WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2015

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited June 2015
    Happy Birthday Becca! :heart: :flowerforyou:

Renny: Thanks for the warning about the Farmville scam. :devil: :mad:

Janet: This particular neighbor has very few filters. What comes into her mind comes out of her mouth. :ohwell: She’s the same age as me, and the next breath after saying my skin is wrinkly she said she needs to lose weight. I let it go. :ohwell: As to cartons of ice cream, I buy it by the cone. A whole carton wouldn’t last long in my care unless it was a disgusting flavor. I have much better “won’t power” in the grocery store than in my kitchen. :embarassed:

Pip: You are a rebel at heart who bikes to work in Western WA year round, stays fit, has a great relationship with her DH, loves her dogs... It just doesn’t quit. Naughty, naughty, naughty. :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:

My filter free neighbor sent me a link to a longevity calculator sponsored by an insurance company. I’ll see if I can pass it along. I got age 98. Holy smoke! I'm not sure I like that! (Unless I'm having nonstop fun.) http://media.nmfn.com/tnetwork/lifespan

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Reading these posts are inspiring to me! Haven't been here in awhile -- maybe because I'm way over 50 :-0 -- and it's already middle of June. This month I'm concentrating on (1) eating mindfully not mindlessly; (2) getting at least 30 minutes of exercise 3-4 times a week; (3) only eating when I'm hungry; and (4) only eating till I'm full -- not stuffed. Simple, right? If only simple meant easy. I'm working off some weight gain from salty meals and thinking ahead to mid-August family get-together and a September wedding at which I want to look and feel good.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,877 Member
    smiley-happy110.gif Janetr, I'd love to see your food diary to see the meals you eat that make you feel full and satisfied.....one big reason I love posting on this thread is that there are too many people in my face-to-face life who have criticism, comment, or disinterest in my weight loss journey

smiley-happy110.gif Katla, I tried the longevity calculator and got 102 years...the only time I have ice cream is once a year at the Sequim Lavender Festival when I have some kind of lavender ice cream in a waffle cone.

smiley-happy110.gif lisabinco, Keep coming back....I am a lot more past 50 than you are and so are many women on this thread and we've gained so much by being part of this community.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    :::: lifting up my leg, marking my spot:::::

My goodness.... I leave you people alone for a day and there are 120 posts...Read through some and now I have to go to bed.... work again tomorrow!!

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon - I've never worn a bikini in my life, don't intend to start now, but extra skin or not I look pretty dang good in my one piece suit. Hooray for saggy skin!!!

lisabinco - Good for you and it always helps to have incentives such as family get togethers. You go girl. Way past 50 here too, and loving life!

Barbie from beautiful NW Washington - I had weight loss surgery so have a small "pouch" so that's an advantage. BTW do I now get a "pouch ache" rather than a stomach ache, I wonder? :) I regress. I'm eating the post WLS surgery plan which is a lot of lien protein, very low carbs and low sugar. Have to wait 45-60 min. after eating to drink anything cuz the fluid pushes the food thru the pouch too quickly and you get hungry sooner. So I'm back to following plan much more closely and making sure to get in all my water. I'm daily over protein count on MFP guidelines and under calories sometimes but average day is close to 1000 cal per day.
  • janetr7476
    32jr6x7jrcrf.jpg

This is my before pic. I had gained 15-20 lbs more than in this pic because I could no longer wear the outfit I have on here. After pic is my profile pic.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,618 Member
    Hi Gals,
    OMG I have been gone on vacation and come back to 450+ messages, I was only away 7 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I am not going to even try to catch up, just reading this page and moving forward…

I hope I can figure out everything, I thought of you all regularly, but had no wifi so was out of luck.

I was at my Godson’s (DN – darling nephew) college graduation, what a great event, for all who knew I was a bit dreading this interaction with all, it was perfect! Everyone was so nice to me, and on good behavior, I met my DN’s girl friend, OH what a delight. And I stayed within budget.

I did not log for 7 days, and did not even wear my fitbit, but really watched what I ate and drank… had one grapefruit beer, (weird but good) and a lot of water.. I am in a B&B for my final night – am ½ way home, I will be home mid day tomorrow and will weigh in on Friday (maybe before) and see how much damage I did.

Welcome to the newbies!!! Janice, ….

Becca – did I miss your b-day? Happy belated one!!!

