WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2015

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,100 Member
    Becca-that is such a cute truck! I remember seeing one in a movie.

Fitchriis- MFP doesn't like it if you don't eat at least 1200 calories. I don't think it scolds us if we go over. I don't remember...

Mary from Minnesota
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    @terri_mom ahhh...Don't admire me, I am just an Oregonian... That reminds me once in California, while waiting for my son to get done with an orthodontists appt. the assistant up at the front desk asked me what nationality I was, (because I was so tan). I panicked and said... "Lutheran!"......we both laughed and that one!
    I think the only thing I wish to express to you all about becoming a nudist about 13 yrs ago, is that I have truely accepted myself. In all my glorious flaws! I stand in front of my mirror at home and take in what I see. I remember one of my TOPS friends in California, when we lived there, she couldn't and WOULDNT look in a mirror at herself. That is part of this whole process we are in. To accept ourselves even BEFORE I lost that first pound.
    We are amazing machines!
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,040 Member
    Just came in from working in the garden. I got directions on how to root the cuttings of the forty year old red rose from my mom's. I won't know for a couple of weeks if they take hold. She said the way to keep the light soil moist is to put a plugged clay pot in the soil and fill it with water. I couldn't find a plug, so I wrapped the bottom in plastic wrap. There is a rooting compound you put on the cuttings to help them to root.

I also got back some of my pictures I am having preserved. I dropped off my dad's metal to have it framed too. I got the same woman who helped me get the daffodils framed. I think she is going to to an outstanding job.

I think going through and preserving these pieces is my way of coping with the sale of our family home. It is time to let many things go and decide on what needs to be preserved.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    @fanncy0626 It is!!!! I think its so cool that people are recognizing him at Oak Harbor on Widbey Island....plus when he does the parade, he will be noticed all over town. He is shy so that fact that he has these unusual cars is his way of intergrating into society on his terms you know?
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,100 Member
    MNMargaret - your picture did look great and so should your Dad's medal. It is nice to have items that will bring back memories! You will have to post a picture when you get it back.

Mary from Minnesota
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    fitchriis wrote: »
    The absolute worst was when I weighed 300+ and the never-heavies would say, "You have such a pretty face!" I would have cheerfully committed the worst mayhem, but you know, I had that whole "jolly" reputation to keep up. Oooh, more buried rage there than I remembered. Time to go take a shower and relax...

Best to all...
    Lisa from West Texas

Hi Lisa

I'm curious, why were you upset that people told you you were pretty? I've done that myself in the past so I really would like to get your take on this.
    Chrissy

[/quote]

Chrissy, they weren't saying I was pretty, they were saying I had a pretty FACE... its a very American, or possibly Southern way of saying, "if you would only lose some weight..., perhaps you'd actually be attractive." Similar to when someone says they want you to meet someone with a " terrific personality," it means that person is ugly as all get out.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Hi, everybody. Welcome newbies. Took the weekend off from the thread ( but I DID log food, yay, me) and faced 258 posts tonight!!!! Notes are sparse; need to get to bed soon. Nothing but 90's on the ten day forecast with high humidity, dangerous heat.

DD and I saw the movie "Spy"..........very pleasant surprise, one of the girls from "Call The Midwife"..PBS, has a major part. Funny, silly movie, lots of laughs. Saw previews for a new Meryl Streep......."Ricky and the.......?something......sorry, can't remember, but her daughter is in it too and it looks good.....cried from the previews alone.

Pat........Beautiful lush clematis!

Lisa........Great pic!!! Congrats!

mom216........YAY!!!!! Kudos to you!

Cheri........Looking fabulous!

Jules..........My DH snores too, although not as loud (usually) as he used to. I've been known to sleep elsewhere to get away from it too. Plus I hate the mattress, I get bounced every time he moves. I'll have a spare bedroom bed when DD leaves mid-Aug.

Katla........So sorry you didn't get your riding lesson; I know how much you treasure them.

Carol.........Super cute pic of the Pom and Spaniel!!!

Dee Dee.......Noel gets cuter and cuter! She looks like she runs the household.......and very well!

Lisa......Are you doing the flags? Animika from India stops by now and then.

Poop.........Finally we can have an answer.........Do blondes have more fun????????? Cracked up over your bi comment!

Heather........If possible, your DGC get more and more adorable; loved the shoes!

Penny......That pic is beyond words gorgeous!!!!!!! I'd like it there......haddock is my all time fav. fish!

