Pork tenderloin, a good alternative to chicken?

So I live in Canada and chicken is very expensive while pork is significantly less expensive. I'm just wondering if it's safe to eat pork everyday?

I hear you should only eat red meat twice a week, but in the context of a mostly plant-based diet is it safe?

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    It should be as safe as any other meat. The only caveat I would say with pork products is with cured products. Cured products can be high in sodium or nitrites, so it's a good idea to have those in more moderation.
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 21 Member
    Thank you for the response, I don't eat cured products, just pork escalope most of the time.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I don't see a problem with it. They're spruking pork heavily here at the moment as the better white meat, apparently it's leaner than chicken breast if that's of any consequence to you.

Last i checked, pork is classed as white meat, not red.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Mellouk89 wrote: »
    So I live in Canada and chicken is very expensive while pork is significantly less expensive. I'm just wondering if it's safe to eat pork everyday?

I hear you should only eat red meat twice a week, but in the context of a mostly plant-based diet is it safe?

You hear what now?
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 21 Member
    It is what the candian gouvernment recommends, and most mainstream nutritionists.
  • Christine_72
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

You hear what now?

yep, that's what is recommended here too

• ncboiler89

You hear what now?

Red meat as often as possible
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    I read that pork is technically red meat because it is livestock but that pork tenderloin is nutritionally on a par with chicken. I say go for it.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    whmscll wrote: »
    I read that pork is technically red meat because it is livestock but that pork tenderloin is nutritionally on a par with chicken. I say go for it.

Huh?
  • Christine_72

You hear what now?

haha no. Red meat no more than twice a week :disappointed:

• Christine_72
    whmscll wrote: »

That doesn't make sense. It can be only one or the other. Not both...
  • ncboiler89

You hear what now?

no
  • Christine_72

You hear what now?

no

I'm not saying I agree with it. It is just the latest "recommendation " from the nutritional powers that be.

Don't they have a min/max amount for red meat in America?

• ncboiler89
    edited June 2015

You hear what now?

no

I'm not saying I agree with it. It is just the latest "recommendation " from the nutritional powers that be.

I don't care if they do. You know what I mean? Who do you have in game two of State of Origin?
  • Christine_72

You hear what now?

no

I don't care if they do. You know what I mean? Who do you have in game two of State of Origin?

Indeed :wink:
  • ncboiler89

You hear what now?

no

Which team is indeed?
  • Christine_72
    edited June 2015

You hear what now?

no

Which team is indeed?

I was agreeing with your first sentence. State of origin... No idea. I don't follow it, it's played across the border.
    what is it you're trying to say?
  • ncboiler89

You hear what now?

no

Which team is indeed?

I was agreeing with your first sentence. State of origin... No idea. I don't follow it, it's played across the border.

Thought you were Australian.
  • Christine_72

You hear what now?

no

Which team is indeed?

That I am. I'm in south Australia. They play Rugby in New South Wales/Sydney and Victoria/Melbourne. We don't have any horses in that race.

• ncboiler89

You hear what now?

no

Which team is indeed?

That I am. I'm in south Australia. They play Rugby in New South Wales/Sydney and Victoria/Melbourne. We don't have any horses in that race.

You would think that a country that small that you would all be on the same page.