accuracy of the weight loss estimate

I weigh 199 pounds and i left my mfp activity level on lightly active. i try to put my excercise lower than i actually did so it doesnt think i lost more calories than i actually did. Also i dont know exactly how much i ate of something i put it that i ate more. After completing the day it said in five weeks id weigh 170 lbs. i weighed 204 last week but i still want to makes sure this could happen. i will do my best to maintain my current calorie intake. I am 6`1 so im not really fat, but it seems like i can lose weight pretty easily. My calorie thing today was 1760 (goal) - 1657 (food)+1943 (excercise) = 2046 (remaining) . i feel like theres too much remaining. Today i did 3 hours of soccer in the 100 degree weather so i think i the excercise part is accurate. i documented everything i ate and it seems accurate but i feel like theres to many calories remaining. Is the calorie thing accurate?

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    I weigh 199 pounds and i left my mfp activity level on lightly active. i try to put my excercise lower than i actually did so it doesnt think i lost more calories than i actually did. Also i dont know exactly how much i ate of something i put it that i ate more. After completing the day it said in five weeks id weigh 170 lbs. i weighed 204 last week but i still want to makes sure this could happen. i will do my best to maintain my current calorie intake. I am 6`1 so im not really fat, but it seems like i can lose weight pretty easily. My calorie thing today was 1760 (goal) - 1657 (food)+1943 (excercise) = 2046 (remaining) . i feel like theres too much remaining. Today i did 3 hours of soccer in the 100 degree weather so i think i the excercise part is accurate. i documented everything i ate and it seems accurate but i feel like theres to many calories remaining. Is the calorie thing accurate?

How did you calculate your calories burned? 1960 calories for 3 hours of playing soccer seems pretty high.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited June 2015
    If you're logging everything with 100% accuracy (using a food scale, cutting back on exercise burns), the prediction still probably won't be accurate. That's saying if you eat the same every single day for the next 35 days, this is how much you'll weigh.

That being said, yes there are too many calories remaining. You're netting a negative number, which is completely unhealthy. You should be aiming to hit your net goal (intake minus exercise).
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    I've never had it be accurate.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Its never once even been remotely close to accurate for me . Its very far fetched.
  • chunky_lover123
    chunky_lover123 Posts: 13 Member

How did you calculate your calories burned? 1960 calories for 3 hours of playing soccer seems pretty high.

on exercises i put casual soccer for 180 minutes. Im pretty sure thats kinda accurate because it was 100 degrees out and i ran a lot.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    edited June 2015
    It's not accurate, it's just there as an encouragement.

Exercise calories can be overstated as well, but you should be eating back a portion.
  • chunky_lover123
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Its never once even been remotely close to accurate for me . Its very far fetched.

oh well that sucks. i guess ill just have to try to stick to eating less and healthier and exercising and hope for the best
  • chunky_lover123
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I've never had it be accurate.

did the mfp still help?
  • chunky_lover123
    malibu927 wrote: »
    If you're logging everything with 100% accuracy (using a food scale, cutting back on exercise burns), the prediction still probably won't be accurate. That's saying if you eat the same every single day for the next 35 days, this is how much you'll weigh.

That being said, yes there are too many calories remaining. You're netting a negative number, which is completely unhealthy. You should be aiming to hit your net goal (intake minus exercise).

So are you saying i should eat more? I set my goal to losing 2 lbs a week cause thats the max. im not sure how much i have to do to get to my target weight by august so im cutting back as much as i can. my target weight is 185. However i dont feel hungry even though im used to eating a lot, which is why i was ok with leaving the calorie at a negative number.
  • chunky_lover123
    bpetrosky wrote: »

Exercise calories can be overstated as well, but you should be eating back a portion.

do you mean i should eat more?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited June 2015

So are you saying i should eat more? I set my goal to losing 2 lbs a week cause thats the max. im not sure how much i have to do to get to my target weight by august so im cutting back as much as i can. my target weight is 185. However i dont feel hungry even though im used to eating a lot, which is why i was ok with leaving the calorie at a negative number.

