Vacationing on a diet

I'm getting ready to leave for vacation tomorrow and a little nervous about staying on my eating plan. I've lost 13.5 lbs and only have 1.5 to my goal weight so I don't want to blow it now. I might lower my expectations to 'not gaining any weight' and staying even. That way I could bring my calorie intake up a bit so I don't feel like I'm missing out. Suggestions?..... Earlene

Replies

• kathyrain
    kathyrain Posts: 9 Member
    I'm leaving for vacation in Aruba next week and feel the same way! I've lost 17 lbs and want to keep going. Thankfully my husband will be with me and is also doing well losing weight using MFP. The condo supposedly has Wifi, so hopefully we will be able to track our food while there.
  • earlenenjohngarland
    earlenenjohngarland Posts: 3 Member
    My husband is also on MFP so it will make it easier using the buddy system and being acountable. We are staying in a cabin in the black hills, SD. We will have WiFi too and a kitchenette to make healthy meals. I'm going to being fresh fruit and salad makings. If we can get in some hikes then I think we'll be OK.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    If you cook/make 2 out of 3 meals and are sensible on the 3rd, you should be okay.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    I always set goals for maintenance for vacations, but keep right on logging to stay accountable.
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    I know some people see vacation as an excuse to splurge, and that may work for them, but when I was losing weight I wanted to make a lifestyle change and my new life plan included vacation time. I didn't see overindulging in food as fitting into my new lifestyle, so I chose not to splurge in that way. To me, a splurge is a treat, and doing something that is bad for my body or my perception of myself isn't a treat...

Several years ago when I was working to lose weight I went on a 10-day vacation and managed to come home four pounds lighter than when I left. I thought it would be hard, but when I left for vacation I told myself that I would make it about the experiences and not about the food. I didn't stop logging my calories, I maintained my daily deficit, and was able to do lots of walking, hiking, biking, and swimming. I made tons of great memories - and I remember a lot about that trip but very little of what I ate during it. Point is, I still had an amazing vacation without focusing on food. And coming home to an extra few pounds lost was a fantastic reward!

IMO, if you want to keep losing while on vacation, go for it. If you want to just maintain, go for it. But either way, my two cents is to think about your overall plan and consider how vacations, special events, holidays, and all that will fit into your bigger plan even in the future.

Good luck, and have fun!!
  • SarahJurina
    SarahJurina Posts: 38 Member
    This is a great time to bring this up. A lot of people are leaving for vacations this summer. I'm hoping to prep a lot of salads and take at least one or two hikes a day.