Almost no fat diet

I've been suffering from headaches and some dizziness lately, my brain function hasn't felt "right," so i took a look at my diet and what I saw scared me. I've had several days where without realizing it I've taken in less than 1% of my daily calories from fat. This is insane! I don't know how I've been doing it so long without ill effects. The only problem is, I'm used to eating high quantities of low calorie low fat foods like yogurt, egg beaters, low fat protein bars etc. How can I add fat into my diet without gaining weight?? It doesn't fill me up the way it seems to fill up others.

Replies

• markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    why are you eating low fat stuff ? It seems to be a problem for people to realise that the fat from food just doesn't 100% turn into fat on your body

but, try eating normal versions of the foods you enjoy and check your macros again. Just because you're used to eating certain foods , doesn't mean you cannot change and I strongly suggest you revisit what you are eating and why
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Stay at/under your calorie goal and you won't gain weight
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Almost no fat in your diet is extremely unhealthy for a whole host of reasons. I highly advise not buying into the low fat diet fad/trend.
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Fat content does not matter. Only calories.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Brolympus wrote: »

This of course is false.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    I've been suffering from headaches and some dizziness lately, my brain function hasn't felt "right," so i took a look at my diet and what I saw scared me. I've had several days where without realizing it I've taken in less than 1% of my daily calories from fat. This is insane! I don't know how I've been doing it so long without ill effects. The only problem is, I'm used to eating high quantities of low calorie low fat foods like yogurt, egg beaters, low fat protein bars etc. How can I add fat into my diet without gaining weight?? It doesn't fill me up the way it seems to fill up others.

If you are eating high quantities of low fat food it doesn't sound like those fill you up well either. So switch them out for full fat foods and adjust your calories via the volume you ingest.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    edited June 2015
    replace some of your carbs for fat. If left to my own devices my diet is practically fat free, so I have to go back and add fat in. today I am having some almonds, soynut-butter, and full fat soy-gurt to get my fat macro on target.

Edited to add- I usually snack on rice cakes, for 60 calories per cake, so I am replacing those 60 calories of rice cake with 60 calories of almonds. Make sense? I am not adding, i am replacing.
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Healthy fats are good for you! Avocado, nuts, cheese (in small quantities). Fat doesn't make you fat. Carbs and processed foods are the enemies in my opinion! As long as you stay under calorie goal, you will be fine!!!
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Growing up and being heavily influenced by the "no fat / low fat" fad I also have a hard time including healthy fats into my diet. I have been doing good over the past several weeks and am now a true believer of the idea behind eating fat to lose weight! Plus it fills you up, and it tastes good. Also, you're not getting the additives that companies put into their products to replace the fat content. Like the poster above said... I don't add, I replace. Just my own two cents :smile:
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Brolympus wrote: »

This of course is false.

OP is anxious about eating fat thinking it will make her gain weight. A calorie surplus is required to gain weight. Don't add to her anxiety, she is fine eating some fats. As long as she is in a deficit, she will continue to lose weight.
  • Runningforlove
    Runningforlove Posts: 17 Member
    markiend wrote: »
    why are you eating low fat stuff ? It seems to be a problem for people to realise that the fat from food just doesn't 100% turn into fat on your body

but, try eating normal versions of the foods you enjoy and check your macros again. Just because you're used to eating certain foods , doesn't mean you cannot change and I strongly suggest you revisit what you are eating and why

I know how fat works in your body, its calorie energy just like any other food. But, I also know that there are fats your body cannot produce that help with optimal brain function, that must be ingested in food. I'm worried I'm not getting enough of these. The problem with eating full fat versions is that it completely changes how I'm used to eating.

Example:
    I might normally eat a whole tub of non fat Greek yogurt (4 cups) with berries for breakfast which would be around 520 calories, and fill me up a lot!

If I'm eating the full fat version of yogurt I could only eat about 1.9 cups of yogurt with no berries for the exact amount of calories, and it won't fill be up as much or be as enjoyable. (I like the feeling of being very full.)

So my whole style of eating would have to change, and what I'm most scared about is that if I overeat carrots, its no biggie, maybe an extra 200 calories for eating the whole bag....when I overeat nuts? Oh god, it could be thousands of calories. Nuts add up FAST. One cup of nuts and you've had half your food for the entire day!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Peanut butter...the end
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    markiend wrote: »

I know how fat works in your body, its calorie energy just like any other food. But, I also know that there are fats your body cannot produce that help with optimal brain function, that must be ingested in food. I'm worried I'm not getting enough of these. The problem with eating full fat versions is that it completely changes how I'm used to eating.

Example:
    I might normally eat a whole tub of non fat Greek yogurt (4 cups) with berries for breakfast which would be around 520 calories, and fill me up a lot!

If I'm eating the full fat version of yogurt I could only eat about 1.9 cups of yogurt with no berries for the exact amount of calories, and it won't fill be up as much or be as enjoyable. (I like the feeling of being very full.)

So my whole style of eating would have to change, and what I'm most scared about is that if I overeat carrots, its no biggie, maybe an extra 200 calories for eating the whole bag....when I overeat nuts? Oh god, it could be thousands of calories. Nuts add up FAST. One cup of nuts and you've had half your food for the entire day!

OP do you have a proper diagnosed eating disorder ?

• Runningforlove
    Runningforlove Posts: 17 Member
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Almost no fat in your diet is extremely unhealthy for a whole host of reasons. I highly advise not buying into the low fat diet fad/trend.

I'm not doing it intentionally. I'm not actively avoiding fats, more just constantly trying to get my bang for my buck calorie wise, and realizing all of the foods I love are 0 fat.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    How tall are you, how much do you weigh, have you been losing weight and what is your average caloric intake?
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    As you've noticed, extreme low fat is dangerous. You should not go below 20% of your daily calories from fat. 20% - 35% is recommended. Adding fat will NOT make you gain weight as long as you stay within your calorie goal. If your goal is say 1400 calories, as long as you stay at that, you will continue to lose. You may find that the higher fat foods will keep you full longer, so it will be easy to stay within your goals.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I'm a bit low in fat too, for the same reason. I love eating high volume so end up getting low fat yogurt, lean meat, etc. I don't even cook with oil. But, we already know the answer to our own question...right? Eat within your calorie allowance, add fat back into yogurt, meat, cook with oil, eat some avocado..etc.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    AJ_G wrote: »
    Peanut butter...the end

:drinker:
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    If you don't get mono and polysaturated fats your gallbladder will quit functioning properly. They are the good fats found in nuts,fish,avacoados,sunflower oil ect. The only fats you don't need in high quantity is saturated and trans. I suggest you get some walnuts and avacoados and eat daily until u feel better then every other day. This is serious

• kimberlyjoy159
    kimberlyjoy159 Posts: 23 Member
    My favorite way to eat healthy fats is to take a whole avocado, a hard boiled egg, minced onion and a can of water based tuna, mash it up and eat it in lettuce wraps or half a pita. One recipe makes two servings for me. Also, I really focus on recognizing physical hunger versus the desire to eat. I am finding that I can avoid eating for the sake of eating by avoiding my eating triggers. When I am anxious to eat and am really not hungry , I spend time figuring out what it is I really need and meeting that need a better way.