June 2015 Running Challenge

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,382 Member
    edited June 2015
    @briebee7 - I found there are 3 in So California, none in the OC (because people in the OC don't run apparently). Closest is 40 miles away. Maybe this is an opportunity to fulfill a missing need. I may need to look into this franchise!
    I saw a fantastic idea for a running store and beer bar in Montana - craft beer on tap and running shoes/supplies! People came in for a beer and help out in the store as well as creating a great running community :)

@louubelle16 - have you tried icing your shins? When I had shin splint issues I used ice cups to rub the ice into the inflamed/sore areas on my shin. Initially I did it a few times a day - in the morning and before bed at least. Once I started easing back into running a little bit, I iced morning and night and after my runs. The sports doc also had me doing calf stretches as often as the icing. I still stretch before and after my run and even during if I start to feel anything in my shin.

@Elise4270 , @JoRocka , @Stoshew71, @skippygirlsmom - I try to run early in the day too. Sometimes it works and sometimes I just don't get out early enough and the heat sucks. I drink tones of water during the day and sweat it all out during my runs. I am typically soaked and it is running off my hat when I get home and yes I get cold then too :) Elise - I would try to take enough water with you that you can squirt or dump some on your head and neck along the way or if there is a drinking fountain use it for the same.

@MsMolitor and @torituma4 - Welcome to the group! Post what you run, how it felt, pictures of where you run or whatever other information you want to share or questions you may have. This is a great group of runners of all levels!

@dennie24 - Oh NO! Heal fast!! I know it will be so hard not to run again for a while but really do take it easy and take care of your leg!!
    @mwyvr - Sorry you had a bad run, but you got through it and the next one will be much better! Hope the rest day helps!!
    @SonicDeathMonkey80 - the marathon pics are great! looks like a wonderful place to run. Also how is it that you always look so great after a race - like you haven't even run yet???
    @steff274 - Welcome! Of course you can use what you have already run!
    @emmy15rocks - In addition to the great advice on the link @SBRRepeat provided my trainer also has me pull my shoulders back and lats down when I run - it helps so much! I went to a class on bats with my daughter in Seattle - they are actually awesome creatures!

@Timby1 - glad you will be back joining us! Just ease back in slowly!
    @HonuNui - Beautiful!!

Ok - I think I am pretty well caught up with everyone! Whew there were a lot of posts to go through in just 2 days... looking forward to my run in the morning!
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited June 2015
    exercise.png
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    Month to date:		079.89 km (39% of Goal)
    Goal:			200.00 km / 124 miles
    Stretch Goal:		242.00 km / 150 miles
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    Wed Jun 10 13.37 km Mountain Trail
    Tue Jun 09 12.00 km Trails and hills
    Mon Jun 08 07.58 km
    Sun Jun 07 00.00 Rest
    Sat Jun 06 05.41 km 
    Fri Jun 05 17.63 km
    Thu Jun 04 00.00 Rest
    Wed Jun 03 11.87 km Mountain Trail
    Tue Jun 02 00.00 km Rest
    Mon Jun 01 12.03 km

@shaneabner Yesterday felt crappy and was totally wiped. Woke up feeling blah but improved over the day so took the opportunity to go for a mountain run and man am I ever glad I did. Had a blast.

Listening to our bodies is important. Sometimes they say rest. Sometimes they say "it's ok to stop resting". :smile: Our bodies are amazing things.

IMG_20150610_155011.jpg

Mountain doggies are amazing things too. :smiley:

• louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    shanaber wrote: »
    @louubelle16 - have you tried icing your shins? When I had shin splint issues I used ice cups to rub the ice into the inflamed/sore areas on my shin. Initially I did it a few times a day - in the morning and before bed at least. Once I started easing back into running a little bit, I iced morning and night and after my runs. The sports doc also had me doing calf stretches as often as the icing. I still stretch before and after my run and even during if I start to feel anything in my shin.

Thanks for this @shanaber , I will definitely try frequent icing :) in fact, I'm sat with a bag of peas on my shins right now!
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    edited June 2015
    1/06 - 2.07
    2/06 - 2.17
    5/06 - 1.93
    6/06 - 3.13
    11/06 - 4.01

exercise.png

lagging horribly! crazy week... need to pick it up

• LittlePinkShotgun
    LittlePinkShotgun Posts: 101 Member
    exercise.png
  • 31flavors
    31flavors Posts: 154 Member
    June 3..........2.94 miles
    June 6..........3.35 miles
    June 7..........4 miles
    June 10........5.63 miles

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Date Miles today. Miles for May
    6/1 10.6 miles - 10.6
    6/2 10 miles - 20.6
    6/3 6.2 miles - 26.8
    6/4 6.2 miles - 33
    6/5 6.55 miles - 39.55
    6/6 15 miles - 54.55
    6/7 REST DAY
    6/8 9.6 miles - 64.15
    6/9 10.3 - 74.45
    6/10 8 miles - 82.45
    6/11 8 miles - 90.45

exercise.png

• emmy15rocks
    emmy15rocks Posts: 73 Member
    SBRRepeat wrote: »
    Bats? Gee, that sounds swell...

