Calorie in vs calories out

Replies

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    tomsarno wrote: »
    To loose weight or loose fat? They are not the same thing.

Your question doesn't make sense. Fat doesn't weigh very much. Weight is mostly water. What is your point?
  • joelschneider45066
    joelschneider45066 Posts: 76 Member
    Dna nailed it! For me, I use my Fitbit Charge HR to measure activity, but log all my food(input) in MFP and use it to establish my daily goal. I ALWAYS get a positive adjustment from Fitbit because it includes all calories I burn in a 24 hour period regardless of dedication "Exercise Time". My Fitbit average daily burn over the last 30 days is about 4,227 calories per day. That then creates an adjustment back to MFP for the difference between what MFP calculated my TDEE should be and what Charge HR says it really was. Some of those calories are from workouts, some are from just breathing .... The adjustment it gives back isn't necessarily 1 for 1 though. For example, yesterday i burned 4,475 calories on Fitbit, on MFP my daily goal was set 3,495. This would represent approximately a 1000 calorie deficit. Now I only actually ate like 2600 calories, so i had more than a 1000 calorie deficit .. but you get the idea ... Right, Wrong , i dunno ... but it works for me .... 70 lbs down in 11 months!
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Holy h3ll bag! I need to get me something that will burn almost 2000 calories per day. That would be awesome!

I'm sure you burn over 2000 in a day. Fitbit measures daily expenditure, not just for exercise.

Whatever works. I'm just a simple folk. What I'm doing works for me so I ain't gonna fix what isn't broken. I suppose people who bike a bunch could burn that amount easily.

I think I may not be communicating this correctly. When fitbit says you burned 2000, that is not for a specific exercise. That is the combined total for the day, including sleeping and watching tv. That's why I said you would easily burn 2000. I can do it with just hitting 10000 steps, and I'm a 51 year old female :). But I agree, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I understand. It calculates every little single bit of movement throughout the day. It is a nice tool that is helpful for a lot of people. I've thought about getting one myself, actually because I'm kind of a gadget guy. Then I look at what I am doing and for some reason, it seems to be working almost perfect for me. Whatever works. I may get one someday just to futz with it. I've looked at the Microsoft Band too. That seems cool.

I used the bodymedia fit for awhile and really liked it. But once summer really hit, I got tired of wearing it on my arm. Then my dog crunched it. I haven't looked into the Microsoft band.

• WhatLouAte
    WhatLouAte Posts: 155 Member
    Love my Fitbit Charge, it really makes me move more!
  • Dellz_B
    Dellz_B Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks for all the comments... I have just been reading through and will sync MFP to my Fitbit and input my activity as sedentary then take it from there. For those who asked, Fitbit calcultes calories burned throughout the day including activity. Since January I have lost 21lbs through diet and exercise but I am unable to exercise for at least 6 weeks due to small surgery. My main concern was piling the pounds back on as rely highly on exercise to help me with my weight loss.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    syndeo wrote: »
    Please cite the studies showing increasing muscle mass while in a deficit.

There are a few such studies floating around.

If you couldn't build muscle while in a calorie deficit, body-recomp wouldn't be a "thing". It can be done; it's just more difficult and a slower process due to the drastic decrease in protein synthesis while in a calorie deficit.

And anyway... while you were jumping all over that guy, his basic point was to raise the question with the OP: do you really want to just lose weight, or lose mostly fat? Because they do require different strategies.

And how you "loose" fat I will never know...
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    mantium999 wrote: »
    how do you burn 1900 calories a day, or am I missing something...

My understanding is the Fitbit attempts to estimate something close to TDEE based on the user's stats, and the motion it senses through the course of the day. Not sure how reliable it is though.

so is it saying that 1900 is OP's TDEE?

I guess I find it confusing as I think if one burns 1900 then you need to eat another 3800 to net 1900...3800 consumed - 1900 burned= 1900 net calories consumed...

