Losing Weight to Lose Meds

jaims224
jaims224 Posts: 62 Member
Hey All!

I was diagnosed with PCOS a couple of years ago. I knew at the time it was what I was dealing with, so it was not much of a surprise. My problem has been that I just didn't care. I mean, I cared, just not enough to do anything about it. I have turned a corner though and decided it is time to get better.
So, my symptoms, I have horribly painful periods, excessive facial hair (mostly my chin), a ridiculously hard time losing weight, high blood pressure, and mood swings. I finally relented (about a year or so ago) because of the pain and started BCP. I am on my fourth kind. Every new type I try works for about 3-4 months and then the pain slowly returns.
I think what I am looking for is some success stories. I really want some reassurance that I can change this with hard work, because I am definitely not opposed to it. I would like to get off of the BCP since my blood pressure is already high and my mom is worried about stroke risk. I really don't want to worry my mom.
Right now my starting plan is to cut sugar, refined carbs, alcohol (sigh), and cut back on dairy. I already run 3 days a week, but I am going to add some weight training (which I suck at staying motivated to do). I am getting a Fitbit and I have gotten some vitamins; Calcium, Vit D, Magnesium, Chromium, and Omega 3s. I am also starting the day with a pretty terrible concoction of apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, and cinnamon. All of these things have androgen or insulin resistant properties, or so I have read.
So, someone tell me that we can do this. I need to hear it.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Cutting carbs means you'll need to up your fats. A good group many of us are on is: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Check out the stickied post called launch pad for suggestions.

I have stopped taking the metformin for my IR, I have not yet dropped my BP enough to get off meds, but every single number has improved. My Endocrinologist was thrilled with me and started calling me a success story. Since I changed my diet on 1/15, I've lost 20 pounds, about 20 inches, and two full pants sizes.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10152016/mostly-full-metabolic-results-panel#latest

This link has my metabolic panel info.

Read through the recent posts here for information on supplements that might work better for you than being on birth control pills (i.e. Inositol and Vitex). If you aren't deficient, you may not need all those vitamins.

Changing my eat of eating and way of thinking, I've nuked almost all junk cravings and what is left is manageable. I have so much more energy and mental clarity. I can get out of bed in the morning without a fork lift. I feel better than I ever have in my adult life. And there are a dozen or a few dozen other more reasons. Read back over most of the posts in recent history on this group and you'll find a veritable ton of good info!
  • jaims224
    Thank you! I will check that out for sure. I will also look into the other supplements.
  • ravenstar25
    ravenstar25 Posts: 126 Member
    I hope I never go off my meds personally. I had PCOS when I was skinny, so if they take me off the meds after I lose weight I will just gain it all back again.
  • jaims224
    I hope I never go off my meds personally. I had PCOS when I was skinny, so if they take me off the meds after I lose weight I will just gain it all back again.

Yeah, I have read that it can affect us even when we are thinner. If that is the case for me I will definitely have to cross that bridge when we get there. I'm just really worried about my blood pressure.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member

I wish Metformin had worked better for me. I would not worry about being on a medication like this long term. I would worry about the birth control pills, but as those can actually be counter productive for PCOS (they help some folks, like me, but they make it worse for others), and as there are other methods to balance hormones that are possibly more effective, they may not be needed long term at all...

For me personally, I will be excited to get off of the birth control pills, but only when I am 100% certain that I can no longer get pregnant. Since the BCP triggered my high blood pressure, I'll be happy to get off that if I can, also. The rest of the medication that makes me feel better, I am content to stay with.

@ravenstar25 I cannot fathom that they would take you off the meds after losing weight. The meds are to balance your insulin and blood sugar levels, and your waistline has little to nothing to do with that. I would fight like hell to stay on them!!! Good luck.
  • SaoirseLass
    SaoirseLass Posts: 15 Member
    Metformin and I are not on speaking terms. I am taking inositol along with increased omega3, vit D and B12. Going off BC and switching to IUD to stop fibroid bleeding and anemia. Please pray for me! Only been off BC for the 3 years of fertility treatments years ago. My OBGYN is recommending Trulicity, a GLP class drug you inject once a week. Little side effects and attacks IR from a different angle than metformin. Unfortunately it is not cheap, but im going to at least try it. I start in 2 weeks.