Your advice - How to build strength in legs and glutes when my knees are shot?

Hi there.

I am almost 52 years old and I have osteo arthritis in my knees.

I am completely new to fitness. I was obese last summer, and I have lost 52lb and unfortunately didn't exercise while losing weight. I have a physical job so I thought that would be enough to maintain existing muscle. It wasn't. I wasted off my glutes and thighs something chronic. I have been lifting my husband's hand weights for a few months and have got a quite a strong top half now I think. I do sit-ups and press ups as well. But my thighs and bottom - there's just nothing there - skin and bone. My knees are in very bad shape and hurt for days if I try to do any exercise with weights there, like kettlebell, squats, lunges, lifting weights from the ground up - it's agony.

Is there anything else I could do to build some real strength in my lower half? There are no gyms or pools anywhere near me, so it would have to be something I can do without that. I have attached some pics which might show where I am at now.

Thanks for any and all comments. It could be that there is nothing I can do, but would love some opinions.

xs1g9qa278ec.jpg

7zslj1gitam3.jpg

9ox0mx84dvbt.jpg

Replies

• TrailBlazinMN
    TrailBlazinMN Posts: 209 Member
    edited June 2015
    I know you didn't mention your SI joint but the first two exercises in this article might be a good start.

https://www.dellanave.com/fix-your-squeaky-si-joint/

See how they feel and if it's still too much, maybe just using an elevated weight (for the deadlift). Also, since the majority of people are quad dominant, hamstring work is essential.

I would highly recommend some ankle weights so you can do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hBdTNtuXAA

Good luck and keep us posted!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Dang, lady, you look amazing!

One thing to do would be get a referral (if you need it) to a physical therapist. With knee issues, it's best to know what you're dealing with so you can address the problem safely. I can tell you what's worked for me, but that might be exactly wrong for you if you have functional *knee* problems, instead of overcompensation for other stuff problems like me.

In *my* case, knee issues are caused or exacerbated by weak glutes and hip muscles. I start with no-impact bodyweight stuff (which I still do faithfully), and from there would work up to bodyweight work before trying *anything* with weights.

You might also be able to build some leg strength with cycling (indoor or outdoor), though you would want to be *sure* to get a professional--from a bike shop--fit on your bike to make sure you aren't stressing out your knees.

This is my basic hip routine. I dunno, it could be a place to start:
    http://www.njsportsmed.com/files/myrtl_routine.pdf
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Trailblazin thank you very much! I will look into that - fantastic.

Cheshire - Thank you!

Great help from you both :)
  • TrailBlazinMN
    TrailBlazinMN Posts: 209 Member
    This is my basic hip routine. I dunno, it could be a place to start:
    http://www.njsportsmed.com/files/myrtl_routine.pdf

I have done a lot of those exercises and they are no joke! Anyone that does these will quickly realize how weak their hip muscles are. Good recommendations!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Is it that adding weight from a vertical puts too much pressure on your knees? Can you do squats and glute bridges with no weights? What about bodyweight partial squats, where you don't go to parallel?

For hamstrings, if you can't do deadlifts, you could try a sliding reverse lunge - just don't go as deep into the lunge as this person does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXN8e_lNNLo
    Also try split squats or regular reverse lunges. With these, to avoid putting too much crazy on that front bent knee, keep your shin straight - don't let your bent knee go past that vertical line, and don't go too deep. You can also keep your feet a little closer together.

You can increase the demand on your muscles without using weights by slowing down your movements, especially on the "up" (eccentric) part of the movement, or by pausing at different points in the movement, or by doing single leg exercises.

Or by adding bands, if you can do that.
    http://bretcontreras.com/band-glute-exercises-for-the-win-erin-mccombs-intriguing-training-methods/

If you can't bend your knees without pain, try these straight-leg exercises:

If you have access to a cable machine at a gym, you can try straight leg raises with the cable attached to your ankle. Raise your leg to the front, back, and side. Or, you can attach the cable to just above or below one knee, and raise it to your chest, slowly, and then straighten that leg and kick it behind you. (You can do bodyweight versions of these too, obviously.)

Also try a bodyweight back extension on a roman chair - use your glutes and hams to pull yourself up
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ2C7EpmlCI

These are all exercises I do regularly :)
  • tomatoey
    and second cycling for sure :)
  • opalsqueak007
    Tomatoey - thank you very much! I am going to give all these suggestions a good read and try them. My knees hurt when I bend them.

