Is 'whilst' the most overused word in these forums?

Replies

• minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    "lbs" or pounds drives me bonkers! The amount of brain activity that goes on here whilst I do mental acrobatics to convert it to kilograms...I should log it as an exercise and get credit for it.

Also, calories. Calories bloody calories. I think I am the only person here who uses kilojoules.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    minties82 wrote: »
    "lbs" or pounds drives me bonkers! The amount of brain activity that goes on here whilst I do mental acrobatics to convert it to kilograms...I should log it as an exercise and get credit for it.

Also, calories. Calories bloody calories. I think I am the only person here who uses kilojoules.

yeah the lbs and miles thing can be mentally draining lol

I'm an Aussie and have never used kilojoules, it's always been calories.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    minties82 wrote: »

yeah the lbs and miles thing can be mentally draining lol

I'm an Aussie and have never used kilojoules, it's always been calories.

Yup, I'm a calorie girl too, though I'm pretty good with lbs, inches and miles if I have to be. But metric makes way more sense.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited June 2015
    adamklug73 wrote: »
    Yes?

With the greatest of respect I think there are more pressing issues to worry about on this forum rather than the common usage of the word "whilst".

I hear what you say though.

G276oGT.png
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    msf74 wrote: »
    adamklug73 wrote: »
    Yes?

With the greatest of respect I think there are more pressing issues to worry about on this forum rather than the common usage of the word "whilst".

I hear what you say though.

G276oGT.png

LOL .. so true
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I'm British

And a pedant

And mean

.. it is the perfect combination for foruming

Should "and" ever start with a capital letter ?

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/while-and-whilst "While and whilst mean the same when we use them as conjunctions. They both mean ‘during the time that something else happens’, or ‘in contrast with something else’. While is much more common than whilst, and whilst sounds more formal"
  • Sued0nim
    yarwell wrote: »

I'm British

And a pedant

And mean

Yes, because there is no reason not to start a sentence with a conjunction. Admittedly I forgot my fullstops (periods to you Americans) but it's the internet and that happens a lot ... I had one too few dots in my ellipsis too
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member

I'm British

And a pedant

And mean

Yes, because there is no reason not to start a sentence with a conjunction. Admittedly I forgot my fullstops (periods to you Americans) but it's the internet and that happens a lot ... I had one too few dots in my ellipsis too

e6657229f8aa6494737b4d3a037c6e.jpg
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    So let me clarify... The correct use of the English language annoys people that aren't actually English?

Mind... Blown.

Exactly, the thread and the OP are just rather bizarre.
  • Sued0nim

I'm British

And a pedant

And mean

Snort
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member

I'm British

And a pedant

And mean

Pahahahahaha!
  • AdelaideNat
    AdelaideNat Posts: 89 Member
    It's commonly used in Australia as well but then again, it is part of the Commonwealth ;-)
  • girldownsouth
    girldownsouth Posts: 920 Member
    and it's a very rare Brit that would misspell "Lose" IMO (... oo you didn't .. yup I did)

My fb friends list must be full of very rare Brits :/

Although I do think weigh/weight is a less common error here.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    most over used words on mfp..

is this bad…?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    My bff is a Brit and speaks the Queen's English - accent and all. I've known her for 20 years now, and it *still* cracks me up when she uses the F-bomb on a rare occasion.

It sounds like her Majesty going all commoner. B)

• gonettie2015
    gonettie2015 Posts: 52 Member
    chips, crisps, fries...
    jelly, jello, jam, gelatin? all so confusing!
  • AdamImadA
    AdamImadA Posts: 74 Member
    My bff is a Brit and speaks the Queen's English - accent and all. I've known her for 20 years now, and it *still* cracks me up when she uses the F-bomb on a rare occasion.

It sounds like her Majesty going all commoner. B)

Yes! My wife only tolerates swearing if it's done with a British or Audie accent.
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    I like the word 'journey' people use here. I makes me think of the traveling people do in movies.
    They go from one land to another and sometimes on a mountain top, stopping in different villages to exchange tales and fight dragons.
    That's why I like it.
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    edited June 2015
    I dont like the word 'lose' because according English rules it should be pronounced with a long 'O' otherwise it should be spelled luse or luze.
    This is why I like math. It makes sense.