What Does 5.6 oz of Lasagna Look Like????

brph26
brph26 Posts: 207 Member
Hopefully someone can give me some sort of visual for this. I have searched online and have come up with nothing.

I am going to an Italian restaurant this evening, and have decided from their online menu that I will be ordering the lasagna. It's a local place, not a chain, so there is no way of telling the exact amount of calories. I have searched the mfp database and chose a "homemade lasagna that consists of 5.6 ounces" with calories at 398. There were some higher and some lower, so I just aimed toward the middle.

I just want to make sure that when the dish comes out, I can decide what 5.6 oz of it is and then adjust up or down depending upon how much of it I actually eat.

Replies

• Don't know if it helps a lot or not, but I think they say a deck of playing cards is 4oz... so just a little bigger and you'll have your piece of lasagna!
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    smaller than a lean cuisine.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    lasagna is pretty heavy...I'd assume it wouldn't be to large. Have you tried to google it?
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Don't know if it helps a lot or not, but I think they say a deck of playing cards is 4oz... so just a little bigger and you'll have your piece of lasagna!
    That tis correct.
  • Jitteryspork
    Jitteryspork Posts: 550 Member
    Hopefully someone can give me some sort of visual for this. I have searched online and have come up with nothing.

I am going to an Italian restaurant this evening, and have decided from their online menu that I will be ordering the lasagna. It's a local place, not a chain, so there is no way of telling the exact amount of calories. I have searched the mfp database and chose a "homemade lasagna that consists of 5.6 ounces" with calories at 398. There were some higher and some lower, so I just aimed toward the middle.

I just want to make sure that when the dish comes out, I can decide what 5.6 oz of it is and then adjust up or down depending upon how much of it I actually eat.

That is definately going to be a hard one.. because not all lasagna's are stuffed the same... :( I would honestly pick the highest one. You could actually probably ask the server to weigh it for you. I know that might be a bit akward.. but hey.. I am pretty sure they have a scale. :)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    4 oz of chicken is a deck of cards. So I would say a deck and a half of cards.
  • countrymom1
    countrymom1 Posts: 125 Member
    I wonder if they would mind weighing it for you? It doesn't hurt to ask.
  • jamievolner
    jamievolner Posts: 35
    I use a kitchen scale to get my exact amounts and takes all the guess work out of it...much easier for me...but yes, 4 oz is the size of a deck of cards...also a "serving" is about the size of the palm of your hand. Hope this helps.
  • troythegeek
    troythegeek Posts: 47
    That's so hard to judge! Lasagna can weigh drastically different amounts depending upon how many layers, how much meat, etc. I would say that 5.6 oz is a pretty small slice of lasagna. Supposedly, the palm of your hand is supposed to equal 3 oz of cooked meat. Lasagna is layered so I could easily see a slice loaded with cheese, sauce and meat being much more than 5.6 oz.
  • njdebbi
    njdebbi Posts: 10 Member
    I have a food scale. You should get one cause that is the only way to be sure 100%. My lasagna is laden with meet and cheese and really thick, so that would be smaller in size than a thinner mostly chees and sauce version. My best guess would be about 3/4 of a cup. But, food scales are a great investment in yourself. I hope you will find one you love.
  • brph26
    Oh WOW!! I guess I'll be going over my calories today! LOL

Thank you all for your help. It's greatly appreciated! :happy:
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    I'd eat half of what they bring you and take the other half home and weigh and then you'd be close and get a second meal out of it possibly, ..... just a thought???
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member

Not quit getting your problem. You have all of the info you need to make an informed decision about what you are going to eat. Either you can AFFORD all or part of the total calories when you go there. Heck, the lasagna won't be the problem, what about the garlic bread and the "Salad" with all of the dressing, cheese...and sodium. So, if you know you are going to the restaurant and you have 800 Calories in your Budget, decide how much of the Main course you are going to eat and how much of the sides; what about wine and dessert? That's why I hate going out to eat, sometimes you just have to say, "I may go over My Budget tonight," and get back on track tomorrow because there are so many "hidden" calories and the sodium is KILLER.
  • countrymom1
    countrymom1 Posts: 125 Member
    I'd eat half of what they bring you and take the other half home and weigh and then you'd be close and get a second meal out of it possibly, ..... just a thought???

That's a great idea! We should all do that when we go out to eat, anyway. Box up half of it right away.
  • brph26

Not quit getting your problem. You have all of the info you need to make an informed decision about what you are going to eat. Either you can AFFORD all or part of the total calories when you go there. Heck, the lasagna won't be the problem, what about the garlic bread and the "Salad" with all of the dressing, cheese...and sodium. So, if you know you are going to the restaurant and you have 800 Calories in your Budget, decide how much of the Main course you are going to eat and how much of the sides; what about wine and dessert? That's why I hate going out to eat, sometimes you just have to say, "I may go over My Budget tonight," and get back on track tomorrow because there are so many "hidden" calories and the sodium is KILLER.

My problem is trying to convert the piece of lasagna that comes out to me into ounces so that I can make a decent estimate of how many total ounces it actually is so I can log it easier.

I don't mind going over, I just want to try and log everything the best that I can. For me, the lasagna will be the highest calorie food i eat tonight. I might have a salad with vinegar, a small piece of bread and/or a glass of wine, but each of those separately are definitely less cals than the piece of lasagna.
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member

That's a great idea! We should all do that when we go out to eat, anyway. Box up half of it right away.

Thank you, I thought so too, ....well then I'm gonna go home then, ... my one good idea of the day has been used up ....:smile:
  • pcteck2
    pcteck2 Posts: 184 Member

Thank you, I thought so too, ....well then I'm gonna go home then, ... my one good idea of the day has been used up ....:smile:

Haha. I like that!
  • nbauerm
    nbauerm Posts: 1 Member
    @EDesq. So instead of answering the question, you post that you don't understand it and proceed to talk about salad, wine, and dessert in response to a question about lasagna. Congratulations, you win the Biggest *kitten* award.