Katla – I got 92, and I bet when I hit my weight goal it will go up, My mom is 86 and going strong…. If I’m still having fun, I don’t mind living a long time, but when the fun is over, put me out of my misery Please!

Carey – congrats on smoke free!

Jane tr – what a great change! Good job!

June goals:
    Walk every day 180 miles for the month (in May I did 175… thought maybe a higher goal would be good)
    NEW – 1 plank every day – and log them here – 10 – missed one just forgot!
    Log everyday
    Eat slower
    do 2 fun things every week - week 1 – no traditional fun – but working hard to get all embroidery jobs done, clean up clutter inside and out, so that my doggy sitter will not have that to deal with, and the house will look nice when I get home.

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • janetr7476
    edited June 2015
    Kim from N. California - Thanks, Kim, I'm off of all meds and feel so much better. Drive carefully on the last half or your trip. Sounds as if you enjoyed yourself.
  • blueskydiver408
    blueskydiver408 Posts: 6 Member
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,
    OMG I have been gone on vacation and come back to 450+ messages, I was only away 7 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I am not going to even try to catch up, just reading this page and moving forward…

I hope I can figure out everything, I thought of you all regularly, but had no wifi so was out of luck.

I was at my Godson’s (DN – darling nephew) college graduation, what a great event, for all who knew I was a bit dreading this interaction with all, it was perfect! Everyone was so nice to me, and on good behavior, I met my DN’s girl friend, OH what a delight. And I stayed within budget.

I did not log for 7 days, and did not even wear my fitbit, but really watched what I ate and drank… had one grapefruit beer, (weird but good) and a lot of water.. I am in a B&B for my final night – am ½ way home, I will be home mid day tomorrow and will weigh in on Friday (maybe before) and see how much damage I did.

Welcome to the newbies!!! Janice, ….

Becca – did I miss your b-day? Happy belated one!!!

Katla – I got 92, and I bet when I hit my weight goal it will go up, My mom is 86 and going strong…. If I’m still having fun, I don’t mind living a long time, but when the fun is over, put me out of my misery Please!

Carey – congrats on smoke free!

Jane tr – what a great change! Good job!

June goals:
    Walk every day 180 miles for the month (in May I did 175… thought maybe a higher goal would be good)
    NEW – 1 plank every day – and log them here – 10 – missed one just forgot!
    Log everyday
    Eat slower
    do 2 fun things every week - week 1 – no traditional fun – but working hard to get all embroidery jobs done, clean up clutter inside and out, so that my doggy sitter will not have that to deal with, and the house will look nice when I get home.

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png

Love your goals!
  • Thanks for the encouraging words. On a positive note, I have been under my calories for most days and so MFP admonishes me for not eating enough. Yesterday and today, during my binge, it said that if I keep it up I will lose 7 lbs in 5 weeks. Maybe it wasn't as terrible as it felt. The earth continued to turn on it's axis and everything. :)
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited June 2015
    I'm sitting here half asleep, so not writing much. But no headache!

You girls have been getting philosophical in here today, really deep. But I love it. It's jsut that my brain is not up to thinking today.

Mary, Minnesota, one day I decided that I had had enough of my bi-level and wanted to move. DH was fine with it, he has worried about me in this house for a while now. I even looked and found the house. I wanted a ranch, 4 bedrooms and a large kitchen and great room to fit our family at Christmas which is about 30 people right now. But then I started thinking about how i am when I do a yard sale, emptying all drawers and cabinets to find out what I don't really need anymore. I soon realized that I was not up to packing this house up. We have lived here since 1978 so there is a lot of stuff, and i mean stuff. Also there would have to be repairs. DH does not agree with that at all. He has always thought we just should offer it 'as is only'. A 1978 house that is still styled by 1970s styles, as is with many apparent needs. So since we no longer have a mortgage on it, I am staying. I do not want my daughters stuck with the repairs when we die so I do wish he would let up on that. but to him our windows from 1978 are fine, kitchen and bathroom with obviously warped floors from moisture is fine. One thing that is not fine is stubborness. You must have huge closets if you are still working on closets. My comfort foods are wierd, hot dog, mac n cheese and McDonalds fish sandwich. Of course ice cream and chocolate are winners, but really losers, every day. So all those things I try to stay away from.

Sylvia, since you have tested positive for being a carrier for your son's disease, you really need to ge that mold fixed. That should be as important to you as your healthy life style.

Renny, they actually encouraged chubby kids in WW 2?

