Pork tenderloin, a good alternative to chicken?

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Mellouk89 wrote: »
    But in the context of a mostly plant-based diet is it still relevant? We do know that a high-fiber diet can reduce the risk of colon cancer.

The study? No, not really.
    One of the issues the researchers noted was that increase in meat consumption tended to replace part of a plant based diet. The issue would seem to be one for the other not one AND the other.

Exactly. That's the way most "studies" are. They are usually funded by grants from corporations who want their own agenda as results.

No. Sorry, I don't buy into the idea that most studies have issues or are agenda driven. That's just not true. Nor are most of the studies discussed here funded by corp grants.

That kind of statement is actually pretty insulting.

The researchers of that study pointed out those issues in the conclusion / discussion.

Insulting? I think that the corporations which cause people to buy into these "studies" is insulting.

Assuming that most studies are corporate-biased makes a (false) statement about researchers which is insulting.
    And what you state is neither supported by this research or most epidemiological research.

Studies that question the consumption of processed meat are biased in what way?
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    But in the context of a mostly plant-based diet is it still relevant? We do know that a high-fiber diet can reduce the risk of colon cancer.

One of the issues the researchers noted was that increase in meat consumption tended to replace part of a plant based diet. The issue would seem to be one for the other not one AND the other.

Exactly. That's the way most "studies" are. They are usually funded by grants from corporations who want their own agenda as results.

No. Sorry, I don't buy into the idea that most studies have issues or are agenda driven. That's just not true. Nor are most of the studies discussed here funded by corp grants.

The researchers of that study pointed out those issues in the conclusion / discussion.

Insulting? I think that the corporations which cause people to buy into these "studies" is insulting.

Assuming that most studies are corporate-biased makes a (false) statement about researchers which is insulting.
    And what you state is neither supported by this research or most epidemiological research.

influence of Big Chicken :smile:

• EvgeniZyntx
    In Okinawa, there is a community where more people live to be over 100 than anywhere else in the world. Their diet consists of primarily plant based food, but they do include pork in their diet in small amounts. One would think, in Japan, that they would be eating fish, but that is not the case.

bluezones.com

Lots of woo on that site.

What is woo?

Style over substance and pseudo science explanations.
    http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Woo
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member

I agree. It's important to look who the source behind the source of these studies are...

when there's $$$$ involved one may be able to skew the "results" one way or the other..

which is why i take the "studies" that aspartame et al are sooper dooper safe with a grain of salt
    Can you distinguish between that position and ad hominem? Shouldn't you be critiquing the study itself?

• EvgeniZyntx

I agree. It's important to look who the source behind the source of these studies are...

when there's $$$$ involved one may be able to skew the "results" one way or the other..

which is why i take the "studies" that aspartame et al are sooper dooper safe with a grain of salt

Sigh. Please explain to me what corporate interest is being served by the studies posted in this thread that look into the consumption of processed meat in a critical light?
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    edited June 2015
    In Okinawa, there is a community where more people live to be over 100 than anywhere else in the world. Their diet consists of primarily plant based food, but they do include pork in their diet in small amounts. One would think, in Japan, that they would be eating fish, but that is not the case.

bluezones.com

What is woo?

basically fad type statements where science has been twisted to suit an agenda, or all out rumours with no scientific basis at all.

Just checked that site you linked out and... yup. Agenda? check ;)

Looks like they are out to make considerable cash from their "plan". I was going to do their "how long will you live" calculator just for a laugh and to maybe illustrate a point, but there is no way I am handing over my email address to a place like that.

Want to see some less woo-based research done on those okinawans?

http://www.okicent.org/

they are looking at all factors, not just cherry-picking what would suit a business model.

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member

Possibly by the corporations that sell unprocessed meat?
  • atypicalsmith

Very good! There are thousands of studies on the same subject, all with different results. So - tell me - who pays for these "studies"?
  • EvgeniZyntx

Ad hominem continued. lol. Since the study doesn't show unprocessed meat is good for you. In fact, the abstract states negative, non significant results.

Really, you are just pulling smoke out off somewhere. That research has NO corp interest funding.
    But continue with the unbelievable innuendo.
  • atypicalsmith

Ad hominem continued. lol. Since the study doesn't show unprocessed meat is good for you. In fact, the abstract states negative, non significant results.

Really, you are just pulling smoke out off somewhere. That research has NO corp interest funding.

How I wish I could live in your world!
  • atypicalsmith

And you didn't answer my question - who or what is paying for these "studies"?
  • EvgeniZyntx

Very good! There are thousands of studies on the same subject, all with different results. So - tell me - who pays for these "studies"?

No, there aren't thousands. There are possibly a hundred or so (and maybe 30 relevant) and most point out to issues with processed meat. Really pointy tin foil hat stuff. Please point out 1 of these major epidemiological studies with major corporate interests.

Who pays? Go read the funding info. It's public for each study.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

Sigh. Please explain to me what corporate interest is being served by the studies posted in this thread that look into the consumption of processed meat in a critical light?

Can't answer that. Trying to find the who's and why's would be like chasing a bunny down the rabbit hole.

In the end nobody does nuthin' for nuthin' these days. They'll publish what they want us to know and hold back what they do not.

