Fitbits aria scale/scale recommendations?

elphie754
elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
So I seem to have really bad luck with bathroom scales. They tend to stop working properly after a few months. I think it might be because I have been buying cheap scales, so I am considering "splurging" on a more expensive scale.

I have a Fitbit flex so I was thinking about getting their aria scale, but it's a bit pricey. Was wondering if anyone currently uses an aria scale and if so what do you like about it? What are the pro/cons?

If you don't use an aria scale, do you have any other recommendations on a good quality scale?

Replies

• MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    I don't know if fitbit do an aria scale without all of the body fat rubbish, but that would be cheaper. The body fat things aren't very accurate and are a needless expense.

I have the Withings wifi scale without the Body Fat % (they do have a body fat version for pretty much twice the price). Love it to bits. It syncs with MFP too. I stand on the scale in the morning, get off and ignore it, then everything is done for me. It wasn't cheap, but I managed to get it at a discount which made it better. Shop around.
  • sallysuze
    sallysuze Posts: 65 Member
    I found the aria hopeless. It needs to be set up and out all the time to be most accurate, no putting it away. It varied hugely with water weight, to do with the way it measures. Something about measuring conductance not weight or something. I could get on and off five times over the space of 5 mins and it would be different each time. Couldn't trust it.
    I persisted for two months then sold it on. Much prefer the more basic scales, at least I can trust them.
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    edited June 2015
    sallysuze wrote: »
    I found the aria hopeless. It needs to be set up and out all the time to be most accurate, no putting it away. It varied hugely with water weight, to do with the way it measures. Something about measuring conductance not weight or something. I could get on and off five times over the space of 5 mins and it would be different each time. Couldn't trust it.
    I persisted for two months then sold it on. Much prefer the more basic scales, at least I can trust them.

This is pretty much the same with most scales depending on the surface you are placing it on. if you want consistency, then leave it alone.

The other issue you had with it is the body fat analyser I was talking about. They really aren't of much value at all other than giving you and incredibly vague "trend" over time, so yeah, definitely don't spend extra for that feature if you are looking to keep the cost down.

as far as my Withings goes... I've placed a 10kg weight on it several times and it measured it as exactly that (after some faffing to get it to recognise it... the scales can sense where you are standing and things that aren't feet seem to confuse it a little).

Another feature of the withings... if you have multiple people that use the scale, it will automatically recognise up to 4 different people and track their weight, you don't need to keep changing the user. It also tells you if you aren't standing centrally, so you don't get reading issues that way (that could also have been sallysue's issue with the aria - standing slightly off centre will give you a lighter weight)
  • sallysuze
    sallysuze Posts: 65 Member
    The aria measures both body fat and weight using conductance I believe, and I found both to be inaccurate.
    I move my more basic scales in and out of storage all the time, but the tare function works and they give cosistantly the same weight.
    Others like the aria, me not so much, these are some of the cons of buying one.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    I don't know if fitbit do an aria scale without all of the body fat rubbish, but that would be cheaper. The body fat things aren't very accurate and are a needless expense.

I have the Withings wifi scale without the Body Fat % (they do have a body fat version for pretty much twice the price). Love it to bits. It syncs with MFP too. I stand on the scale in the morning, get off and ignore it, then everything is done for me. It wasn't cheap, but I managed to get it at a discount which made it better. Shop around.

I am pretty sure Fitbit only has the one aria scale since there is only one on their site. As for withings- Do you know if it can sync to Fitbit as well as mfp?

Good point. I can survive a little while longer with the one I have now, although it frustrates me. The stupid thing keeps changing from lbs to kgs by itself/randomly, so I end up having to manually switch it back. At least point I swear it does it on purpose lol.

My last three scales were basic and ended up having to replace them about 6 or so months after I bought them because they would stop being accurate or something went wonky with them. Rather spend a little more money and get a more reliable one instead of replacing them al the time. Not really into the "body analyzer" function, so it's not needed for me.

• FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    I've been using a Fitbit Aria for over a year and I love it. The fat % is not accurate but that's the case with similar scales. I use a calipers to measure body fat which is much more accurate.

The great thing about the Fitbit Aria is that I don't have to worry about tracking my weight in MFP. It does that automatically.

@sallysuze mentioned that the Aria needs to be out and set up to work. I would agree that the Aria is unable to measure your weight while sitting in the closet.
  • emlott88
    emlott88 Posts: 75 Member
    LOVE my Aria scale. I tested it's accuracy one day by weighing myself just before going to the doctor - the weight was pretty much the same. My WW scale was a good 1kg off from the doctor's scale.

I have mine set up to sync with MFP, which is awesome now after using it for several months because I can see all the daily fluctuations and now a pretty nice downward trend.

I leave mine permanently set up in the same spot on our tile bathroom floor (not straddling two tiles though - it is just on one).

I don't think the body fat percentage is very accurate though. My husband did the bod pod and it was significantly different. In the end I just look for a trend for the BF, but I do trust the weight.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    I have the aria. I find the body fat widely inaccurate. (It said I'm 36% yesterday morning ) :| ) The wifi sync is pretty nice and it will all sync with your Fitbit app. The weight itself seems to be pretty accurate
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    elphie754 wrote: »

I am pretty sure Fitbit only has the one aria scale since there is only one on their site. As for withings- Do you know if it can sync to Fitbit as well as mfp?

Good point. I can survive a little while longer with the one I have now, although it frustrates me. The stupid thing keeps changing from lbs to kgs by itself/randomly, so I end up having to manually switch it back. At least point I swear it does it on purpose lol.

My last three scales were basic and ended up having to replace them about 6 or so months after I bought them because they would stop being accurate or something went wonky with them. Rather spend a little more money and get a more reliable one instead of replacing them al the time. Not really into the "body analyzer" function, so it's not needed for me.

I've got the same Withings WS30 also, it will sync with both Fitbit and MFP. Sometimes the connectivity is weird with bluetooth, it may be better on WIFI but I couldn't tell you.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    I have the aria as well and I like it. It's been pretty consistent. Body fat measurement is a bit off compared to caliper measurements but at least it's consistent so I can use it for tracking purposes.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    I've had an Aria since last Black Friday when Amazon had it on sale for a good bit off (which is really rare) plus I had a gift card, and I do like it. The syncing is pretty convenient (and, yes, if you link it to your Fitbit account and your Fitbit account links to MFP, your weight will sync over to MFP also). I've found it to be pretty accurate; at least, I have no reason to suspect otherwise. I'm sure the body fat percentage measurement that it gives isn't the best, so if you're looking to get pretty exact with that I'd use another method, but if you're just looking for a general idea and to be able to note trends I think this would work well for that - I have noticed that, for example, on days when I know my water weight is way up for whatever reason the body fat percentage shown seems to more or less reflect that accordingly (once you've done the math). Setting it up the first time and getting it on the wireless was a tiny bit tricky, but once it was done I haven't had to think about it again. Overall, it's a perfectly fine scale, though I think that the only real advantage over a $40 bathroom scale from Target is the syncing. I'm not sure if I'd pay full price for it, but I certainly don't regret choosing it over another scale.