I think it's fairly common to tense your shoulders when running, or just generally. Here ya go: http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/get-rid-of-shoulder-tension

@emmy15rocks - In addition to the great advice on the link @SBRRepeat provided my trainer also has me pull my shoulders back and lats down when I run - it helps so much! I went to a class on bats with my daughter in Seattle - they are actually awesome creatures!

Thanks guys! I'll let you know if it helps :)
  • missmelis98
    missmelis98 Posts: 31 Member
    6/9: 3.1
    Total 24.9/60
    Have my first 5k on sunday and my plantar fascitis has been bugging me a bit. I dont know if I should take a day off before race or what. And my first race is a mud run I am doing with my family. Wish I would have picked a regular one to run.
  • tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member

exercise.png

6/1--3.12 miles
    6/2--Yoga
    6/3--4.58 miles
    6/4--yoga
    6/5--4.5 miles
    6/6--6.12 miles
    6/7--rest
    6/8--3.24 miles
    6/9--rest
    6/10-5.03 miles
  • tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    @tdbernrd - I have never heard of a runners low unless it is the reason some runners cry after a race?
    At first, this is what I was thinking. Do they experience some kind of regret about the race, but I didn't have a clue. I'm always happy that I did my best.
    @tdbernrd - I've seen a few threads recently here, or maybe in the Long Distance Runners group about this. There can be a lot of contributing factors, mental and physical. From reaching your goal and feeling you have lost your purpose, to a build up of cortisol leading to some depression. I have only felt this once, and it was kind of mild but noticeable. In that case I think it was physical because mentally I had some bigger goals planned in my future. But I had run my butt off in that half without preparing nutritionally for running at that high of an effort (over 2 and a half hours at my "fast" pace). I suppose part of it might have been mental from being a little bit defeated both in my original plan, and from having to struggle so hard to finish what should have been a relatively easy half.
    Wow! I asked the young man about his nutrition. I never considered the build up of cortisol. I'll have to find the Long Distance Runners group. If I can avoid feeling like this after a race, I will.
    @tdbernrd - I don't get depressed or a runner's low or anything after a 5K/10K but I certainly did after my half. It was my first (and only so far) and I worked so hard to get there that I kinda felt like what now after I was done. Also I was spent afterwards and then I saw my mileage and speed suffer and I was like what the heck. People told me it was normal and to continue on. So I signed up for a 10K and that gave me something to look forward too. Then my mileage picked back up and so did my "speed" and all is well now in my world.
    I am blown away that this is common after certain races. I will ask if he has any other goals to reach. He may need somewhere to focus his attention and effort. He wasn't very descriptive about his running plans.

Thanks @shanaber, @WhatMeRunning, @skippygirlsmom! I knew you wonderful people would be able to help. It's amazing how much experience is in this running challenge. I will share your insight. It's really awesome to be apart of such a supportive environment. I just thought of something. I need to direct him here.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Date...... Miles..... Time..... Notes
    7 June.... 4.04...... 35.24.... Solid- M.3 started to get tight- but felt good. Very happy for sub 9 min splits.
    10 June.... 1.0........15....... lord. I walked 1/4 mile to warm up- and told myself I was going to run for 2 miles- but after my lift taking me over 2 hours to complete- I pretty much gave up at 15 minutes- which was about 1 mile. I felt pretty pathetic about it- but whatever- 5 miles for JUNE!

Cardio of 15 minutes was achieved. I think I'll try again outside tonight- I'm not much of a treadmill runner- I feel awful on there and my speed sucks. So. Yes. Again tonight. Call it a week LOL
  • Ghlt4
    Ghlt4 Posts: 241 Member
    Miles so far. I'm struggling this month with the heat and humidity. I've noticed a big change for the worse in my endurance and times.

