member
    ^ Complete overreaction. Just wondering, aggelikik are you in the medical profession?

I don't know how being concerned with eating junk food and being concerned with being underweight is an eating disorder. If you are indeed having breathing problems you should go to the doctor and get checked out to be safe. As far as your diet, you've gotten ZERO help from your doctor up to this point, so why continue to rely on her.

I think you've gotten great advice here. If you want to gain weight in a healthy way the majority of your caloric intake needs to be from healthy foods. Also, I would suggest starting to do some weight lifting so as you gain weight you'll gain some muscle and not all fat. YOU WILL NOT GET bulky by lifting weights, which is a common misconception among women. Make sure you get enough protein as well, around .80g of protein per pound of lean body mass would be sufficient, but more is fine as well. Find out what your body fat % is and then use that to figure out how many pounds of your weight is not fat.
  • adobrev
    adobrev Posts: 108 Member
    ^ Complete overreaction. Just wondering, aggelikik are you in the medical profession?

I don't know how being concerned with eating junk food and being concerned with being underweight is an eating disorder. If you are indeed having breathing problems you should go to the doctor and get checked out to be safe. As far as your diet, you've gotten ZERO help from your doctor up to this point, so why continue to rely on her.

I think you've gotten great advice here. If you want to gain weight in a healthy way the majority of your caloric intake needs to be from healthy foods. Also, I would suggest starting to do some weight lifting so as you gain weight you'll gain some muscle and not all fat. YOU WILL NOT GET bulky by lifting weights, which is a common misconception among women. Make sure you get enough protein as well, around .80g of protein per pound of lean body mass would be sufficient, but more is fine as well. Find out what your body fat % is and then use that to figure out how many pounds of your weight is not fat.

I wouldn't mind getting bulky at all :) I actually was looking forward to toning my legs and abs and working out my traps and arms after I gained the weight. Would you recommend that I start using weights right away or use my body weight first and do calasentics?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited June 2015

She has a BMI of 16 and she is still at an age where she said she is growing. Your post is a cross between ignorant and harmful. And trust me, ignorant is a very mild word, when it comes to encouraging a young girl with an eating disorder to eat "clean".
    As for the brilliant advice to have her lift now, while she is dangerously underweight, let her dr clear her for this type of exercise first. Not to mention the idiotic comment about her having to worry about gaining fat, with A BMI OF 16!
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    There is some great advice here. But just to say its great that you taking what people are saying on board. Good luck on your journey :)
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Nothing she has said is actually indictative of an eating disorder. She's stated that she is underweight and wants to gain without resorting to fried junk food. Again, not indicative of an eating disorder. BMI is notoriously inaccurate, so no- not concerned- especially considering she recognizes the problems and is taking steps to correct.

As for the advice to go to a nutritionist- that's excellent if you can get a referral. Part of the problem is that doctors don't really get much training in nutrition. So she may just not really know the right things to tell you and then you get thrown back "take your vitamins". I am assuming you have had a thyroid panel done and had that ruled out. That might account for the shortness of breath as well.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    actually a lot of what she said is indicative of an eating disorder

a teenage girl who is still growing at a drastically low BMI and so confused about food that it is making her panic

sweetheart please talk to your parents and get some proper help

I think your rational mind is very sensible but nobody can do this alone
  • adobrev
    adobrev Posts: 108 Member
    I don't agree that I have an eating disorder, but I'm sure someone is going to say "denying that you don't have a disorder is a symptom of a disorder". In order to accurately access and say I have one ,you'd have to look through all of my medical records, and at least have some type of license in the medical field to understand my medical chart. I also mentioned that I've had tests done and they've been negative.

I did say I was going to set up an appointment with my physician some time this week to do a check up, and see what's going on with my breathing.

The thing is, not everyone who is underweight has an eating disorder, it's just how we are. Same with people who are a bit over weight, they don't have an eating disorder, they're just converting their food into fat and storing it more than the average person who does exercise and burns the excess calories.

Again thank you for everyone's concern though, I do appreciate that people care on my fitness pal :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    it did take me a long time to catch up with my height.
    consider nut butters.
    avocados
    good hearty breads.
    eating a balanced diet will help you feel healthy but if you have fatty foods now and then, you will be fine as well. and enjoy this time in your life :smiley:
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Just popping in to say, don't worry about "catching" diabetes from eating too much sugar. Neither Type I, nor Type II work like that. Sugar exacerbates symptoms from a problem that's already there, which is why people who eat a lot of sugar are diagnosed (because the symptoms pop up when they binge on sugar), but trust me, this is not a disease you can get from eating a candy bar.

That being said, if you have a family history of Type II, that would warrant some caution, as it is largely genetic. But I'm just trying to alleviate some of your anxiety about eating.
  • BuccaneersFan
    BuccaneersFan Posts: 36 Member
    aggelikik wrote: »

She has a BMI of 16 and she is still at an age where she said she is growing. Your post is a cross between ignorant and harmful. And trust me, ignorant is a very mild word, when it comes to encouraging a young girl with an eating disorder to eat "clean".
    As for the brilliant advice to have her lift now, while she is dangerously underweight, let her dr clear her for this type of exercise first. Not to mention the idiotic comment about her having to worry about gaining fat, with A BMI OF 16!

I see you didn't want to respond to the question about whether you work in the medical field.

