damn you shins!!!!

HHEHEA
HHEHEA Posts: 17 Member
Finally got some new kicks...never had Brooks b4..but my shins have really been killing me lately..went to a "runners shoe store" although I walk...they watched me walk to determine the best shoe for me....so Brooks it is....now I need to get some good compression socks to see if that won't help some with my shins

Any other suggestions????

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Take the shoes back.
    tell them you have pain
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Did the pain happen after buying the new shoes? If so, then tell them, as above.

I would also consider doing various exercises:
    -firstly, this one: http://www.wimble.com/the-best-exercise-for-combating-shin-splints/
    -also calf raises
    -calf stretches
    -abductor exercises
    -squats (assuming you don't already)

Sounds like I'm into kidnapping baby cows.
  • HHEHEA
    I just got the shoes yesterday...they r not giving me pain....I have shin splints and have had them for years. .

Lol..
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member

Sounds like I'm into kidnapping baby cows.

Baby cows are adorable. It would be completely understandable.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    HHEHEA wrote: »
    I just got the shoes yesterday...they r not giving me pain....I have shin splints and have had them for years. .

Lol..

Have you been resting them until they're COMPLETELY gone? Because if you don't, you just prolong the recovery and can potentially make them worse.

It's probably best to change your foot strike too.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Agree with the rest - you need to rest then once the pain has gone you can do the exercises.

Mine got so bad that I would wake up in the middle of the night to sharp stabbing pains in my shins.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Prevention is possible for most people. Google shin splint prevention. Do the exercises and stretches. Treat, rest and recover.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited June 2015
    Ice and compression help. Rest is the best way to recover.

As far as prevention, the major causes are shoes, surface, and overuse. It sounds like you have the shoes part down. Don't run or do high impact activities on hard surfaces like concrete. If using a treadmill, set the incline to at least 1%. A completely flat treadmill can cause shin splints because of the motion. Give yourself a day between high impact exercises to recover.

Some people are just naturally more prone to them than others. I only had them when I was doing gymnastics in high school. We were running vault on plain concrete and practicing on the gymnasium floor a lot without shoes. The only thing that fixed them was the off-season. A friend has them from running all of the time. She started wearing compression socks during her long runs and says they help a lot.
  • HHEHEA
    I didn't think about the incline on the treadmill. ..definetly will try this. ..thank you!!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    HHEHEA wrote: »
    I didn't think about the incline on the treadmill. ..definetly will try this. ..thank you!!!
    Welcome! I'm glad to pass it on and I hope it helps. I didn't know that could be a problem until recently myself.

One other advantage to a slight incline is that it helps to better simulate running outside. It makes the transition from treadmill to outdoor running a lot easier. Because there aren't a lot of treadmill races. :smile: