TIL - Today I Learned...

Replies

• Carpedieznutz
    Carpedieznutz Posts: 1,166 Member
    TIL that the word escalate comes from the word escalator, not the other way around.
  • spookyface
    spookyface Posts: 420 Member
    Short workout with 1 lb weights is easy peasy.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    edited June 2015
    TIL... well ok, it's not something I learned, but it is something that I re-learned...

As "adults" we have endured a lot of pain in our lives. So much so that sometimes, when our kids come to us with their pain, we tend to compare it to ours, and treat it according to our pain scale.

For example: I'm in the middle of a divorce, relationship difficulties, financial issues... there's a lot of stress and my pain is high... on a scale of one to ten... right now I feel like I'm about an 8. My 9 year old comes home crying because her best friend didn't want to play with her, and was mean to her. I think... that friend is an idiot. Find another friend. I treat that pain like it's a 5. But to her... to my little girl... she's at a TEN.

If I don't empathize with her TEN... I shut her down and hurt her, adding to her pain. Last night, I was reminded that I need to understand the other person's pain scale, and support accordingly. Last night, I felt my girlfriend's daughter's TEN like it was a ten for me, and I believe we talked her down to an 8. In the process... we may have saved her life. She really really needed to have her ten recognized.

TLDR: Recognize the TEN.
  • kalegria24
    kalegria24 Posts: 34 Member
    bump...
  • FromAshes2Beast
    FromAshes2Beast Posts: 114 Member
    edited June 2015
    TIL that 200 sit-ups in one workout session leaves you with less skin on your *kitten* :grumble:
  • TuffGong21
    TuffGong21 Posts: 251 Member
    TIL that after 5 cloudy days in a row, the sun does still exist
  • determined_ella
    determined_ella Posts: 4,354 Member
    TIL that I'm stronger than I thought :joy:
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Running is a lot easier when you're not carrying 30+ extra pounds of fat.
  • FromAshes2Beast
    It was actually the other day BUT I learned immediately not to try leg raises with a 10lb medicine ball. Thank you cat-like reflexes.
  • justinegibbons
    justinegibbons Posts: 918 Member
    TIL that groundhogs fight each other.. And it was INTENSE
  • laurabethless
    laurabethless Posts: 1,397 Member
    TIL the correct cycling route!
  • TrailBlazinMN
    TrailBlazinMN Posts: 209 Member
    TIL that dragonflies have their own version of Running of the Bulls but with humans
  • BaconBae
    BaconBae Posts: 4,568 Member
    TIL some guys do tell the truth regarding their height on dating profiles
  • Fitnessflexibility
    Fitnessflexibility Posts: 795 Member
    Today I learned that I hate not having someone to talk to
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    TIL that building a power rack for my basement may be in my near future... thanks @BadAssBeast76
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 819 Member
    TIL That my computer cannot open adobe documents any more. Learned this after IT had left for the day.

I also learned that if I keep going on walks at lunch I need to bring a full set of clothes to change into, so I don't have to sit around sweaty at work. (oh and I need to buy some moisture wicking clothes)
  • FromAshes2Beast
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    TIL that building a power rack for my basement may be in my near future... thanks @BadAssBeast76

Always my pleasure, sweetheart.

TIL I won't be the only TEAM BADASS member with a power rack :wink: :smiley: