Is there any merit to this...

I've been working out and eating healthy and watching my calories and have lost almost 10 lbs to over the last two weeks. There is a lady in my office who claims she is on a "high fat, low carb" diet. So, basically I sit at my desk eating celery and she eats sausage, hunks of cheese, and pork rinds all day. Is there any merit to this type of diet? It just doesn't seem healthy at all.

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Any diet will work as long as you're eating less calories than you burn. Losing weight is all about calories in calories out, not how healthy the food is.
  • thegaragegirl01
    thegaragegirl01 Posts: 48 Member
    Just because you think it will work doesn't mean that it will. Pork rind? Cheese? Sausage? I don't think those are the kinds of fats that are meant to be consumed with that kind of diet. You're not dieting, you're having a lifestyle change. Keep doing what you're doing and see who gets the weight off and keeps it off in the end :-)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Yes look at Keto and Low Carb

They all boil down to CICO though (calories in < calories out)

Personally I just do CICO - but I haven't eaten celery - I eat a load of food of all types

If you're chewing on celery instead of proper food you're doing it wrong
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    kleighjen wrote: »
    I've been working out and eating healthy and watching my calories and have lost almost 10 lbs to over the last two weeks. There is a lady in my office who claims she is on a "high fat, low carb" diet. So, basically I sit at my desk eating celery and she eats sausage, hunks of cheese, and pork rinds all day. Is there any merit to this type of diet? It just doesn't seem healthy at all.

Health and weight loss are very different things ;)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member

i think with the high fat low carb diet you're supposed to eat the good fatty foods, like avocado, nuts, and lean meats like salmon and steak.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Why are you eating celery? Yuck.
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    edited June 2015
    :) you could always upgrade that celery and put some peanut butter on it

well there's a sure-fire way to blow your calorie goal for the day... take your go-to grazing snack and turn it into a calorie bomb.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member

Neither of your diets sound healthy and sustainable.
    (Slightly tongue in cheek - please say you aren't just eating celery!)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member

well there's a sure-fire way to blow your calorie goal for the day... take your go-to grazing snack and turn it into a calorie bomb.

A serving of pb is 190-200 cals. Hardly a calorie bomb.
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member

that's what i'm talking about! i happen to be a big fan of celery! LOL (organic though, it's one of the worst for pesticides) celery & nut butter, celery & hummus, celery & guacamole, celery in salads&soups.....

but, to the OP: my husband is a big fan of low carb, high fat, and he does, in fact, lose weight on it. BUT, BOTH TIMES he has stuck to that diet religiously for several months in a row, he has become ill. (diverticulitis once, pericarditis once) I'm no dr, but i don't believe it was a coincidence. in no universe will i ever believe pork rinds are a good fuel for our bodies.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Does it look like she's losing weight?

From a weight loss perspective, it's all about eating less than you burn.
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    In the end, it's CICO that works for weight loss no matter what is in your calories. I have a large appetite and am not satisfied with small amounts of foods. Fats have lots of calories for small portions so I always end up with too many calories in if I don't watch it. If you keep your portions small and your calorie intake in check, you can have lots of fat in your diet.
  • bluejennn
    bluejennn Posts: 25 Member
    sijomial wrote: »

No....heavens no! I'm eating about 1400-1500 calories a day. Celery was just an example of a snack that I was having! What I am doing is working so I am going to keep doing it! I feel great, more energy, in a better mood, and my pants are feeling loose.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Any diet will work as long as you're eating less calories than you burn. Losing weight is all about calories in calories out, not how healthy the food is.

QFT
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    The only reason I can think that a person would be eating celery all day is that they have a habit of eating all the time and rather than ending the habit, they choose a food that doesn't have a lot of calories. That works for a while, but in the end, it isn't ideal because the celery is replaced by candy bars and they are back where they started. As for someone eating fat all day, as long as they do so in moderation, there's no reason why they can't lose weight on that kind of diet. Is it healthy? Probably not, since it is missing some of the nutrients the body needs.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Why does it matter? People's reasons for eating a certain way are varied and individual..... Along as you're happy with what you're doing, what your workmate does is up to her! "health" can be a million different things....
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Why does it matter?
    Knowledge is good. -- Faber College motto.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    sijomial wrote: »

No....heavens no! I'm eating about 1400-1500 calories a day. Celery was just an example of a snack that I was having! What I am doing is working so I am going to keep doing it! I feel great, more energy, in a better mood, and my pants are feeling loose.

then keep doing what you are doing and don't worry about what someone else is doing.

Yes, you can do low carb/high fat and lose weight; just as you can do high protein/low fat/moderate carbs and lose weight. What matters is that you are in a calorie deficit.