WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2015

Replies

• terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Good Morning Everyone! :)

Hope you are off to a bright start. I got out for my morning one mile walk with Storm this morning. It was beautiful and I managed to work up a great sweat. Can't wait to workout this evening.

I enjoyed my weekend in DC and I did have an opportunity to walk but did not drink water and do my workout routine like I do at home so now I am feeling the impact. It is so easy to get off track. :(

Anyway, you guys know that I bought a new car a week or so ago now the truck is breaking down pretty badly so we will be looking for a truck. So I had to get a second job to try and offset the new payments. I'm signed up and certified to be a Beauti Control Consultant. I must make this work. The SO is back to cutting down trees after work. Phew! We are definitely on a financial roll here! <3 If you need skin care or spa products or you need to make some extra money let me know by sending an email to terewilliams@hotmail.com <3

Pat: Your clematis are beautiful. Mine just died out last week and I miss them.

LisaH: You are so right! We should all overcome “fear” especially when it stops us from sharing our gifts with the rest of the world. Good for you! :)

Ann: I am giving great thought to your remarks regarding nudity. You are probably right. I just don’t know if I could manage a nude beach. I am barely making it past the mirror in the bathroom.

Grits
    : I wish I could go next door and get in anyone’s pool. I guess I’ll just have to go to the gym!

Poopy Pip: You are absolutely right (as usual) going to the gym and just working out do feel something I just do every day now. When I don’t do it my day seems off balance. And just for the record….I want to say that you are always wonderful. It is so nice to help someone else especially at the gym. I remember going to the gym and just feeling overwhelmed and lost. I would not dare embarrass myself in one of those zumba classes! It was a while before I realized that everyone was concentrating on what they were doing and not me. I

Barbie: Loved the picture of Sasha and Brandy! They are beautiful. Oh, I love Storm but I miss my poos so much!

Well I’ve got to get to work now….Have a great day everyone

Tere in Richmond VA
    :)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,024 Member
    Janetr Wow! You worked hard to achieve your new look.

Joyce as my poor brother is trying to get my mom's house ready for sale. The signs of neglect add to the difficulty. I agree with you in getting maintenance done, besides then you"ll get to enjoy it. One of the reasons we are living in our home is the previous owner knew he could no longer maintain the home and he cared so much about it that he did not want to let it go rather than see it slowly go into disrepair. After being a part of cleaning out my mom's house who lived there for 65 years I am motivated to start letting go of the things I don't need or no longer serve us.

MNMargaret
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Hi All Y'all! Been reading posts on a daily basis; don't go back prior to then . . . yesterday is gone, can't change anything there; tomorrow not here - can't worry about anything there; living in the present. Today is my oldest DS's 39th birthday. DH is taking his BD present to him at work. (DS works for DH/D). Hope that it 'fits' him. Plus told him that the money is for HIM and not for anything or anyone else - buy something he wants or needs. @mollywhippet love your daily joke. So typical of some people, me included. Can't remember why I went to the other end of the house, much less what I was to get when I got there. It seems like only yesterday we were bringing my DS/Baby home with us. I was a 'wreck' . . . what do you do with 'little boys'? Thankfully my DMnL was there to help me. She was a "Nannie" and had been for over 30 years. Such a lot of help! My Mother did not come to help me, and I did not ask - she would have been totally lost, she had 3 girls. Said that she had wanted 6 boys; but, stopped at 3 girls, because they were twice as nice. Until she had me . . . I gave her fits (but, I wasn't supposed to be) and I got shipped off to stay with some 'great aunts' so that she could recover from having me - she was not even allowed to pick me up. Nothing over a 5lb bag of sugar.
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    janetr, you are looking marvelous. Congratulations! Your hard work is really paying off! You can't change your sisters' reaction but you can sure take pride in what you've accomplished.
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Sylvia: Based on all the home reno shows I used to watch, mold is a serious health issue. I hope you can deal with it really quickly, even if you can get the roof fixed and all the mold removed and cleaned you could always wait until later to put drywall back etc.

Penny: Love the pic's!

Carol/Peach: 15 Minute Youtube video is a HUGE NSV! WTG! wtg.gif

Sorry ladies, I ran out of time for responding this morning as I need to get ready for Tai Chi in the park. Hope it doesn't rain..(can't believe I'm saying that!) Please know that I've read all your posts and send cheers for those deserve them and hugs for those who need them.

Went for my pedicure yesterday and chose a wonderful purple for my toes. I'm definitely on a purple kick recently. Decided to have a manicure too.. and the gal talked me into shelac. Hopefully, I'll be able to be patient while it grows off because I hate what it does to your nails when they remove it.

Thought for the day: "The things we hate about ourselves aren't more real than things we like about ourselves." -Ellen Goodman

June Goals:

1. Do menu planning for June (complete)
    2. Eat 3 meals a day
    3. Log all meals
    4. Plan and Do one fun thing each week
    (W1: Hot stone massage and weekend of Tai Chi with friend...Oops that's 2 things...oh darn
    W2: Lunch with a friend, going away party for co-worker... 2 more...yay!
    W3: Pedicure and manicure, Tai Chi in the park. (I'm on a roll)
    5. Ride stationary bike 3 times a week for 30 minutes.

Carey-Edmonton
  • RoCla
    RoCla Posts: 34 Member
    Lagopus wrote: »
    Penny here.

I live at the North Pole. Well, almost. I'm about 800 miles from it.

This looks like a supportive group! I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the posts, so if you don't mind, I'll just rubberneck for a while and get to know everyone before I start commenting.

Goals for June:
    Weigh my food and register my calories as consistently as possible
    Jog a total of 80 miles (three marathons)
    Play with the grandchildren when they visit

See you
    Penny at the Pole
    I'm with you Penny. I just discovered this thread and think it might just be the place for me. I too will watch and listen for a while...
    Rosanna from Indiana
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Mary, thank you for your kind words. It really means a lot to me. I’m so glad you joined us.smiley-gen013.gif

Janetr, I was just watching the morning weather about the tropical storm. I’ve been in Houston during flash floods and it is amazing how fast the underpasses become flooded. I’ll pray for your grandson along with all the people in Bob’s path. I do read about so many surgery patients that eventually gain back the weight. The nice thing for you is you found MFP and this group to help you stay the course for the rest of your life. And now I hope you can resist getting a “pouch ache”. Lol too funny! Great before picture. Thanks for sharing.

Katla, thanks for sharing the Lifespan Calculator. It was fun and interesting. I like your statement, “I have much better “won’t power” in the grocery store than in my kitchen.”

Lisab, welcome back. Being way over 50 is all the more reason to visit here often. There are lots of us “way over 50”. And having upcoming events you want to look nice for, sounds like wonderful motivation to come often. Not to sound pushy or anything but, Get your butt in here every day and keep logging those foods. It looks like you have done great so there is no need to stop so close to your goal. And when you reach it, for sure don’t stop or you know what happens to all of us. Glad you are here.

Kim fr Cali, I wondered where you were. Glad it was for fun and not a problem. I’ll bet you didn’t gain an ounce but if you did, it was surely worth it for the family time. Drive carefully the rest of the way home.

Elizabeth, you are so right. No matter what we eat (or don’t) and no matter if we exercise our arses off (or don’t), the world continues to turn. When we don’t do what we know is right, it only hurts us. I keep telling myself that, but sometimes I tell Me that I just don’t want to, and even though we can’t agree, either I or me wins. And it then only hurts me, myself or I? I think? Oh well.

Joyce, your girls are beautiful!!! I know you must be so proud. Isn’t it wonderful the difference it can make when God comes into a life. Man, those comfort foods are pretty dangerous. I hope you don’t need comforting very often. Lol Luckily I am not a huge ice cream craver, because DH keeps it in the house all the time. Well actually in the freezer. It is one of those things that if I am really in the mood for some, I can have one bite and it satisfies me. Now other things like starches, I want a huge serving, if not two, when I want it. Not so good.

Heather
    , I too live like I knew that I was dying. (I love that song!!!!!) I hope my DD is okay when we are gone, but I don’t feel obligated to leave her any money. She will get the house and anything that’s left. But I have worked hard for years and years and I want DH and me to enjoy what we can while we are still in shape to do so. There isn’t a lot left on my bucket list, but I still like to travel (Like I know you do) and do things and I figure that is why we saved money all those years. Here’s to living life to the fullest, if that includes a drink or two every night. smiley-eatdrink004.gif

Rosie, welcome back. Glad the celebration went well and now you get to rest.

Lisa, I hear ya about having the girls pointing in somewhat the same direction. And rolling up with a Spam key? ROFL They do just kinda flop around any ole place since the stuffing has been let out of them. But what is a 34 Long in a bra size? I never heard of that one.

Sylvia, Funny Joke, I think….not sure I remember?

NMMargaret, I feel so good about the things I’ve go through and gotten rid of this past few months. We had this house built and it is just 8 years old, but it’s amazing how quickly we can build up a supply of things we don’t want or need. I feel like I have so much more space after culling out lots of things. I’m behind you all the way to start a clean out at your house. You know it just takes 15 minutes a day. smiley-gen159.gif

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

loopy.gif I applaud all you walkers. Walk a mile for me. I’m still struggling with getting in all my exercise. Like everything else in life of value, I’ll just keep trying until it gets back to a habit. I have my follow up appointment with the doctor on my allergy tests this morning. I guess I’ll decide today if I want to spend the money for the medication after I get a little more information on it.

