TWO QUESTIONS - Coffee and Protein Shakes

Replies

• LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    I make my protein shake with coffee instead of water :) For a little pre-workout pick-me-up....
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    dbienz wrote: »
    Side note but I sometimes use my protein and put PB2 in it (a powdered peanut butter) with a little bit of coffee grounds! I am a coffee lover... like obsessed, drink it every day, Seattle-coffee-snob status... and the peanut butter shake with the coffee kick and taste to it is amazing!

Second this idea. I make a smoothie with water, ice cubes, chocolate protein powder, coffee grounds (i use instant) and a few drops of milk for me. Sometimes half a banana or some PB2. It has a nice texture and tastes amazing!
  • LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    I also mix in some banana and/or PB2 with my chocolate or vanilla protein powder. I'm pretty sure I stole that idea from someone in these forums....
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    I drink a few cups of coffee a day, and I found a protein powder that dissolves completely in it, it's from complete nutrition, I get vanilla bean and now I don't need creamer or sugar/truvia I was using. I also put it in the Ninja with some ice when I'm feeling frappy
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    I drink a cup of coffee every day with 2 Tblsps of half & half. I don't like sugar and the fat in the cream cuts the bitterness.

Can't help on the protein powder.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Black coffee every morning - 2 or 3 cups. Aria Protein Powder from Trader Joe's.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    But what if we mix our coffee with our protein powder? ;) It's quite tasty. I'm a certified coffee-holic and I have managed to cut myself down to two cups in the morning and then my lunch smoothie. I don't know if that's a lot or not, but I used to drink coffee all day every day, with cream and sugar. Now I have it in the morning with just a splash of milk.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited June 2015
    Coffee with nonfat milk. Can't function without it. I don't eat (drink?) protein powder.
  • Buttons0929
    Buttons0929 Posts: 1 Member
    I have used Arbonne in the past and its a completely different type of protein powder than the ones mentioned above. It is not Whey based, it is a pea protein powder. It is good from a meal replacement standpoint, but your body does not digest it the same as the powders mentioned above. I have friends that still use it but mostly because they avoid dairy in general and didn't want a Whey based protein powder.

So to answer your question I'll ask you a question. What are you trying to gain using it? I used it during the Arbonne 30 Day detox which does have good short term results but if you are looking for a long term Supplement I would suggest looking at the protein powders listed above. The Arbonne powder is very expensive, and I don't think it has the same muscle recovery benefits as a Whey based powder. But you can do some research on that because I'm not an expert by any means.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    kwtilbury wrote: »

Rich shot this just after he left Mutant, where he shilled for their protein and "weight gainer" products, and just before he launched his own line of supplements.

Oh, really? I thought this video was a bit contradictory seeing as he made a video about the Mutant Whey thing saying "you gotta eat big to get big", was basically bigging it up and probably getting paid for it. I guess some of his new supplements are sort of tailored towards the darker side of bodybuilding, steroids etc?
  • Klhernandez81
    Klhernandez81 Posts: 62 Member
    I will just comment on coffee, as I am a coffee addict.

I have a cup or two before the gym/crossfit with a dash of unsweetened cashew milk or flax milk and stevia, about 8-10calories (only 25 cals in a cup of both types of milk and a ton of protein in the flax).

If I want a latte at Starbucks, I get a venti or grande iced Americano (water and espresso) splash of soy (I don't do dairy) and a sugar free flavor shot. It has at 40-60 calories, you have to stress the "splash."

So I guess I pick coffee or espresso, add as little possible unsweetened non-dairy option (lowest calorie), and then stevia, truvia, or a sugar free sweetener.

• cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    I am also a protein powder and coffee mixer! I usually use a mocha k cup and sugar free mocha or hazelnut syrup. I will add a few coffee ice cubes or toss it all in the blender for a frap. Good stuff! I like the idea of putting in some powdered peanut butter.
  • msperkey3
    msperkey3 Posts: 93 Member
    I drink coffee with stevia, half & half and tad bit of butter pecan creamer

I use protein supplements: ON gold standard powder , kroger simple truth vanilla protein powder, quest bars, and just got a grape flavored protein powder in today
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    kwtilbury wrote: »

Rich shot this just after he left Mutant, where he shilled for their protein and "weight gainer" products, and just before he launched his own line of supplements.

Oh, really? I thought this video was a bit contradictory seeing as he made a video about the Mutant Whey thing saying "you gotta eat big to get big", was basically bigging it up and probably getting paid for it. I guess some of his new supplements are sort of tailored towards the darker side of bodybuilding, steroids etc?

Exactly.

His new supplements are a pre-workout a powder that's ironically named "Real Food" and a few other things.

Rich doesn't shy away from his steroid/HGH use, but his supplement line is legal.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    I drink iced coffee every day! I have it with some lower carb milk and sugar free sweetener. Some mornings I shake it up with 1/2 scoop of my favorite chocolate or vanilla protein powder as a supplement.

Yep. I discovered this recently. I take what's left in the caraffe from the morning coffee, put it in a blender bottle with protein powder and ice. Great afternoon preworkout pick me up.
  • palmettoadventurer
    palmettoadventurer Posts: 51 Member
    Let's not discuss exactly how much coffee I drink during the day, haha. I take it with Splenda and a bit of soy milk if I'm at home. If I'm at work, I use the powdered non-dairy creamer instead of soy milk.
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 231 Member
    I just use creamer or half and half, I am not giving up my coffee. Sometimes I just mix the coffee with my protein shake so I dont have to carry two things out the door :)
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Coffee: Black. Preferably brewed at home.

Iced coffee: Black as well. Brew at home as well. Here's a tip: Use a french press. Brew the coffee as you normally would, but use cold water instead of boiling water. Fill the press and put it into the fridge and let it sit for 12-48 hours before drinking it. It will taste so good!
  • Tmdesir
    Tmdesir Posts: 68 Member
    edited June 2015
    I drink my coffee black, I still sometimes miss my iced coffee with flavor and cream and sugar but I don't want the extra calories. I normally use chocolate whey protein with unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I'll buy whatever kind is on sale:)
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    coffee- at home- black or with almond/soy milk, and a packet of sweet'n'low (its sweeter than the other artificial sweetners on the market

protien powder-
    I am a vegetarian who is lactose intolerant, so protien powder is helpful for meeting my protien goals. I take it in the morning, mixed with some soymilk or orange juice. I use nutrabiotic vanilla rice protien powder (it was cheap on amazon) but there are plenty of others on the market.