Hello to everyone I missed!
    G'nite, heading to bed.
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic

• JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    @lisa - invitation? All and sundry are welcome. :)
    Here's the front door
    forums.compuserve.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?webtag=ws-books&=
    though I've also emailed you, since an email is prolly a lot easier to find than a specific message here.
    And yeah, about exercise. Problem is, both walking and jogging hurt, just in different places. <sigh>
    Have you tried those thundershirts for dogs? I don't remember their real name, but they're sorta compression shirts that supposedly make dogs feel held and safer.
    Let us know how the flatbread comes out.

@Panici9 - I'm sorry you're struggling to be proud of your accomplishments. They're worth it. <backpats>

@csofied -- Just look at your fine self! Congratulations!

@Sylvia - I figure it never hurts to look to see if something exists. And my Google-fu is good. ;-)
    And yeah, my guess would be that your now-scarce heavy friends look at you and reproach themselves.
    Sorry you're having a dizzy day, but glad you're getting quiet time.

@fitchriis - Ambitious goals! So far I'm doing well to get in walks most days.

@Katla - I haven't read Whiskey Beach, but do like The Witness. Fire doesn't bother me. I loved the book about tracking dogs.
    I haven't read your story, either, and was glad to hear it.

@Janet in SC - I, alas, don't fit into my high-school earrings. The dang holes have grown together. I need to get re-bored.

@Heather - congrats on the 300 difficult words.
    And Huzza for your husband, and his delight in your mobility.

@photomom - Nice to meet another Outlander fan. I've been reading Diana Gabaldon's books since Outlander was a work in progress titled Cross Stitch (which did get used as its UK title). :-D
    I'd bet Sam Heughan would love to hear about your response to his challenge. It's the sort of thing that would bring a grin to anyone's face.
    If you want, I could pass it on via Diana.
    It sounds like you've been doing really well on your own. Now you have a cheering section. :)

@DrKatie - "It is great that we can come here and be surrounded by like-minded people so that we don't have to bore our friends/spouses/families who aren't as in to it as we are."
    Amen, sister!

@SSC - Hmmm, about the fats. My new best guess is that the subcategories listed are those considered worst for us, and the rest of the fats are more benign.

@Allison - good for you, pointing out how hard you work at getting your list together and getting just what's on it. And good for him, for calming when faced with the facts. Or would he rather put together the list and do the shopping?

@Nancy - sometimes the scale doesn't budge for weeks. Bodies are weird that way. You get a gold star for determination. :)
    I'm very curious - what is this DNA test?
    I like "60 by 60". :)
    And damn' skippy you should feel really good about your new healthy lifestyle! Don't just allow yourself - exult in it. Roll, wriggle and jump in the joy.

@mom216 - YAAAAAY! I am so impressed! I've driven across the great, gray-green, greasy limpoPotomac*, but never walked it. Damn, you *are* good!
    *A name I gave it when I was a kid and it stank so bad in the summer that we rolled up the car windows near the Potomac in the high and far-off days before cars (or at least any I saw) had air conditioning.

@KateKyi - your description of your difficulty with food makes me respect you even more for taking control.
    Do you drink coffee or tea? You can count those as "water". Same with diet sodas. Would it help if the water's fizzy? Winn-Dixie has its own brand of fizzy water.

@peep - When I'm on the laptop, I've taken to reading this board with the browser taking 2/3 of the screen and Notepad on the other third.
    Oh, I LOVE that pic of you and Kirby together.

@Vicki - Yup, new day, new week. Glad church worked for you. :)

@GRITS - that kitchen cabinet sounds wonderful.

@Kathyrain - yay for y'all, indeed! Well done!

@Lillian - Larry and I have both read most of the Game of Thrones books but didn't make it through the first episode of the show. And Larry's one who likes war movies.

@Michele in NC - I wasn't joking about getting lost in bed. Granted, I was about 3 years old. I heard someone coming to make the bed and hid under the covers at the foot. (When you're 3, you can do that.) The bedmaker played along and made the bed around me. Everywhere I tried, the sheet and blanket were tucked in tight. Finally, finally, I made it out into the open end.

I stopped in here after work. Need to get home and get to bed.

JanetM, New Orleans
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Have a monstrous headache tonight so not writing much. First and foremost welcome to all the new people that have joined us today...Su, Pamici, fitchriis, photomom, Jetra and rorhoda. Come as often as you can. Just jump in where you can. Tell us a little about yourselves.

Penny, that picture is breathtaking.

