Dling with small plates

lisalsd1
lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
Is there a legitimate reason to be deadlifting with the small iron plates?

The woman sharing the power rack with me was dl-ing with 25s on each side. Her back was rounded when she would initially lift the bar off of the ground, but then some how she managed to fix her form.

I've seen people dling from a box before; so I was just curious if using the smaller plates (not bumper plates) serves a purpose.

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,928 Member
    edited June 2015
    lisalsd1 wrote: »

The woman sharing the power rack with me was dl-ing with 25s on each side. Her back was rounded when she would initially lift the bar off of the ground, but then some how she managed to fix her form.

I've seen people dling from a box before; so I was just curious if using the smaller plates (not bumper plates) serves a purpose.

Uh, smalll plates because she's not being to lift more yet or maybe doesn't know better.. And if her back is rounded she's doing it wrong and asking for injury... Those are my thoughts anyway.
  • lisalsd1
    VeryKatie wrote: »

Uh, smalll plates because she's not being to lift more yet. And if her back is rounded she's doing it wrong and asking for injury...

I didn't know if I should point her towards the bumper plates...she had wrist wraps and everything, so I assumed she knew what she was doing.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    most people in the public gyms don't know what they are doing.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member

Uh, smalll plates because she's not being to lift more yet. And if her back is rounded she's doing it wrong and asking for injury...

I didn't know if I should point her towards the bumper plates...she had wrist wraps and everything, so I assumed she knew what she was doing.

Eh some people use wrist wraps because they saw somene use them and thought they needed them. If she didn't look like she was doing an alternate form of deadlifting, like stiff leg, I might have mentioned about the bumper plates to her.
  • lisalsd1

Eh some people use wrist wraps because they saw somene use them and thought they needed them. If she didn't look like she was doing an alternate form of deadlifting, like stiff leg, I might have mentioned about the bumper plates to her.

She was definitely not stiff leg dling. Alright, I might say something if I see it again. I didn't want jump right in...in case, she was doing some awesome deadlift technique that I'm unaware of. I mostly didn't want to get yelled at:)
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    How much was she DLing? And was she short?

I'm a miniature human, so I kind of like using the smaller plates. With the 35lb plate the bar is practically at my knees!
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    If she was DL from a box, she could be possibly doing the New Rules of Lifting for Women where Wide Grip DLs are off a box.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    only reason to do it intentionally would be to start with the bar closer to the ground

and the only people who need straps are...idk. I've seen vids of powerlifters using them sometimes so I'm sure there are legit needs for them at times
  • lisalsd1
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    How much was she DLing? And was she short?

I'm a miniature human, so I kind of like using the smaller plates. With the 35lb plate the bar is practically at my knees!

Conventional, and she was probably 5'5. Taller than me, but not by a lot.
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    edited June 2015
    I thought you had misspelled "dining"

I was about to launch into a diatribe on the wonders of tableware.

*edit* wth did my avatar go...?
  • lisalsd1
    draznyth wrote: »
    only reason to do it intentionally would be to start with the bar closer to the ground

and the only people who need straps are...idk. I've seen vids of powerlifters using them sometimes so I'm sure there are legit needs for them at times

I think the wraps are what threw me, b/c the only person I have seen use them IRL is that guy at my gym who was dling 610. He probably legit needs them.
  • lisalsd1
    I thought you had misspelled "dining"

I was about to launch into a diatribe on the wonders of tableware.

*edit* wth did my avatar go...?

And I only use small plates for dinner...totally helps with portion control!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    When I started out, I couldn't do 135 at first, so had to do the smaller plates but I would stack plates under to get a good height (and I'm short but still tried to get it close to what it would be like with 45's). Also, I did the deadlift from a box, but used an aerobic step, as part of NROLFW. It is indeed a little different as book lists not to have it set on the floor during the reps, almost like RDLs.

Never used straps though.
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    She could be new to lifting. SL 5x5 start off with DL 95lbs so that's the bar plus 25s on each side. This could also explain her form problem if she is new to the lift
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    panda4153 wrote: »
    She could be new to lifting. SL 5x5 start off with DL 95lbs so that's the bar plus 25s on each side. This could also explain her form problem if she is new to the lift
    Hopefully it's this. I started out at 95 when I started SL5x5 so that I could focus on form. I just did 250 for reps on Tuesday.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    edited June 2015
    panda4153 wrote: »

And he recommends that women start lower (or even with a kettlebell) if needed. I started with a 10 on each side and am just now at the point where I can throw the 35's on.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Sounds like she may be new to lifting. Like others have said SL starts you out at 95lbs. I hope she gets her form down. I stayed at 95lbs for a while to make sure my form was on point. I attempt 155lbs on Monday.