06/01. 7.01
    06/03. 3.01
    06/08. 1.50
    06/09. 2.03
    06/10. 4.16

exercise.png

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    6/1 - 5 miles
    6/2 - 5.3 miles
    6/3 - 3.2 miles
    6/4 - 4.4 miles
    6/5 - 2.3 miles
    6/6 - 1.6 miles - rest day today but did this to keep the 41 Days of Awesome challenge streak going
    6/7 - 7 miles - I'm so proud of this run it was at 10:21 pace, which is fast for me - I was comfortable the whole run :smiley:
    6/8 - 4.4 miles
    6/9 - 5.8 miles
    6/10 - 1.6 miles - rest day today - just keeping the 41 Days of Awesome challenge alive. I'm trying to do this mile at a faster than normal pace for me. Then I grabbed Macy and took her for a 2 mile walk.
    6/11 - 6 miles

46.6 out of 120 miles

exercise.png

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,468 Member
    3 miles last night (and very early this morning!) after the ball game. I ran with Kody, my awesome lab. I'll have to post of picture of him some time. I've been leaving him behind more and more lately because of the higher temps. He of course doesn't understand why and gets a hurt look on his face when I leave without him so it was really nice to be able to take him on this run.

June Progress: 21.2 out of 50 miles

RunTimer wrote: »
    The bad news..The geese are back at the lake: not the smartest animals they're more likely to run into you rather than out of the way.

Not to mention the landmines they leave behind!

@mwyvr beautiful dog!
    @mismelis58 I'm very new to running and the last person here to get advice from, but I think a day off before your race would be a great idea. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    @stoshew71 okay so the alarm went off this morning and I rolled over and got up and thought, it's bright for 4:20 and looked at the clock it was 5:05...so I hit the snooze 3 times and that is my story on why I wasn't at the run this morning. Honestly I really wanted to go, I had my work clothes in the car and everything last night. LOL

@runtimer I hate geese. They walk across the street where I work and don't even move when the cars are coming. They block the traffic, me I just keep going it makes them move faster :wink:

@honunui wow what a beautiful picture

@tdbernrd you are welcome I love this group too, I have learned so much and everyone is so supportive

@ghlt4 oh yeah the humidity will zap the life out of you, keep hydrating and take it slow and let your body get used to it

@mwyvr is that your doggie? So cute!!!! Nothing like a good run to make you feel good.

@shanaber okay I'm in for the running shoe store/beer place. I cracked up at your comment to @SonicDeathMonkey - I think that all the time...like do you sweat? Skip always says no one should that good after a marathon.

@emmy15rocks I don't know if this will help with your tense shoulders but Skip's coach tells the kids when they are tense to relax their hands. I call it potato chips hands, you know you don't want to grab your chips tight or they will break. We were at a XC meet one time and I heard a coach yell at this team "potato chip fingers!!!". I thought I would die laughing.

@steff274 welcome to our little family. Good luck on the 10K this weekend. You cracked me up with crawl comment. When I did my first half a few months back I said I won't walk, I might crawl but I won't walk LOL
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Date Miles today. Miles for May
    6/1 10.6 miles - 10.6
    6/2 10 miles - 20.6
    6/3 6.2 miles - 26.8
    6/4 6.2 miles - 33
    6/5 6.55 miles - 39.55
    6/6 15 miles - 54.55
    6/7 REST DAY
    6/8 9.6 miles - 64.15
    6/9 10.3 - 74.45
    6/10 8 miles - 82.45

exercise.png

you are almost half way..great effort young man

Thank you!!

• Stoshew71
    7lenny7 wrote: »

I'll be doing my first "vacation" run tomorrow night. My son is in a high school trap shooting tournament (The largest shooting event the world with over 5600 high school kids registered!) on Friday and I plan on running on a nearby trail the night before. My first time packing my running gear...I hope I don't forget anything!

The trap shooting sounds like fun! When I packed for vacation last week Allen said "you are taking more running clothes than anything else" LOL

Go Yankees :wink:

Bronx Bombers! :mrgreen:

• Stoshew71
    edited June 2015
    @stoshew71 okay so the alarm went off this morning and I rolled over and got up and thought, it's bright for 4:20 and looked at the clock it was 5:05...so I hit the snooze 3 times and that is my story on why I wasn't at the run this morning. Honestly I really wanted to go, I had my work clothes in the car and everything last night. LOL

Fine, you will just have to run with us Saturday morning then.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    edited June 2015
    I am training for a quarter marathon in August (my first). I don't really track mileage, I track minutes jogging and trust that the mileage will take care of itself. I do run/walk so I only count the time actually running in my run minutes.

Right now, I'm doing just over 40 minutes most run days but I figure I need to get that closer to at least 90 minutes to be adequately trained for the marathon so I'm going to set my June month goal at 900 minutes.

exercise.png