Janet, Myrtle Beach, did you get a picture for me while you were at the beach???? Or am I just going to have to be satisfied with Penny's picture?

csoflad, congrats on conquering that mirror. And you do look great. I also love that chandelier!

mary Minnesota, I just looked at the CPAP and it is a Res-med. I have no idea how old it is, maybe 7 years old?

JanetN, my youngest daughter was visiting some one in Cincinnati, Ohio and then needed to go to my brother's house which is RIGHT across the Ohio river in Kentucky. She crossed that bridge back and forth for a total of 4 times before she could find the exit to his house. My husband and i sometimes just take a road and sees where it leads to.

I sat next to a new lady in Sunday School this morning that was wearing some really strong perfume or powder and although I have never had any allergies to anything, I really had to hold back no sneezing. And then right before our trio got up to the podium to start our song the urge to sneeze came back. But when I sneeze I just don't sneeze once, it's about 10 times n a row. I guess God got me through it because I didn't sneeze any until I was seated after we sang. But I couldn't hardly stop it then. You know sometimes you try to hold it when you are somewhere in public and you sneeze with your mouth closed. But once I got in the car to go home I really let it out. I have been doing it all evening also. Have this monstrous headache with it. Today in church would not have been a good day for a visitor. Our pastor and his wife and family are gone for a week, he, his wife and daughter are in our choir and we only have on a good day 15 members. Our choir director likes to keep some easy peasy songs worked up for days like today. And one of our deacons elders to some of you, 'preached'. Would not have been a good day for a visitor.

I'm going to try to post a picture or two. This is me when I was much younger. I really mean much younger.
  • jmkmomm
    Have a monstrous headache tonight so not writing much. First and foremost welcome to all the new people that have joined us today...Su, Pamici, fitchriis, photomom, Jetra and rorhoda. Come as often as you can. Just jump in where you can. Tell us a little about yourselves.

Janet, Myrtle Beach, did you get a picture for me while you were at the beach???? Or am I just going to have to be satisfied with Penny's picture?

csoflad, congrats on conquering that mirror. And you do look great. I also love that chandelier!

mary Minnesota, I just looked at the CPAP and it is a Res-med. I have no idea how old it is, maybe 7 years old?

JanetN, my youngest daughter was visiting some one in Cincinnati, Ohio and then needed to go to my brother's house which is RIGHT across the Ohio river in Kentucky. She crossed that bridge back and forth for a total of 4 times before she could find the exit to his house. My husband and i sometimes just take a road and sees where it leads to.

I sat next to a new lady in Sunday School this morning that was wearing some really strong perfume or powder and although I have never had any allergies to anything, I really had to hold back no sneezing. And then right before our trio got up to the podium to start our song the urge to sneeze came back. But when I sneeze I just don't sneeze once, it's about 10 times n a row. I guess God got me through it because I didn't sneeze any until I was seated after we sang. But I couldn't hardly stop it then. You know sometimes you try to hold it when you are somewhere in public and you sneeze with your mouth closed. But once I got in the car to go home I really let it out. I have been doing it all evening also. Have this monstrous headache with it. Today in church would not have been a good day for a visitor. Our pastor and his wife and family are gone for a week, he, his wife and daughter are in our choir and we only have on a good day 15 members. Our choir director likes to keep some easy peasy songs worked up for days like today. And one of our deacons elders to some of you, 'preached'. Would not have been a good day for a visitor.

I'm going to try to post a picture or two. This is me when I was much younger. I really mean much younger.
  • jmkmomm
    edited June 2015
    o9qrkjgfevfh.jpg

I'm going to try to post a picture or two. This is me when I was much younger. Picture at the top was taken off of a video. It is around March, 2011

8gb3r4ds3b02.jpg
    168.JPG 1019.7K
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Here we go . I am finally caught up (again).

Alison - Your D.H. asking about how many jars of jam you have left reminded me of mine when I used to bake Saskatoon pies by the dozens.

Peach state gal - I love Springer , they are gorgeous (I miss our cookie eating , Abbie). Such a cute photo.

Lillian - A whole year on here is such an accomplishment. You are an inspiration.

Terri - Your D.S. must be so happy and proud to be selected for the All Star team and you must be such a proud Mama Bear.

Nancy - 6.2 lbs in 9 days ? I would be ecstatic.

RenNY - It sounds like your staycation is just what the doctor ordered

Lisa - The international thing appeals to me. We are like a sisterhood whose love and support circles the globe.

Cheri - Great NSV. Better keep that man , he sounds terrific.

MN Margaret - Rooting for your Rose to root.