• MonsoonStorm

Some studies are funded by universities, some are funded by charities with a genuine interest in solving a puzzle (cancer research etc), heck I believe some lottery funds will give a percentage of money to worthwhile research. Some are simply funded by philanthropists. Not all research is corporation based.
  • EvgeniZyntx

You asked that in a different post. The answer is, "it depends" and "it's right there in the study. Go read it."
  • EvgeniZyntx

How I wish I could live in your world!

Well, we don't get to wear tin foil. You might not like it.

I'm not saying all research is without an agenda (some obviously is), I am saying that to state that ANY of the research posted in this thread so far has a corporate agenda is ludicrous.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member

Can't answer that. Trying to find the who's and why's would be like chasing a bunny down the rabbit hole.

In the end nobody does nuthin' for nuthin' these days. They'll publish what they want us to know and hold back what they do not.
    So you assert that it is important to look at the sources behind the studies, then you assert that you can't answer who is behind the studies. That's an interesting take.

• EvgeniZyntx

bluezones.com

What is woo?

basically fad type statements where science has been twisted to suit an agenda, or all out rumours with no scientific basis at all.

Just checked that site you linked out and... yup. Agenda? check ;)

Looks like they are out to make considerable cash from their "plan". I was going to do their "how long will you live" calculator just for a laugh and to maybe illustrate a point, but there is no way I am handing over my email address to a place like that.

Want to see some less woo-based research done on those okinawans?

http://www.okicent.org/

they are looking at all factors, not just cherry-picking what would suit a business model.

Interesting site - points out that weight/cals might be an important factor.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    edited June 2015

More tin hat.
    Really?

It's right there in the publication.

Real question, how do expect people to take your posts with any seriousness when you post vague accusations like that? "I don't know but it's gotta be cause people are suspect?" That's what you've got?

The research funding:
    The work described in this article was carried out with the financial support of Europe Against Cancer Program of the European Commission (SANCO); Deutsche Krebshilfe, Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum, German Federal Ministry of Education and Research; Danish Cancer Society; Health Research Fund (FIS) of the Spanish Ministry of Health, Spanish Regional Governments of Andalucia, Asturias, Basque Country, Murcia and Navarra; ISCIII RCESP exp. C03/09, Spain; Cancer Research UK; Medical Research Council, United Kingdom; Stroke Association, United Kingdom; British Heart Foundation; Department of Health, United Kingdom; Food Standards Agency, United Kingdom; Wellcome Trust, United Kingdom; the Hellenic Health Foundation and the Stavros Niarchos Foundation; Italian Association for Research on Cancer (AIRC); Italian National Research Council, Fondazione-Istituto Banco Napoli, Italy; Dutch Ministry of Public Health, Welfare and Sports (VWS), Netherlands Cancer Registry (NKR), LK Research Funds, Dutch Prevention Funds, Dutch ZON (Zorg Onderzoek Nederland), World Cancer Research Fund (WCRF), Statistics Netherlands (The Netherlands); Swedish Cancer Society; Swedish Scientific Council; Regional Government of Skåne, Sweden; Nordforsk the Norwegian Cancer Society; French League against Cancer (LNCC); National Institute for Health and Medical Research (INSERM), France; Mutuelle Générale de l'Education Nationale (MGEN), France; 3M Co, France; Gustave Roussy Institute (IGR), France; and General Councils of France.

The sponsors had no input in the design, conduct, analysis, or interpretation of the study, and did not influence manuscript preparation.

So which of those corporations has a food interest in the findings they published (consumption of processed meats presents some risks?)
  • MonsoonStorm

More tin hat.
    Really?

It's right there in the publication.

Real question, how do expect people to take your posts with any seriousness when you post vague accusations like that? "I don't know but it's gotta be cause people are suspect?" That's what you've got?

The research funding:
    The work described in this article was carried out with the financial support of Europe Against Cancer Program of the European Commission (SANCO); Deutsche Krebshilfe, Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum, German Federal Ministry of Education and Research; Danish Cancer Society; Health Research Fund (FIS) of the Spanish Ministry of Health, Spanish Regional Governments of Andalucia, Asturias, Basque Country, Murcia and Navarra; ISCIII RCESP exp. C03/09, Spain; Cancer Research UK; Medical Research Council, United Kingdom; Stroke Association, United Kingdom; British Heart Foundation; Department of Health, United Kingdom; Food Standards Agency, United Kingdom; Wellcome Trust, United Kingdom; the Hellenic Health Foundation and the Stavros Niarchos Foundation; Italian Association for Research on Cancer (AIRC); Italian National Research Council, Fondazione-Istituto Banco Napoli, Italy; Dutch Ministry of Public Health, Welfare and Sports (VWS), Netherlands Cancer Registry (NKR), LK Research Funds, Dutch Prevention Funds, Dutch ZON (Zorg Onderzoek Nederland), World Cancer Research Fund (WCRF), Statistics Netherlands (The Netherlands); Swedish Cancer Society; Swedish Scientific Council; Regional Government of Skåne, Sweden; Nordforsk the Norwegian Cancer Society; French League against Cancer (LNCC); National Institute for Health and Medical Research (INSERM), France; Mutuelle Générale de l'Education Nationale (MGEN), France; 3M Co, France; Gustave Roussy Institute (IGR), France; and General Councils of France.

The sponsors had no input in the design, conduct, analysis, or interpretation of the study, and did not influence manuscript preparation.

So which of those corporations has a food interest in the findings they published (consumption of processed meats presents some risks?)

Obviously 3M. Their command adhesive is used to create sausage/salami skins.