Yes. You're supposed to eat back some (50-75% maximum) of your exercise calories to fuel your body. Also, with 10-15 pounds to lose, you should be aiming for half a pound a week to minimize muscle loss. It takes time to lose--you didn't gain it in two months, so it's not going to come off that fast.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    I am 100% sure you are WAY overestimating your calories burned.
  • chunky_lover123

Yes. You're supposed to eat back some (50-75% maximum) of your exercise calories to fuel your body. Also, with 10-15 pounds to lose, you should be aiming for half a pound a week to minimize muscle loss. It takes time to lose--you didn't gain it in two months, so it's not going to come off that fast.
    ok ill try eating back some of the exercise calories. Do you think i can get to 185 by august without being unhealthy? Besides im doing weight lifting every two days so i wont lose muscle.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,809 Member
    1. The little statement that says, "if today is like everyday, you'll weight ____ in 5 weeks" is not necessarily accurate. It is only accurate if you eat that exact number of calories every single day. My calories vary so each day there's a new message. However, twice I noted what it said and put that number in my calendar 5 weeks in the future. Both times I hit that weight about 2 weeks before MFP said I would. :smiley:

2. If you are not entering your food accurately, who knows how many calories you are actually consuming. You say ...

MFPs calorie counter is quite accurate, but you have to do your part. You have to enter exact amounts. This means picking up a <$20 scale at your local grocery store or department store and weighing everything.

3. However, MFP's exercise calculator is not particularly accurate. It tends to overestimate calorie burned. So 3 hours of brisk walking (i.e a game of soccer) is probably more like 200 cal/hour or 600 calories all together. If you actually jogged for the full 3 hours, maybe double that.

The 100 degree weather makes no difference.

• chunky_lover123
    PixelPuff wrote: »
    I am 100% sure you are WAY overestimating your calories burned.
    im pretty sure im not. Not a lot at least. I played for 180 minutes with a couple minutes total break time to drink water. I am heavy for my height so i lose more calories and its really hot so i sweated out A LOT
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky wrote: »

do you mean i should eat more?

Suppose your calorie goal is 1400. You log 500 cals of exercise in MFP, so it raises your calorie goal to 1900. You can eat about 1650 cals, (1400 + 250 = 1650). That way, if the exercise burn estimate is overestimated, you aren't eating into your deficit and slowing your weight loss.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,809 Member
    ... and its really hot so i sweated out A LOT

Temperature ... and sweat ... make no difference.

• chunky_lover123
    edited June 2015
    Machka9 wrote: »
    1. The little statement that says, "if today is like everyday, you'll weight ____ in 5 weeks" is not necessarily accurate. It is only accurate if you eat that exact number of calories every single day. My calories vary so each day there's a new message. However, twice I noted what it said and put that number in my calendar 5 weeks in the future. Both times I hit that weight about 2 weeks before MFP said I would. :smiley:

2. If you are not entering your food accurately, who knows how many calories you are actually consuming. You say ...

MFPs calorie counter is quite accurate, but you have to do your part. You have to enter exact amounts. This means picking up a <$20 scale at your local grocery store or department store and weighing everything.

3. However, MFP's exercise calculator is not particularly accurate. It tends to overestimate calorie burned. So 3 hours of brisk walking (i.e a game of soccer) is probably more like 200 cal/hour or 600 calories all together. If you actually jogged for the full 3 hours, maybe double that.

The 100 degree weather makes no difference.

i sprinted probably for around 15 minutes total and ran for like an hour and a half total. For the rest i was jogging or walking around. And according to the internet high temperatures do increase calorie burn
    And i try to be as accurate as possible when writing down what i eat. When eating fruit i try eating in the amounts that are on the mfp app just so its easier. For example a cup of strawberries. When i eat actual home made food i put the amount that i put on my plate and when i eat something with a barcode i put it on the app like it is. When i put homemade food in the app i try putting a little more than i have just so im sure that all of the food im eating is on there. its better than putting less than i ate
  • lookingforalaska17
    lookingforalaska17 Posts: 2 Member
    edited June 2015
    I don't think this site is the most accurate with the input of exercises, it just gives a ballpark figure.
  • bpetrosky
    I have been on Implanon for a total of 4 years (had it replaced at the 3 year mark). When I initially got my first one inserted, I gained 10kg within a few months. The hormones increased my appetite so I ate more. I have slowly gained a little weight over the past 4 years but I just pass that off as not eating healthily. I have just started my weight loss journey and I'm hoping my Implanon does not effect my ability to lose weight.

This really doesn't have anything to do with this thread. If you want to discuss this, start a new thread.