Still crazy at work. I find as I get older that my tolerance for b.s. and laziness , etc has become almost nonexistent.

Good weekend. Enjoyed supper in Grassy Lake. Seeing an ex coworker was fun. We spent a few hrs together and I was reminded how much I genuinely like her.
  • KateKyi
    KateKyi Posts: 106 Member
    @ssc1958 thanks for the recipe Im going to try it today less the garlic. I really dont like garlic.
    @lilymay2 thanks for the reminder. GoT will have recorded and I have it to watch later.
    @Nancy I am glad I could put some perspective on your friend. I hope one day he takes control.
    Monday - the start of a fresh new week. Im feeling good and the sunshine is here, at least this morning it is, lets hope it stays. Got my 30 day yoga start today looking forward to trying, made a large space incase I fall over. Ill do that this morning. 6pm will be bike riding, if it rains Ill still be out there. Going to make sure I make time for some more tatting. I am teaching myself to needle tat. I have taught myself to crochet. I always knitted as a child and I loved to embroider. Havent really taken up embroidery since the depression hit, maybe one day but not yet.
    Have a beautiful Monday ladies.
    Kate
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    fitchriis wrote: »
    The absolute worst was when I weighed 300+ and the never-heavies would say, "You have such a pretty face!"
    Best to all...
    Lisa from West Texas

Hi Lisa
    I'm curious, why were you upset that people told you you were pretty? I've done that myself in the past so I really would like to get your take on this.
    Chrissy

Chrissy, they weren't saying I was pretty, they were saying I had a pretty FACE... its a very American, or possibly Southern way of saying, "if you would only lose some weight..., perhaps you'd actually be attractive." Similar to when someone says they want you to meet someone with a " terrific personality," it means that person is ugly as all get out.

But Lisa, you DO have a pretty face. I see what you're saying about that being a veiled insult in Southern parlance, but not being a Southerner, I can plead innocent. I hope it's okay to say someone has a pretty face if that's ALL you can see of them. Because this thread is chock-full of pretty faces – backed up with a lot of guts and determination.

There's been some discussion of what to do about loose skin. Surgery? Yoga pants? "Turn into my mother?" Several people have complained about how inconvenient it is to wear long sleeves when it's hot out. Hey, anybody want to switch places, because I have the opposite problem.

I am blessed with one truly good feature: slender ankles. (I inherited them from my mother, who still has gorgeous legs at 90 years of age.) So what do I do with them? Cover them up against the cold, of course! Thick socks, long underwear, ski pants, thermal boots, topped off with a snowmobile overall. Let's just say I jump at every chance to wear fancy shoes and sheer stockings.

After a couple days of solid rain and mid 40's it is now sunny and 60-ish. I'll go work in my garden for a while, then hit the jogging trail!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,187 Member
    Lisa - I know my tastes are a bit strange, but I have found that it is BECAUSE I am obsessed with food that I have found losing weight easier. I want everything to taste delicious, not be processed pap all fatty and sugared up. Ugh! Every day as I am having my dinner I think, how much would I pay for this in a nice restaurant? :laugh: Often I can say I wouldn't blench at £19 - £25 . :drinker: ($25 -$35) And that's just the main course! :laugh: Seeing food as your enemy does not seem to me the way to go. We just have to learn to like better food. It is our modern society that is corrupting our taste buds with their cheap, profit making ****.
    I am having my last portion of Nettle Soup for lunch. :laugh: For dinner we are having Chicken and Spinach curry. With a tomato salad and a yoghurt salad.
    Of course I am retired and have a lot more time to fiddle about in the kitchen. If I was working I would have to plan and do a lot more batch cooking. Leaving things to the last minute, skimping on meals and trying to deny yourself usually ends in trouble. If you fail to plan you plan to fail. :laugh:

Annr- when I was younger and going through a short phase of having a slim body I nearly always went topless, virtually anywhere in Europe, including Scotland! Many secluded places you could take all your clothes off, so I did. When we lived in Whitstable, Kent, there was a bit of coast at the end of a long footpath that looked as if it would be the perfect place for nude sunbathing. There were big notices up saying, NUDE SUNBATHING IS NOT CONDONED. :noway: That used to make me laugh every time I walked by. What on earth is that supposed to mean? ! ! ! Someone at the council got their dictionary out! :laugh:

Joyce - thanks for those great photos of you! You certainly have lost some weight since 2011! WTG! :flowerforyou:

Love you all ladies. My rental is being valued today. :ohwell:

