Substitute for wine

Hey guys and gals! Okay, so I'm a once/week (usually Saturday) if that, Pinot Gricio wine drinker. I'm looking for anyone out there that enjoys drinking wine on occasion, but has some healthier, well I guess less calorie alcohol drink. Also, a reply of "just don't drink" doesn't help. Lol. Not gonna happen.

Replies

• ncscott11
    ncscott11 Posts: 100 Member
    Make it fit. I drink a glass or two of wine almost every night and it hasn't affected my weight loss. Just measure it out so you know how much you are consuming. :)
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    There is no substitute for wine ;)

You could try spritzers with soda water or diet lemonade.
    I like vodka, soda & lime. Or whisky & diet Coke.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Well... most of the calories in wine are in the alcohol content itself. So, switching to another form of alcohol isn't going to save you too many calories - a few if you switch to something with no sugar content, but not a ton.

If you like wine, just enjoy wine in moderation and work it into your calorie goals. Maybe save up some calories during the week so you can enjoy a few glasses.
  • shannon_reese24
    shannon_reese24 Posts: 9 Member
    Yeah, I've been thinking about trying out the vodka. I guess I'm just looking for a less calorie alcoholic drink.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,992 Member
    yesimpson wrote: »
    There is no substitute for wine ;)

You could try spritzers with soda water or diet lemonade.
    I like vodka, soda & lime. Or whisky & diet Coke.

AGREE!!! Wine is ok as long as you drink in moderation and make sure you are staying within a serving size (5oz is typically 100cal for table white or red).
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Yeah, I've been thinking about trying out the vodka. I guess I'm just looking for a less calorie alcoholic drink.

There's about 96 calories in one shot of vodka. So if you mixed it with a zero calorie beverage...

A 5oz glass of PG has about 120, depending on the alcohol content.

• yesimpson
    PeachyPlum wrote: »

There's about 96 calories in one shot of vodka. So if you mixed it with a zero calorie beverage...

I thought it was less than that! 70-odd, but I can't remember where I heard that, so I do think you're more likely right. Might be logging those nights out wrong...
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    I generally make it fit, and have a glass of wine pretty much every day. If I want a second "glass of wine," sometimes I'll do half-wine half-plain sparkling water. Lately I've been buying that sugar/calorie-free clear sparkling soda (so it's sweet, but no calorie) and just have that as my "second glass" of wine.

But a substitute for that first glass? No way! Fit it in with your calorie budget. Especially if you only have a glass once a week? Really, not gonna derail you.
  • hurricaneemly
    hurricaneemly Posts: 23 Member
    I'm looking for anyone out there that enjoys drinking wine on occasion, but has some healthier, well I guess less calorie alcohol drink
    Honestly, I'm a wine lover myself. Wine is wine... Just make it fit or hang your head in shame for going over (that's what I usually wind up doing :'( )

If you're looking for a different drink, vodka sodas with EXTRA lemon are my go to. Or, if you're able to trick yourself, sometimes just club soda and lemon can do the trick. Vodka, overall, is one of the better choices. http://getdrunknotfat.com/ has a cool comparison chart if vodka isn't your bag though :)
  • yesimpson
    edited June 2015
    The tricky thing in the UK is it's a pain in the bum to get served a 125ml glass of wine in a pub or bar, as most places now serve 175ml as standard, so if you aren't diligent about specifying you mean the 125ml measure as a 'small' you could be getting more than you're accounting for.

Not assuming OP is British, just lamenting the difficulties of being offered more wine, and having to go, 'oh no, less than that please' :'(
  • dorkyfaery
    dorkyfaery Posts: 255 Member
    I will echo what some others have said - there is no substitute for wine! I drink wine for the enjoyment of having wine, not for the buzz I get, so if wine is what I want, vodka is no substitute. Personally, I would just take an extra 20 minute walk or shave some calories in other areas to make it fit.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    PeachyPlum wrote: »

I like mixing vodka with zero calorie beverages. It's a good idea if you're watching calories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited June 2015
    Hey guys and gals! Okay, so I'm a once/week (usually Saturday) if that, Pinot Gricio wine drinker. I'm looking for anyone out there that enjoys drinking wine on occasion, but has some healthier, well I guess less calorie alcohol drink. Also, a reply of "just don't drink" doesn't help. Lol. Not gonna happen.

outside of straight up booze or booze with a diet mixer, wine is your best bet.

honestly if I was just have a couple drinks once per week (if that) I really probably would just have whatever I felt like having. It is the hopeless booze hounds like myself that need to come up with tricks to keep the calories down while keeping the buzz going.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    LOL lets be honest there is no substitute for wine!

Wine along with straight liquor are your lowest calorie alcohol bets.

I don't include the "light" drinks (think Skinnygirl wines, etc.) because they're made light by taking away the alcohol.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Does.
    Not.
    Compute

Cava is 99 calories a glass
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    The only substitute for wine is more wine :D

OP: is there any way to work in the wine with your daily calories?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    make it fit. i have beer every day, just about. sometimes lots LOLOL
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Sometimes I will make "sangria". I will do like 3 oz of wine with crushed up fruit in the bottom of the glass and diet sprite. One of my favorites is three or four raspberries and a little bit of chopped peach in some kind of white wine.

My motive when doing this to be able to stretch that one or two glasses of wine to three or four... BUT honestly wine is so perfect on its own.
  • shannon_reese24
    shannon_reese24 Posts: 9 Member
    Oh I usually drink a whole bottle. I'm not really into the 2 glasses a night thing. My husband and I like to enjoy ourselves 1 night a week.
  • gkclanin
    gkclanin Posts: 6 Member
    I never realized how many calories I was drinking until I joined MFP. So far I have gone 7 days with no wine but I'm going to have to find a way to work it in.