Thank you all for posting your trials and triumphs. Together we can conquer this. I look so forward each day to finding out what is going on with all of you. May your victories be many and you all have a wonderful day.

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    I just got this story in an email and just had to share it with you ladies.

Florida Woman Stops Gator Attack with Small Caliber Pistol

This is a story of self-control and marksmanship by a brave, cool-headed woman with a small pistol against a fierce predator.
    What is the smallest caliber that you would trust to protect yourself?

A Beretta Jetfire testimonial.

Here is her story in her own words:

"While out walking along the edge of a bayou just outside of Fort Lauderdale in alligator alley with my soon to be ex-husband discussing property settlement and other divorce issues, we were surprised by a huge 12-ft. alligator which suddenly emerged from the murky water and began charging us with its large jaws wide open. She must have been protecting her nest because she was extremely aggressive.

If I had not had my little Beretta Jetfire .25 caliber pistol with me, I would not be here today! Just one shot to my estranged husband's knee cap was all it took. The gator got him easily and I was able to escape by just walking away at a brisk pace.

It's one of the best pistols in my collection! Plus, the amount I saved in lawyer fees was incredible!"

Janet
    Myrtle Beach
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,433 Member
    morning peeps -

janetr - lookin good!!

italy - yeayyyy for family going awayyyy!!!

grandmalle - so when is your bday??

lhannon - you are a hoot!!!

terewilliams - there was this lady there once at an old gym, she just had the worst attitude and i finally told her, "lady, don't flatter yourself, it's not all about you, we're not looking at you, we don't care, we are here for the same reason" i think she later got the point and the attitude changed.

sluts - happy bday to your son!!!, i wanna be your son (or daughter) give me $$ and i will spend it on myself. :0)

well today, I weenied out and didn't ride in, changed my mind at the last second, so i'll ride home, that will be my punishment. well, this weekend, another run, not going to run w/yogi this time, don't want to risk tripping over him again. this is the run (5k) where I have been getting 1st place in my age group every time that I have done it. we will see if I can do a repeat this time.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,310 Member
    Well, did about 20 minutes of yoga, held my plank for 2 min 45 sec and then took the extremepump class.

Have to stop at and get Loki his capsule after the extremepump class. I'll probably go early and do some ab work.

the plan for tomorrow is to walk backwards on a treadmill.

Charm
    - WTG on that loss. How are you able to determine how much of it is body fat and how much is muscle?

Nancy
    - congrats on finding you'd prefer those healthy snacks. It's amazing how our body starts to crave healthy food. When I had some of that florida "pudding" yesterday, my stomach said "no, honey". I really wished I'd had an apple instead

fitchriis
    - there are days when MFP tells me that I'm not eating enough. Really, my rationalization is that there are also days when I overeat so everything works out in the end. As long as it doesn't consistently tell you that you're harming yourself, once in a while probably isn't going to do a lot of damage.

Becca - I just thought of something, when you go nude, is there something that you need to do special for the tips of your ta-ta's? They're pretty sensitive.

JanetM
    - when I was 40 I thought it would be so so cool to get a second piercing in my ear. Now I regret it to the max. One of the holes closed up which I'm not sorry about but the other one didn't.

suerontur - welcome! Sometimes it just takes our bodies a while to catch up with the scale. Give it time and know that you're doing a great thing for yourself. One day you'll suddenly see a great drop. Don't give up!

Lisa
    - love how open and honest you are about your feelings!

Went to the extremepump class, left early to go to the pharmacy to make sure they had Loki's med (if not, they can refill the prescription and I'd pick it up tonight on my way to ceramics). Fortunately, they had it. Then went in the pool for a bit (water is 88). Bowling in a few, then home and I'll do my exercises.

Cheri
    - happy anniversary AND congrats on the weight loss

Boy, we sure are a chatty bunch. There's no way I can answer everyone. Know that you are all in my thoughts.

Brought home my snail today. Put it in the garage and it'll go out by the pool tomorrow. Went to ceramics, did more painting on the shell of the turtle

poop
    - we'd never lie to you. You ARE pretty, inside and out

A friend of Jessica's wants to move to NC so she's going to be staying with us next Wed. and Thurs. Jess said that she really doesn't trust Amanda's bf. Vince is being (to me) somewhat paranoid. I told him that I won't go to the Newcomer Board meeting next Wed. unless they leave the house in time. Amanda said they plan to leave Thurs afternoon, which works since we have a reception to go to for the Green Room Thurs night.