Heather UK

27681614.png
  • suerontur3
    suerontur3 Posts: 18 Member
    My scale will not budge. Joined MFP June 4th. Have calories left over every day, minimal exercise. Watching my carb intake. I drink alcohol very little. Drinking a lean protein shake! WHAT GIVES! Help, please offer some advice!
  • metallaxi
    metallaxi Posts: 17 Member
    Due to the time difference here is now Monday afternoon. I completed my first week and I observe some cheating, so I revise my goals for June
    - avoid cheating
    - record all my food and exercise in detail
    - make sure that the one pound I lost in the first week is real
    - exercise every day, 1 hour walking and 1/2 hour weight training

All have a nice week
    Regards from sunny hot greek islands
  • lhannon062709
    edited June 2015
    Ah, Heather - I knew you'd be on that side of things, and a perfectly valid side it is... And that's what I'm saying--it genuinely is such an individual accommodation we must get to in order to deal with food. And I run a full gamut on my attitudes--during the day, I simply want the fuel that gets me from point A to point B. But my dinnertime needs run to spice, as well--not heat, but spice, especially horseradish lately for some odd reason.

What they're finding out now in the medical literature, and I follow the studies closely, is that obesity as a condition changes the body and changes the brain. Hmmm, I haven't gone into just a ton of my history here, but here's the capsule version--my father was an abuser. Most of this is hindsight and a lot of work with shrinks, I certainly wasn't aware of it at the time. I probably put on my fat suit originally to keep myself safe from him--and probably married my ex because he was utterly uninterested in sex, therefore quite safe, as well. Sorry, I'm sure that's TMI. But by putting ON the fat suit, I literally changed the way my brain wants food in ways they're just recognizing.

Essentially, for most of the obese, food begets more food--the more we eat, the more we want... we already know that about sugar. For most of the overweight, it seems to work that way with ALL food. Food does not satiate, it generates appetite. And exercise, for the ones where obesity has changed your brain chemistry, ALSO begets more appetite for food. I was one of the "fit fat," and worked out four or five days a week, even when I was up over a couple hundred pounds. It always made me feel better--but I always knew they were wrong when they said it should diminish my appetite. It always made ME hungrier.

It is... by the way, one of the things they're still not quite sure about the gastric bypass. The appetite signals are cut off IMMEDIATELY when the gastric bypass is performed. Prior to ever being able to actually fill the little pouch they create from the top of the stomach. However, they come back after anywhere from six months to a year for most people. It was six months almost to the day for me--and the first time in my adult life that I had not been hungry. EVER. Every waking moment was spent in hunger prior to that, and I hadn't even known until it was finally gone. And when it came back... I mourned for weeks.

I could go on forever... what I'm trying to say is that we are not crazy--we are dealing with something where we're often discounted as being lazy or undisciplined, when in reality, we're dealing with something systemic and basic to our body chemistry.

I totally agree with you, Heather, that food should not be demonized if at all possible--but it's an individual mental adjustment we must each reach, like Barbie's friend, to be able to deal with how our bodies react to the fuel they have to have to survive.

smiley-signs101.gif

Pardon me now, while I climb down off my soapbox. :blush:

And... the flags, with India inserted and Italy (both for Italy the person, and Italy just in case! lol!)

5xjilsw12wub.jpg

• lhannon062709
    edited June 2015
    Ah... and Penny, thank you very much for saying I do have a pretty face! At 300+ pounds, no compliment was taken seriously. I hated my weight, myself and gravity... especially gravity.

But now, at this age, and at this weight, I roll around in em... :smiley:

Heather - much good luck on the rental.

@suerontur3 - welcome, and until I bumped my calories up recently, between 1200 and 1400 daily, I was stuck too... sometimes your body just doesn't want to let go. You may not love your chub, but your body thinks you're in a famine and may need it to survive! Hang in there, change up your exercise routine, quit looking at the scale, take your measurements... All these things are things other people have said to me, and that you'll say to someone else. It's horribly frustrating, we all know, and we all come here to vent. Welcome!

@jmkmomm - SO well done.... you look amazing!

Welcome to all the newbies... :) We're glad you're here!

Warmest Regards,
    Lisa from West Texas
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Have a great week ladies. My weekend was uneventful. Looking forward to the gym this week. I am also starting a 90 day challenge with a low carb diet. http://authoritynutrition.com/how-many-carbs-per-day-to-lose-weight/
    Hope to get rid of several inches of the stubborn waist fat. Have a great week.
    Patsy
    Lutz Fl