How can anyone eat the RDA of potassium??

2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    potassium is not required to be put on food labels and since that's where many entries in the data base come from, it is likely that you are eating things with potassium but it's just not listed.

At any rate, potassium deficiency is pretty rare...eat your veg and fruit and get a whole lot of other good, whole food nutrition and you'll be just fine.

I take a diuretic so I really work to keep my potassium intake up...I drink at least 1 low sodium V8 juice daily, I drink coconut water regularly, and I eat a lot of potatoes along with a ton of veg in general.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Two more great potassium foods are pomegranates and Cornish game hens.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Where do you get the 4700 number from? I thought it was 3500.

The current daily value used on food labels in the US is 3500 mg, yes. But the new dietary reference intake is 4700 mg. There are plans to update the food labels to change the potassium recommendation to 4700 mg. Potassium will also be required on food labels after the update. Here's a link from the FDA and a list of changes from a food label company.

Good to know. I remember reading about the labeling changes but seem to have skipped over the increased RDA.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    btw another thing
    Lots of people dont log small things like herbs and spices

Herbs and spices ( i use them a lot on a daily base) have a lot of potassium too :)

Thanks for the hint. I just looked it up and many of my favorite seasonings are on the high end, parsley, basil, cumin, rosemary, oregano, marjoram and many more.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    btw another thing
    Lots of people dont log small things like herbs and spices

Herbs and spices ( i use them a lot on a daily base) have a lot of potassium too :)

Thanks for the hint. I just looked it up and many of my favorite seasonings are on the high end, parsley, basil, cumin, rosemary, oregano, marjoram and many more.

yes indeed they are full of potassium :) I have a lot of fresh ( own garden) and love it...with the benefit of all the potassium in it. And when you use a lot it adds up.

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    I try to avoid it because of a metabolic disorder. LOL. Sadly, I love spinach and broccoli....
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    If you are eating processed food then you are not likely getting the RDA, if you prepare your own veggies use the USDA data entries to accurately track it.
    But to answer your question, I get the RDA by eating about a lot of potassium rich veggies and fruit every day. Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, spinach, bananas etc.
  • Cave_Goose
    Cave_Goose Posts: 156 Member
    Bananas, Skim Milk, Bran Flakes, Protein Shakes, Greek Yogurt, Fresh Veggies.

I use to think the number was impossible. Now I'm nearly always over my RDA of potassium.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    I used to have a documented deficiency so I looked into this a lot. If you are concerned, when logging foods ONLY use entries that show a number for potassium. Most foods have some, especially ALL fruits and veggies do. For example, I always log my salad mix as Dole brand and it isn't because that entry shows the potassium and my store brand doesn't. Supplement yourself with Low Sodium V8 (almost 1000 in a glass), NuSalt or other salt substitutes, eat greens, look for tomato products with high numbers, If you have calories and carbs to spare, dried fruits often have a lot, I used apricots. Lima beans have around 1000 mg, Swiss Chard, Beet greens, spinach, kale...those are high rollers. Bananas are actually kind of weak in comparison.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Most Americans don't get enough potassium. On top of it, we get too much sodium.

Google for foods high in potassium, but don't take supplements unless you're told to take them by your doctor...I mean potassium-specific ones, not a little bit in a multivitamin. :)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    I try to avoid it because of a metabolic disorder. LOL. Sadly, I love spinach and broccoli....

You try to avoid eating potassium?
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Your doc can actually do a specific blood test that measures the vitamins, minerals, etc. in your blood to see if you are low (or high) in something. That way you actually know whether you need or don't need to supplement anything.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    PikaKnight wrote: »

You try to avoid eating potassium?

Yes. It causes pain.

http://www.orpha.net/consor/cgi-bin/Disease_Search.php?lng=EN&data_id=610&Disease(s)/group of diseases=Potassium-aggravated-myotonia&title=Potassium-aggravated-myotonia&search=Disease_Search_Simple

My particular mutation is on the same gene as myotonia fluctuans, peramens, and acetazolamide-responsive myotonia, but it's in a different location BECAUSE I JUST HAVE TO BE MEEEEEE.

Or something. Anyway, it means that my family's disorder shares a lot of traits with other mytonias on the same gene. So, yeah, I try not to eat to much potassium.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited June 2015
    I'm over 6,000mg for the day... potatoes, veggies, meat, dairy, fruit. Then again... I've made all my own entries and added in potassium from USDA Database.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    seems like a lot of potassium
  • MamaBirdBoss
    I do, however, dump tons of sodium on everything. :) It helps.