FDA declares partially hydrogenated oil no longer GRAS

Options
brisingr86
brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
Just wondering if people saw this and thoughts:
http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/16/health/fda-trans-fat/

Apparently there was a "tentative determination" back in 2013, but today, FDA has made the final determination that partially hydrogenated oil is not considered GRAS (generally recognized as safe) and manufacturers must remove it from food in the next 3 years. Just wondering what folks think. Is this a step forward? Is this government overreach? Is 3 years too long given there was a tentative determination 2 years ago and companies who haven't already changed should have started the elimination process already?

Replies

• NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It used to be lard that was used, back in the really old days before hyrdrogenated oil came into being via the miracle of food science and food manufacturers.

Well, for good baking and frying it's either saturated fat or hydrogenated oils ... Crisco was supposed to be better than lard and everyone used it all the time ... to fry in, in baked goods, frostings, dumplings, for frying really crsip and tasty french toast. Butter just doesn't make things have the same crispness as hydrogenated oil (Crisco) does, plus it's so loaded with saturated fat that it's also on the no-no list of fats to eat.

History lesson aside, I think the FDA is a bad joke. Just my opinion based on what I've read over time about it's policies and green-lights being in the hands of lobbyists and big bucks.

Is it government overreach? Depends on your politics. I tend to think that we the people have gotten lazy and look to the government to make laws about anything and everything and then we complain that it's reach has gotten to close to home.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I'm glad they're getting rid of it; butter and lard have been around a lot longer then we have and used in moderation are not bad for you. Too much of ANYTHING (even if it's good for you) can be bad. Too bad they haven't done anything with high fructose corn syrup--eating regular sugar (in moderation) is better for you than that stuff.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    It's about time.
  • razzjam334
    razzjam334 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I don't believe they are getting rid of anything they can make a buck off of
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    griffinca2 wrote: »
    I'm glad they're getting rid of it; butter and lard have been around a lot longer then we have and used in moderation are not bad for you. Too much of ANYTHING (even if it's good for you) can be bad. Too bad they haven't done anything with high fructose corn syrup--eating regular sugar (in moderation) is better for you than that stuff.

Butter has been around a lot longer than we have? Were the dinosaurs milking some mammal predecessor of the cow and churning the milk?
    I guess I'll have to give you lard, since you can use it without rendering.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    brisingr86 wrote: »
    Just wondering if people saw this and thoughts:
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/16/health/fda-trans-fat/

Apparently there was a "tentative determination" back in 2013, but today, FDA has made the final determination that partially hydrogenated oil is not considered GRAS (generally recognized as safe) and manufacturers must remove it from food in the next 3 years. Just wondering what folks think. Is this a step forward? Is this government overreach? Is 3 years too long given there was a tentative determination 2 years ago and companies who haven't already changed should have started the elimination process already?
    Great! It's making people sick and we are paying for it. I'm glad I removed the stuff from my diet long ago.