I think you have an issue with reading comprehension, and trust me, issue is a very mild word, you obviously lack any reading comprehension at all. First off she's 20 years old, she's not growing anymore. Secondly, I never used the word "clean" when suggesting what she should eat, I said eat "healthy foods." Are you saying she should not eat healthy foods? Because that is completely and utterly ignorant. Third, I never said for her to "not" gain fat or to worry about gaining fat, I said that by lifting she would gain "some muscle and not all fat." Eating a bunch of crap to gain weight is not going to leave her any better off than she is right now.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    You really should talk to your doctor about this. Any good doctor can put together a diet for you of foods that won't make you feel sick. Good luck
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    I don't have this issue. BUT my son does. He is a 16yo XC runner with an ***ectomorph*** body type who has to eat 3600 a day to maintain (and he recently went from a 32 to a 30 so we are going to have to bump again). And if everyone who denied having an eating disorder had an eating disorder then everyone would have one (denying population + accepting population = entire population). Look up ectomorph and see if it fits you.

So, here's some thoughts. Don't wait to eat. If you are hungry, eat. Take snack with you everywhere. Take meal replacement bars or nuts or whatever. Keep snack crackers in the car. He carries a small water bottle (6 oz) and refills at water fountains if necessary. You can also freeze bottles of water if it's warm out. It helps get snack down. You can also set an alarm on your phone to remind you to eat so you don't have to remember.

That being said, our saving grace came in the form of two words the pediatrician muttered in passing.

ENSURE PLUS (Boost Total also). Comes in vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry. Drink alone or add fruit and/or ice cream and/or peanut butter and/or doc approved weight gainer and/or whatever. Also can drink with ice. 350 cals in 8 oz. DY NO MITE right! (showing my age here).

Cost: Ensure coupons online and Wal-mart has store brand (although the kid says it tastes like crap).

Other high cal snacks:
    -- Peanut butter & jelly (mentioned above). Freeze portions for easy eating. Add PB to anything you want.
    -- Meal replacement bars. Do not replace meal, eat with a meal. He eats one after eating at friend's house (esp if he didn't like the food and was eating to be polite). He always has a couple around. Often on sale. Lost of coupons, too. Check clearance sections.
    -- Greek yogurt. High cal varieties. 260 cals in 6 oz. If on a budget buy in the larger tubs and portion it out. Add whatever you want to spice it up. Use in place of sour cream.
    -- Almonds (mentioned above) - In a variety of flavors and you can make your own flavors. Son puts hot sauce on them and bakes in the oven *line pan with aluminum foil for easy clean up*.
    -- Pasta - However you like it (his is alfredo with extra cheese and chicken). Freeze individual bags or containers.

Type II Diabetes.
    I have it. I currently have no sugar issues. There is tons of info on pre-diabetes. Over 45, high cholesterol, sedentary, etc. can affect it.

What I still have are circulation issues, internal organ degradation, and vision issues, but they are minimal. The biggest thing my doc encourages is 30 min exercise a day. Consistency is key. It doesn't have to be running or lifting weights or any of that. (note: I run because I love running). Per my doc, *walking is fine*. Not power walking, not speed walking, just walking.

All of this should be reviewed with your doc, for certain! There are a host of reasons why folks can't gain weight (including over active thyroid and metabolism). If he says you are fine, and you feel you aren't fine, get a second opinion. Why not?

If you have specific diabetes questions, you can message me.

Best of luck.
    leslisa
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Breathing problems might be from an anxiety attack or asthma. I really doubt you are experiencing clogged arteries. But a visit to the doctor can start ruling these things out.

Since calories in is the goal, worry less about what you are eating. Really. But it's good for you to learn that a calorie dense food like avocado, even though dieters eat it, is good for you, too.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Breathing problems might be from an anxiety attack or asthma. I really doubt you are experiencing clogged arteries. But a visit to the doctor can start ruling these things out.

Since calories in is the goal, worry less about what you are eating. Really. But it's good for you to learn that a calorie dense food like avocado, even though dieters eat it, is good for you, too.

This absolutely. You sound like you're experiencing some anxiety. It's a sneaky thing that can cause a lot of symptoms you would not expect. But breathing problems is definitely a red flag, especially since you mentioned worrying that you are clogging hour arteries. I would suggest you go to a NEW doctor and/or therapist. They can, in turn, recommend a good dietitian to help with the weight gain
  • reachingforarainbow
    reachingforarainbow Posts: 224 Member
    I don't necessarily think you have an eating disorder. I also don't think you have clogged arteries.
    Some people do happen to have problems putting on weight. Do not stress yourself on this. I do think that the therapist is a good idea to help you deal with the traumatic thing that happened.

I also think you need a new doctor. While they may not be able to give you a direct solution to help with the weight gain, they should encourage you, and perhaps give you some suggestions (eg. peanut butter, ensures etc)

When you are gaining weight, I encourage you to get lots of fats and proteins (although fats can slow digestion, so just try to stick with MFP recommended amount). I'd also suggest lifting weights. Yes it does burn more calories to have muscles but I think you will be happier if you put on some extra muscle as well as just more fat (which don't get me wrong, you probably need)

Do try and treat yourself. You need to have fun with food. Enjoy it! If your not, try different foods.
  • jmoneycgt
    jmoneycgt Posts: 80 Member
    Do you just have breathing problems after a big meal? I have never been thin, but after a huge meal and feeling over stuffed it can kind of be harder to breathe. Not like I am going to die, but it almost feels like you have to make a conscious effort to breathe in deeply. Could it be that? Have you tried eating more smaller meals? maybe you are just not used to eating so much quantity at a time.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Here's the thing. It really doesn't matter who here thinks OP has an eating disorder or not. What we do know is that OP weighs 87 pounds and is worried that eating fried foods for a week has clogged her arteries, while she is experiencing trouble breathing.

Telling her anything other than "Go see a doctor*" is irresponsible at best and potentially harmful at worst.

*Advising to get a new doctor since she clearly doesn't like her current one is also not an issue.