Things I had to unlearn about losing weight

Replies

• HaibaneReki
    HaibaneReki Posts: 373 Member
    loved it, shamelessly re-posted :blush:
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    These are some of the things that were either bad information peddled by diet plan sellers (Atkins, South Beach, Tim Ferris, etc) or broscience that I had to unlearn to actually lose weight successfully. Unlearning these things has helped me approach eating and losing weight from a far better direction mentally.
    • Cut out all bad foods, eat only healthy things. (No, I can have a balanced diet that allows room for some treats)
    • Cut out carbs or fat or sugar. (No, carbs are good, and healthy fats are necessary. An appropriate level of all of them can be had if I work them into my calorie budget)
    • Don't eat anything after X o'clock, it'll go straight to fat. (No, eating so that I end up in a surplus made me fat)
    • Starvation mode will make me store fat. (No, but undereating too much will cause other problems)
    • Certain types of foods must be eaten in the morning or afternoon. (No, our bodies evolved to make the most of the food we eat when we get it)
    • You must eat 6x a day to boost metabolism. (No, eating frequency does not significantly change metabolism)
    • You must take certain powders or pills to boost metabolism [usually part of a diet plan]. (No, supplements are not effective to change metabolic rates)
    • You can eat unlimited amounts of certain healthy foods. (No, eating too much of anything will put on weight, but very calorie dense foods are much easier to overeat)
    • You must eat certain combinations of foods in certain orders to optimize thermogenic effects. (No, any such effects are too small to make enough of a difference)
    • You have to work out X minutes a day, or do certain routines to lose weight. (No, you don't have to exercise to lose weight, but it can help you get to a deficit and has other benefits)

Great post mate.
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    These are some of the things that were either bad information peddled by diet plan sellers (Atkins, South Beach, Tim Ferris, etc) or broscience that I had to unlearn to actually lose weight successfully. Unlearning these things has helped me approach eating and losing weight from a far better direction mentally.
    • Cut out all bad foods, eat only healthy things. (No, I can have a balanced diet that allows room for some treats)
    • Cut out carbs or fat or sugar. (No, carbs are good, and healthy fats are necessary. An appropriate level of all of them can be had if I work them into my calorie budget)
    • Don't eat anything after X o'clock, it'll go straight to fat. (No, eating so that I end up in a surplus made me fat)
    • Starvation mode will make me store fat. (No, but undereating too much will cause other problems)
    • Certain types of foods must be eaten in the morning or afternoon. (No, our bodies evolved to make the most of the food we eat when we get it)
    • You must eat 6x a day to boost metabolism. (No, eating frequency does not significantly change metabolism)
    • You must take certain powders or pills to boost metabolism [usually part of a diet plan]. (No, supplements are not effective to change metabolic rates)
    • You can eat unlimited amounts of certain healthy foods. (No, eating too much of anything will put on weight, but very calorie dense foods are much easier to overeat)
    • You must eat certain combinations of foods in certain orders to optimize thermogenic effects. (No, any such effects are too small to make enough of a difference)
    • You have to work out X minutes a day, or do certain routines to lose weight. (No, you don't have to exercise to lose weight, but it can help you get to a deficit and has other benefits)

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fgifstumblr.com%2Fimages%2Fi-request-the-highest-of-fives_672.gif&f=1
  • kbaker001
    kbaker001 Posts: 61 Member
    Excellent!
  • SalvaJ
    SalvaJ Posts: 22 Member
    very nice post, thanks!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited June 2015
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Well done, sir! <3

Add in something about cleanses being bogus and you've got the holy grail. :)

But THE TOXINS....how am I supposed to get rid of the evil toxins that are making me fat???? ;)

The only two cleanses that are proven to be beneficial are The Peeps Master Cleanse™ and The Haribo Sugarfree Gummy Bear Cleanse™ because delicious.

B)

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited June 2015
    double post. :p
  • HaibaneReki
    HaibaneReki Posts: 373 Member
    ... The Haribo Sugarfree Gummy Bear Cleanse™ because delicious.

B)

brilliant! :D
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    kygirl8282 wrote: »
    This is fantastic. As a forum lurker, I've noticed your posts/comments are always well thought out and informative.
    I've learned more in a month of mfp than I ever knew in years prior, and it's due to posts like this. Thank you!

My feelings exactly. Will be directing people to that post, adding to favourites.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Thanks @mamapeach910, @orphia, @rabbitjb, and @ILiftHeavyAcrylics!

You guys deserve a lot of the credit for trying to bring sanity to the disinformation out there. I'm in y'all's debt.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    th?id=JN.1ZcJ99nO6fJ4OQHUuMyYkg&pid=15.1
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
  • YolliB2014
    YolliB2014 Posts: 104 Member
    This is fantastic!!! I would also agree that it should be made available to all new comers. When I started here 45 days ago, I started with the hope that I would never again have to diet or follow some gimmicky notion or fear some fat conspiracy theory. Because I have a chronic illness, I have to lose my weight without causing my body any added stress and it's posts like this one that give me hope and inspire me because this IS sound, healthy weight loss advice. So a big Thank You to you!!!!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Great post! I give it the highest of fives.

The biggest thing I had to learn is that I didn't have to constantly keep my body in a state of confusion....in order to keep my metabolism running. My body is a lot smarter than I gave her credit for previously.

Yes. I was taught this years ago by Weight Watchers and totally bought into it until coming to MFP a few weeks ago. But I'm steadily losing about a pound a week simply by eating at a deficit. I struggled to lose all those other times. This time it is almost easy.
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    This is great. I wish there was a way to make every new MFP user read this before they start asking questions about the things you addressed. Wishful thinking.