Penny at the Pole
    - I, too, can't get over my good fortune to find such big hearted women.

Must be something in the air -- my eyes are really burning.
    [b
    Mary from MN[/b] - you're still in the closet???? Sorry, my mind is doing weird things. You don't want to come out of the closet?

We're not allowed to hang our clothes outside (HOA rules). How I miss it!

ydaily - cute walking buddy!

Carey
    - congrats on smoke free. That's one of the best things you could do for yourself

Boy, my eyes are tearing so much I can barely read the posts

Carol in NC - hope your shoulder feels better fast

Becca - happy birthday

Janet
    - welcome

Oh no, I forgot to post last night. Well, here goes....Tuesday now

Walked on the treadmill backwards for an hour. I didn't work up much of a sweat, but I can tell that I used different muscles. Well, it's supposed to be around 100 today, so it's probably for the best. The plan for tomorrow is to go to the deep water class.

JanetR
    - sending good thoughts for your grandson. I'd love to see what foods keep you full, too. Wonderful pics!

katla - I have better "won't power" in the grocery store. Probably because I can pass by the food once and it isn't constantly tempting me like if it were in the house. I bet your neighbor has a big heart, just not a big mind

kim
    - glad you survived the wedding, sounds like you did real well

Joyce
    - adorable grandchildren

Rosie
    - welcome back

Lenora (GRITS, right?)
    - happy birthday to your son

carey
    - taichi in the park -- sounds heaveny

Michele in NC
  • Lumamar
    Lumamar Posts: 4 Member
    I would love to join all you ladies in getting fit and losing weight. The getting fit is hard enough but I can not seem to get the scales to go in the down direction. I am currently training for a 1 week bicycle ride call "Ride Idaho" in August and a long weekend of backpacking the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail) in July. I have been sedentary for so long that all this exercising is 'kicking my butt', just wish it would get smaller in the process!! I enjoyed reading this forum and looking forward to the extra motivation it provides. I have been a member of MFP for less than a month and have 20 lbs to lose and lots of muscle to build. B)

Marci
    Boise, Idaho
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Barbie: Regarding the longevity calculator, thank goodness you’ll still be here when I’m an old woman! Otherwise I could get very lonely. :flowerforyou:

Janet: I agree with you. Hooray for saggy skin! It is a darn site better looking than the dimpled skin I had before, and it still holds in the parts that need to stay inside and keeps out the dirt. I love the alligator joke! :laugh:

Joyce: Your granddaughters are beautiful, inside and out. :flowerforyou:

Heather: There is nothing wrong with alcohol for those who are in control of quantity. A glass of wine at dinner was recommended for DMIL to help with her heart problems. :heart:

Penny: Your mom is an inspiration. My Auntie played golf on her 90th birthday, but liver cancer took her before she made it to 91. :broken_heart:

Sylvia: Love the memory clinic joke. :laugh:

Tere: It sounds like you’ll be spending a lot of hours working. I hope all goes well for you & DSO. :flowerforyou:

Grits: My son will turn 40 next month. OMG! I’m proud of the man he’s become but I still see the boy he was peeking out now and then. :heart:

Carey: Tai Chi! Good for you. Tell us how you got started. :flowerforyou:

I’m happy everyone is “enjoying” the lifespan calculator, and even happier that I can look forward to good company here on the Women 90+ thread in a few years. :laugh: :heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Joyce...my (step)-grandaughter's name is Trinity also. They are both beautiful girls, inside and out.

Chris in MA
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Damit - The "34 Long" in bra size is was supposed to be funny... thus the spam key? Obviously missed the mark.

Michele - If you meant me, "Lisa" about being honest about my feelings--I got really honest about EVERYthing when I left my ex. And now I'm too old to remember even polite fibs. So I either say it or I'm silent. And I usually go ahead and say it.

:wink:
    Regards, Lisa from West Texas
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,124 Member
    edited June 2015
    Oh ladies!