Becca, good for you in saying no! I was surprised when I went of r a bra fitting when I started my diet that she put me in a shaped bra also. I do like that it least gives my 'girls' some shape. It is a very light padding.

JanetR, fantastic change in your before and after pic. Love your smile. You seem to radiate health now.

Welcome Janice.

When I was doing all my MRI's for my initial testing for MS, they did a cervical spine MRI. With that one you can't swallow while they are doing a film. But they notified me in time so I could do a big swallow of saliva and then try not to swallow again. I just had to let my mouth fill up with saliva. YUCK. I'm going to post some pics of my inspiration now, my two grand children. Trinity is a quiet 13 year old until she gets around her really good friends. She loves anything musical and has been in 4 musicals, all city choirs. She was shy and recognizes that she totally changed when she let Jesus in her heart. Now she is a very confident, compassionate young lady. She volunteers with the childrens groups at church, while she was in middle school she would go to the elementary school and volunteer for a half an hour doing things for this one teacher before she walked across the parking lot to her middle school. She is on the track team, cross country. Her coach realizes that she will never make anything of herself i cross country but keeps her on the team just because of her attitude. Ellie, is an 8 year old bundle of energy, never stops, loves to cook, is outdoors from the minute she wakes up until she is made to go in. She is your best friend from the moment she meets you, doesn't matter what age. If she sees some one who looks like they are down, she will find something to write 'God loves you and so do I' on and give it to them and give them a hug. Yep, I know this is dangerous and her parents have talked to her about it many times. She loves to make things, her last thing to make was a bow and arrow, quiver (made out of a jeans leg with the bottom of the leg sewn) and a bulls eye. Then she practiced enough she is now really good at it. So here are my girls. Ellie was in beginners ballet for Christmas and Trinity has stage make up for her last musical.

gjuhxd3b3pc0.jpg
    fpoyrvs6j7ag.jpg

Good night, Joyce K, Indiana
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,120 Member
    edited June 2015
    98 ! ! ! ! ! That's so low because I drink alcohol. :laugh: I still live in fear that my cancer will come back and shorten my life so I try to live life as fully as I can. Getting through my bucket list while daily doing the things that are most important to me. Spending money so I can enjoy my life and not save it up for the kids. Life is not a rehearsal. Any day I could wake up and feel that lump and wish I'd followed my dreams earlier.

Janet SC - I will hug you any time. <3 I am a much better hugger these days. :) I was sexually abused by my father, like others on here, and it does make you a bit confused about physical contact. :noway: I am so much more confident all round these days. So over that, as they say. :laugh:

Joyce - gorgeous girls! The young one is the image of you!

JanetR - looking fabulous! I never thought I would LOVE my old fat photos! :laugh:

Got to get my face on for yoga. :laugh:

Heather UK
    27681614.png
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    I got 98 too.

I also just got a photo from my sister showing my 90-year old mother out on the back patio at the cottage - the one in New Hampshire, where I will be visiting later this summer. Despite her thick crew socks you can see how trim her ankles are. In the photo she's bent over double, pulling up weeds from between the rocks. It's exactly the same posture the women in East Africa adopt when working in the fields. Straight back, straight knees, hands so far down she can pinch the weeds right at the dirt line.

Mom's walker is in the background. Hard to believe she's broken both hips and had them replaced since October.

JanetR, what an amazing transformation! I looked at your profile and was reminded you're from Oklahoma City, where the citizens have lost total of a million pounds. Have you noticed any of that? Any changes in your daily environment that have been helpful?
  • italy10548
    italy10548 Posts: 174 Member
    Wow so many posts since I was here last! My DS's high school graduation and celebration went well. All relatives are gone from my home and I'm looking forward to quieter days. My three older sisters are a lot when they are all together! I'll just leave it there for now.
    So I'm jumping in right here! Welcome to all newbies! Hello good friends. I've missed you all.

Rosie in So Cal
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,636 Member
    Morning ladies~
    my internet is being finicky.... Happy Birthday AnnR...
    well I was up at 4, made the DH bacon cheeseburger meatloaf and mashed for dinner, enough for 2 more meals, that went in the freezer, got my stuff together, washed 24 jars for the jam by hand, as our dishwasher which we never use is not working anyway..
    I think maybe I will invest in a few more jars qt size and start canning.. it is fresh food that will last..
    my foot is bothering me plantar is giving me issues, will ice it for a bit before work...working 9-6 today, and go to the kidney dr tomorrow morning before work..
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Becca - happy birthday! smiley-greet006.gif

Joyce - your grands are beautiful...

