Sardines? The eyes freak me out.

Howdy! Have been reading about the perks of sardines. When I was little and didn't know what I was eating, I would down a sardine or two with my daddy. I am out of practice. Way outta practice. How do I get over eating a head and eyeballs? Do they sell headless sardines, get out a knife or just throw em back the way they come? Help and thanks.

Replies

• brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    I'm in for some good recipes. I have them in my pantry, hearing how healthy they are, but like you, I'm not sure about them.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I used to eat them straight out of the can until one day...I had one in my mouth, and just couldn't anymore. I don't think mine had the heads on. What's the big deal? Eat it or cut it off.
  • cristydaisylove
    cristydaisylove Posts: 22 Member
    I guess I'm like the dad in the movie The Christmas Story when they bring the duck to the table and he says "he's...ummm...smiling at me."
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I guess I'm like the dad in the movie The Christmas Story when they bring the duck to the table and he says "he's...ummm...smiling at me."

Love that movie.

Honestly I didn't think the canned sardines had the heads on still. Now I can't remember.
  • JuliannaEP
    JuliannaEP Posts: 53 Member
    I chop them into salads. Don't notice the head of it's all chopped up into a salad. Keep trying, they're so good for you!
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    King Oscar sardines are the best I can get at the local supermarket and they have the heads and guts removed.
  • nguyenlychee
    nguyenlychee Posts: 27 Member
    The ones I get by BRUNSWICK don't have the heads on, so I can't really empathize...

But I do eat fish eyeballs when I order a fish head at a restaurant. Fish eyes are full of nutrients (according to my mother, who knows really?)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I eat a lot of canned sardines, I have yet to see ones with heads. Mostly I eat the skinless boneless right from the can. But I have started eating the regular ones and I just mash them up an you don't notice anything,
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    My sardines have no eyes or heads. Add lemon, pepper, and it is a dip for red peppers and fresh celery! Love the ones in mustard.
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Yes, there are plenty of headless and skinless brands......Google it......if I remember I will go get the brand name off the ones I like tmrw
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    I only eat sardines at Portuguese restaurants, where they're bigger and barbecued, and I don't eat their heads and eyes.
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    buy them in a tin, no head.

get them at a fishmonger and ask the fishmonger to remove the heads/tails
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    I eat the canned ones often and try every different brand I can get my hands on. I've never once seen canned sardines with their heads still on! Fyi: if you can find canned white anchovies, they are so good. Not salty at all, very similar to sardines but smoother and a bit less grizzly.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I buy the canned ones (and kippered herring). I chop them up and pour them, and the oil over my salad.

• cristydaisylove
    Hey!!! I tried them and I liked them!!! Thank y'all for your support and great ideas. I got the King Oscar kind in olive oil. They only had tails, so I was good - no eyes looking at me. :) I'm gonna try to do them once a week. Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated. Y'all have a terrific week and thanks!
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    The sardines I buy have no heads. Ugh :D
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    These are the kind I get
    Fish_Da_Morgada_Sardines_12.jpg
    headless, skinless, boneless.
  • cristydaisylove
    Those look yummy. Where do you buy them?
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    You should be able to find them in a regular grocery store.
  • cristydaisylove
    I'm confused by the brand name by the way it's written. Please help with name. Thanks.