Got myself in a right old turmoil this afternoon. Felt absolutely sick to my stomach and all of a tremble after I'd spoken to the real estate agents about selling my rental. I'm still undecided as to whether to apply for the lease extension or not and of course the shortness of the lease means I'm only looking at cash buyers, most likely investors. She warned me that I may get some very cheeky offers indeed. :sad: That sent me off into a catastrophising spin! :cry:
    To cheer myself up I rang my friend with cancer and listened to her catastrophising about her son's wedding. :laugh: Other people's troubles always cheer you up! ! ! ! :laugh: When I told her how bad I was feeling she reminded me that it's only money. :noway: How right she is. She has a terminal illness.
    Then I went and did some extra calories on my recumbent bike and rower so I can eat tonight. (I love yoga, but it's not heavy on the calorie burn) Feel as if I've got a bit more perspective on it all now. I hate feeling stupid for having made a bad, very bad investment, but there are worse things in heaven and hell and my panic and upset just remind me that I need to get rid of the ÷×=+× thing as soon as possible. :bigsmile: Phew! Thanks for listening. :flowerforyou:
    DH suggested I have a drink to calm my nerves and I said "No thank you. I'd rather wait until 6pm, my usual time." NSV for me! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! :laugh:

Tonight we are having scallops with chorizo. Not made that exact thing before. No recipe, just playing it by ear. Tomato and basil salad. I might treat myself to a spoonful of rice. :o DH is cooking our fabulous gooseberries.

I also arranged a year's travel insurance today to cover our cruise etc. And I booked a hair appointment for Friday pm. Just a trim. All good.

Thankyou ladies for being here! What would I do without you? :love:

Heather in sunny Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • JulesAtkinson1
    JulesAtkinson1 Posts: 219 Member
    Marking my spot by saying that I TURNED DOWN A FRESH, HOT KRISPY KREME DONUT THIS MORNING!!!!!!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,433 Member

exermom - thanks. it's a self esteem issue, you can thank mom for that. as much as i would like to believe it, i just don't and that's ok, that's just the way it is.

welcome lumamar - i'm a rider too. just keep riding, trust me, those muscles will build!

julesatkinson - WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! REBUKE THAT DONUT!!!!!!!!!

i just remembered peeps, i gotta try on my bathing suit to make sure it fits or may need to buy another (might be too big).. yes, it is a 2 piece, wouldn't wear one around here but in a place where i am not known? NO PROBLEM. what happens is that i fake confidence in my body, thinking i look sooo hot when inside myself i REALLY don't think that but the strangers don't know, i fake it pretty good.
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    I’m home and back to work today. I did miss some posts while I was gone and do not have the time to go back so I’ll just go forward from here.

One post that caught my eye was Janet in Myrtle Beach, SC saying “Barbie, I like that one: “My detours are very close to the main road”.” What a great quote! Despite my best intentions I went off plan this past Sunday. I had 2 truffles and 4 cookies that put me well over my calories for the day. I started to mentally beat myself up on Monday morning, but stopped myself with the acceptance that I cannot and will not be perfect every day. I got right back on track. So my “detour” was not far off the main road. A very comforting thought and a good reminder that stepping off the path doesn’t have to be a whole new direction, but a slight detour.

I am still processing the events of the weekend. It was so good to see and visit with people I haven’t seen in 10 years. The man who passed was a close friend of my parents so many stories hared with me were about my parents who are both gone now. So now my parents are front and center in my thoughts which is making me really miss them right now. Funny how you can be fully grown up and adult and still have this childlike ache of “I want my Daddy/ Mommy.” I feel blessed to have had parents whom I miss and remember with great fondness and with lots of laughter. I have far too many friends who have experienced well deserved relief at their parent’s passing so I know how blessed I am.

Mia in MI

June goal - log food every day (I've made it to day 15!!!!)
    Word of the month – persevere

• Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    exermom - thanks. it's a self esteem issue, you can thank mom for that. as much as i would like to believe it, i just don't and that's ok, that's just the way it is.

welcome lumamar - i'm a rider too. just keep riding, trust me, those muscles will build!

julesatkinson - WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! REBUKE THAT DONUT!!!!!!!!!

i just remembered peeps, i gotta try on my bathing suit to make sure it fits or may need to buy another (might be too big).. yes, it is a 2 piece, wouldn't wear one around here but in a place where i am not known? NO PROBLEM. what happens is that i fake confidence in my body, thinking i look sooo hot when inside myself i REALLY don't think that but the strangers don't know, i fake it pretty good.

Holiday starting Aug 14th and have the bathing suit to fit into. Tight right now, but hoping it will fit by then. I am still apprehensive in front of strangers. I am trying to get over that. I put on weight very fast over the last 5 years. Married a man that is such a fussy eater. Extremely fussy. On a cruise he will sit while everyone is enjoying their appetizers because he doesn't like anything and just wait for his main course which will be meat and potatoes. I'm struggling but I know I'm going to do this!
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    pipcd34 wrote: »

Isn't it funny how we feel that way about wearing a swimsuit if no one knows you! And I always pick out someone on the beach or at the pool who I think is "bigger" than me as my defense! The mental games we play. :)

Cheri