Pork tenderloin, a good alternative to chicken?

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Yeah I'm playing I know it's about mammals vs poultry

I vote that pigs are poultry...cos bacon

Hell, pigs are salad because bacon.

salad_zpsace3a4dc.jpg
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    Australia's health department recommends a maximum of 455 grams of lean red meat per week for adults.

http://www.eatforhealth.gov.au/sites/default/files/files/the_guidelines/n55g_adult_brochure.pdf

yikes! I have steak a couple times a week, and they're definitely not lean or lightweight..
    But pork isn't red meat

It's white

On this I am pretty sure ...cos colours

plus, the slogan is:

"Pork, the other white meat"

Am most cofussdeded right now!

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Pork is white meat to me. Pork like chicken has a massive risk of food poisoning if not cooked properly. Unlike beef and lamb which you can pretty much eat still mooing if you so chose.

As for red meat. It is unfortunately recommended that you only eat it a couple of times a week. Think it's because of the fat content, risk of heart disease yadda yadda. Think it's blamed for a lot of bowel cancer too.

Alas I don't listen to any of that. I'd nom a steak down every day if I could afford it, which I can't. More the pity.

Pork tenderloin though... Ooooft yes!

We eat raw pork here, it's called Mett. It has a significant lower risk than chicken. But, I agree, in America I wouldn't eat it raw.
    Also the risks (salmonella, etc. vs trichinosis) are for quite different outcomes.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    We don't have that slogan

I'm pretty sure that jewish people call pork "white meat"

Oh and I love Aussie Rules ...
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Australia's health department recommends a maximum of 455 grams of lean red meat per week for adults.

http://www.eatforhealth.gov.au/sites/default/files/files/the_guidelines/n55g_adult_brochure.pdf

yikes! I have steak a couple times a week, and they're definitely not lean or lightweight..
    But pork isn't red meat

It's white

On this I am pretty sure ...cos colours

plus, the slogan is:

"Pork, the other white meat"

Am most cofussdeded right now!

Hahaha, yep, I had to read further at the link to see that yes, pork is classed as a red meat.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

:heart: :+1:
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited June 2015
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Pork is great :)
    cv90lvr6cezk.jpg

I agree, pork is great.

But I wouldn't eat that. It looks underdone. Too pink. Could be very nasty.

Pork is best pink.
    This is from the U.S. government:
    http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-05-24/health/chi-usda-changes-guidelines-for-cooking-pork-20110524_1_cooking-pork-pork-chops-national-pork-board
    Our consumer research has consistently shown that Americans have a tendency to overcook common cuts of pork, resulting in a less-than-optimal eating experience,” said Pamela Johnson, director of consumer communications for the National Pork Board. “The new guidelines will help consumers enjoy pork at its most flavorful, juicy – and safe – temperature.”
    "I think it’s great. It’s a long time coming, especially as the quality of pork – particularly heirloom pork – continues to improve.
    The original reasons for cooking pork to a higher temperature (namely trichinosis) are no longer much of a problem these days," he said.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    edited June 2015
    We don't have that slogan

I'm pretty sure that jewish people call pork "white meat"

Mostly only in Israel, afaik. We (Jewish Mex/American) tend to call it just pork or, as my Bobelé would call it, "Tref" - unfit to eat. Not that I listen to that.

Mett is delicious... And red.

mett_max.jpg

SHINY AND CHROME!

• EvgeniZyntx
    Is tuna red meat ?

What about duck?

Ducks float...
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Is tuna red meat ?

What about duck?

Ducks float...

That means ducks are witches right??
  • Sued0nim
    Burn 'em, burn 'em

Then serve them with plum sauce and pancakes
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Burn 'em, burn 'em

Burn em at the steak! Or stake or whatever. Steak would be better. Duck Witch Steak. Yes!

*I have officially lost the plot*
  • Sued0nim
    Burn 'em, burn 'em

Burn em at the steak! Or stake or whatever. Steak would be better. Duck Witch Steak. Yes!

*I have officially lost the plot*

Coffee-and-Breakfast.png
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    I think I'll go to the King Sooper tomorrow and pick up a nice smoked butt.

that is really nice fried with onion in eggs
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited June 2015
    I eat pork tenderloins 2-3 times a week. I cube it and add it to a veggie mix, with brown rice and scrambled eggs. One of my current favorite meals :) And then I have beef steak 2 times a week, one cubed and mixed with veggies and then on Sundays we have steaks on the grill. So I guess I'm overeating red meat. The horror :p
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    I grill pork loin a lot. That and chicken breast are my go-tos during the day with more beefy stuff in the evening. I've never found any that is leaner than chicken breast, though.

It makes me sad that people overcook pork. It doesn't have to be cooked until it's gray; pink is fine.

As between having red meat two times or less per week or colon cancer, I'd choose cancer.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Mellouk89 wrote: »
    So I live in Canada and chicken is very expensive while pork is significantly less expensive. I'm just wondering if it's safe to eat pork everyday?

I hear you should only eat red meat twice a week, but in the context of a mostly plant-based diet is it safe?

Pork is a little higher in calories than poultry, but that is the only real issue between the two. I rotate between pork, chicken, and beef regularly with an occasional meatless dish thrown in. I watch the sales and buy any of the three when I see a good price and either cook it up or put it in the freezer. I generally get center cut pork chops, a loin roast, or a tenderloin. All are versatile cuts of meat, especially for the various crockpot recipes I have.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2015
    I've seen pork classified as white meat and as red meat. And we also have the health warning about eating too much red meat. Lumping together saturated fat and trans fat, colesterol, nitrate/nitrite/sodium, charring, ultra processed foods, additives... No wonder we are confused. I live in Norway.

The only problem I see from eating pork every day, has to be that it could create too little variety, it can be boring, and maybe not provide the optimal nutrient spectrum.

Do not undercook pork and poultry! Bacteria loves pork and poultry, but will be killed when the meat is no longer pink.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Do not undercook pork and poultry! Bacteria loves pork and poultry, but will be killed when the meat is no longer pink.
    Pink pork isn't undercooked, though.