Yes, the fitbit is an all day tracker, so it gives you a TDEE estimate for the day.

oh, so that is not an actual burn estimate, but a TDEE estimate based on activity?

Yep. So if it said 1900 and you wanted to lose 1 pound a week, you would subtract 500 from that. But it syncs with MFP, so MFP will take care of the math.

interesting..

and that makes sense..

And for the stuff that it doesn't estimate well, you add the calories manually.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited June 2015
    Of course you can build muscle while losing weight. That's what all the high school athletes do when school's back in session. :D

It's not the fastest way to gain muscle. But it's possible. :)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    OP there is a FitBit users group on MFP that will have other tips and advice on how to best optimize your settings with both programs. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

I have a Flex and my calories burned is about 2150 average. I find it to be fairly accurate, I have it synced with MFP, and lost weight letting MFP set my calorie goal, eating back the calorie adjustments and am currently maintaining relying on the numbers from it.

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member

Just breathing, beating a heart, running a set of functioning kidneys and liver, maintaining skeletal structure, and thinking take up the majority of those calories, right?

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

Just breathing, beating a heart, running a set of functioning kidneys and liver, maintaining skeletal structure, and thinking take up the majority of those calories, right?

Yep. I can burn 800 in exercise calories, but my total daily burn might be 2,100

• michaelmASU
    michaelmASU Posts: 3 Member
    I'm new to this... What is TDEE?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=tdee
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Dellz_B wrote: »
    Hi folks, I have been using the Fitbit Charge HR which tells me I roughly burn 1750-1900 calories on days that do not exercise. To lose weight I'd have to eat less that 1750 cals per day... Does that sound right? It doesn't seem much. With this in mind, how many calories should I aim to eat daily to make sure I lose weight? Thanks

Your Fitbit burn is TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), the number of calories to maintain your current weight. If (and only if) you enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings, eating back your Fitbit adjustments means you're eating TDEE minus deficit.

Connect your accounts at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/fitbit

Enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Set your goal to .5 lb. for every 25 lbs. you're overweight: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Dellz_B wrote: »
    Thanks for all the comments... I have just been reading through and will sync MFP to my Fitbit and input my activity as sedentary then take it from there. For those who asked, Fitbit calcultes calories burned throughout the day including activity. Since January I have lost 21lbs through diet and exercise but I am unable to exercise for at least 6 weeks due to small surgery. My main concern was piling the pounds back on as rely highly on exercise to help me with my weight loss.
    I've been using a Fitbit One for almost 2-1/2 years and it has always been very accurate at estimating my TDEE. It's also very helpful in showing where/why some non-exercise days are 700-800 calories higher than other non-exercise days, and what a small difference "exercise" really makes as far as TDEE goes.

BTW while you are recovering from surgery you should consider putting the deficit on hold.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member

Don't forget brain function! It uses up a good chunk of your BMR. About 30%, I think.

• bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    To the OP, don't worry about not being able to excercise. Most weight loss is from eating right and in a deficit. Until you can get back to excercising just eat in a slight deficit (probably aroung 1200-1500 cals for you I would guess).
  • AhmedMesilhy
    AhmedMesilhy Posts: 3 Member
    tomsarno wrote: »
    To loose weight or loose fat? They are not the same thing.

Could you please explain more about loosing fat ... And difference
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    lol hmm burning 2k a day

like, training for a marathon every day? idk
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Actually, burning only fat and not muscle is simple.
    You see, fat has ~3500 calories per pound stored, but muscle has 1200 calories per pound stored.
    So if you want to lose purely fat and not muscle, don't ever have a deficit that is a divisor of 1200, so don't have deficits that are 100, 200, 300, 400, 600, or 1200.
    Instead, focus on having deficits that are a divisor of 3500. That's why shooting for a 500 calorie deficit is great. All these people that use 1000 have to wait to lose 2 pounds at once instead of losing 1 pound and then 1 pound.