JanetR - your transformation is wonderful, good for you for getting back on track. I just cleaned out my closet and found the one pair of 300-pound jeans that I kept from the old life. They always astound me...

Heather in the UK - A lot of the research says something on the order of 25% of obese women have been sexually abused... not trying to open that can of worms, and they weren't developing cause, just correlation, but they're beginning to find out how underreported sexual abuse is anyway. Like you said, kinda over it, don't dwell on it anymore.

DamitJanet - I went from a 46DD that I was overflowing to a 34 Long, and needed a spam key to roll the girls up... just kind of gave up on the padding thing, and simply not that self-conscious about whether the nips are showing or not. I can't see 'em unless I stand on my head or look in the mirror! Anyway, after I lost a bunch of the weight, actually ran a guy into a column in the mall once... He was watching my chest, and I was watching him. I realized afterward I hadn't actually positioned both girls pointing the same direction, and I think he was trying to figure out what was wrong with them!

smiley-angelic008.gif

Busy Tuesday coming up ladies... have a good day! Welcome back Rosie/Italy, you were missed!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,431 Member
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Damit Janet - My grandson is south of Houston right on the gulf coast. I'm praying tropical storm Jim doesn't cause too much damage for them.

Pip , yah for rebels :)

I'm getting back to where I feel totally full and satisfied when I'm done with a meal. I know making sure to drink all my water and eat good portions is making a difference.

I have 5 olders sisters, two of them have been very negative about my weight loss surgery and subsequent weight loss. I haven't decided if its just because misery loves company or if it makes them feel guilty cuz they know they should do some thing about their weight also. They have also voiced the opinion that everyone they know who had WLS gained it all back. Sisters, I TRULY thank you for my motivation. Ha!

ha! you got the right attitude!! just keep doing u
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Lisa ~ You are so funny! I enjoy reading your posts.

Happy Birthday Becca!

Joyce ~ your two grand daughters are beautiful.

Alison ~ What are you canning? More strawberry jam? My sis's DH always has a large garden and she has been putting away squash.

Kim ~ Glad your vaca was fun and you enjoyed all the relatives.

I am going with the DH to search through two antique malls today. Then we are going to check on the DS's two cats and out to LaParilla for lunch. So, it will be high calorie day. Will try to do the YouTube video again.

Carol/Peach
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,877 Member
    janetr7476 wrote: »

Barbie from beautiful NW Washington - I had weight loss surgery so have a small "pouch" so that's an advantage. BTW do I now get a "pouch ache" rather than a stomach ache, I wonder? :) I regress. I'm eating the post WLS surgery plan which is a lot of lien protein, very low carbs and low sugar. Have to wait 45-60 min. after eating to drink anything cuz the fluid pushes the food thru the pouch too quickly and you get hungry sooner. So I'm back to following plan much more closely and making sure to get in all my water. I'm daily over protein count on MFP guidelines and under calories sometimes but average day is close to 1000 cal per day.

:) Thank you for telling me this. What is most admirable is that you are closely following the plan that was given to you. Most good ideas are simple and following directions is a simple idea and it works. Thank you, too, for sharing your pictures. Seeing success makes me very happy.

:) Kim, I'm glad your trip went well and none of the bumps in the road happened. I'm happy to see you back.

:) Rosie, I missed you....I'm glad you are back.

:) No time for more chat....I have two hours of dog walking to do before showering, dressing, and driving to meet a friend for a walk and talk in three hours. She just got back from Scotland and I'm eager to hear about her adventures.

:) I eat exactly the same breakfast every day and it makes the morning go well for me.

<3 Barbie from NW Washington

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Here is today's joke of the day:

:)

Two elderly couples were enjoying a friendly conversation when one of the men asked the other, "Fred, how was the memory clinic you went to last month?"

"Outstanding," Fred replied. "They taught us all the latest psychological techniques: visualization, association, etc. It was great."

"That's great! And what was the name of the clinic?"

Fred went blank. He thought and thought, but couldn't remember.

Then a smile broke across his face and he asked, "What do you call that flower with the long stem and thorns?"

"You mean a rose?"

"Yes, that's it!"

He turned to his wife, "Rose, what was the name of that memory clinic?"

:D