This is all new information to me, so thank you to all of you.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    I had been having knee problems a few years ago when I started cycling on a stationary bike. The bike didn't seem to help and it was frustrating because my workouts were limited by knee pain rather than cardiovascular capacity. Cycling didn't seem to hurt my knees further, but it wasn't helping either. Then I read about recumbent bikes being used for physical therapy and knee rehabilitation, so I did something dumb: I spent $500 on a recumbent exercise bike from Amazon. It was returnable if it didn't work out, of course, but once I had unpacked and assembled it, I knew there was no way in hell I was going to get all the different parts back into that box. It worked out though. I don't know why a recumbent felt so much better, but there was no knee pain, and I finally started making progress on the bike.

Not being content getting away with just one dumb thing, that February I went out and spent $1200 on a high end hybrid bike. (Prices are good in February.) It wasn't until I got it home that I realized I might not even be able to ride it. So that weekend I went out in 29 degree weather for my first ride. It felt great. Except for the cold. I continued riding through the spring, summer and fall, and never had a problem with my knees, even on the 50+ mile trips.

The following year I started weight lifting. My knees were again an issue, and I had to take it slow - very slow - but my knees have been getting stronger or better adapted or whatever is going on down there. I'm still not lifting what many would consider heavy weights, but I can push myself enough that I can feel it the following day in my glutes and quads when walking down the stairs. Except on some days. Those days I can feel it just walking on level surfaces. My basic leg exercises are deadlifts with a pair of 30 lb dumbbells, and Bulgarian split squats (one leg does most of the work while the other leg is extended behind me up on a bench for balance) with 7.5 lb dumbbells. The split squats are the ones that really test me. My deadlifts are relatively wimpy, but I still don't feel like I've got the form down right, and I'm taking my time increasing weights until I think I've got a handle on it.

Physical therapy would be the best solution. Or, if you're more like me and inclined to try something just to see if it'll help, a combination of cycling and weight lifting should work. Just don't take on too much too soon. Go slow and keep focused on mobility and joint health before worrying about lifting a lot of weight.
  • opalsqueak007
    edited June 2015
    Thank you very much, Jim. That's so useful. Also very useful to hear what size weights you are using. I agree about form. I think I do strange things with my lower body to get the weights moved that I shouldn't be doing, if you know what I mean, just to get it accomplished, when that is not really the point. I think now that I have been trying to lift weights that are too heavy. I have an exercise bike,but for some reason, I don't use it. I don't know why. I will try it out. Also, I have wondered about a recumbent bike.

I have no problems with the top half of my body, despite arthritis of hands. I think my hands are better, if anything, surprisingly, since I started lifting.

Thanks for the info about dead lifts and Bulgarian split squats. I need to get educated about this as well.

I do no cardio at all, apart from in my day job, but I never get out of breath, ever. My knees will stop me first. That's why I went for lifting weight to try and build some muscle that I have wasted off and gain strength. I guess my cardio vascular fitness is very poor, but I have no idea.

Thanks for your reply :)
  • hobbeskastiel
    hobbeskastiel Posts: 221 Member
    I didn't read every response so if i'm repeating someone...opps. Do you use any kind of knee wraps or knee braces to take some of the strain off the knees? It might help some.
  • Koshkaboo
    Koshkaboo Posts: 6 Member
    I have almost no cartilage in my left knee (bone on bone) and am very limited in what I can do. My doctor told me not to do lunges or squats. In the gym I am able to do a leg press (being careful not to bend my knee more than 90 degrees) and leg curls. But, most people don't have the equipment to do that at home. I can now do step ups. A year ago, though, those hurt me. In my case, my doctor did send me to do physical therapy and I got a series of exercise I could do using resistance bands. You might talk to your doctor to see if you could see a physical therapist. Even one session might be able to show you how to do a variety of exercises using resistance bands that would be safe to do and would build up your strength.

I do use a recumbent bike. I find that I do have to be careful about not getting the resistance too high, but the bike does help.
  • tomatoey
    Tomatoey - thank you very much! I am going to give all these suggestions a good read and try them. My knees hurt when I bend them.

This is all new information to me, so thank you to all of you.

No problem :)
    I hope some of them are helpful; my knee issues are not as bad as yours, and I would definitely listen to any pain and let that be your limit until a physiotherapist can see you.
  • opalsqueak007
    Koshkaboo wrote: »
    I have almost no cartilage in my left knee (bone on bone) and am very limited in what I can do. My doctor told me not to do lunges or squats. In the gym I am able to do a leg press (being careful not to bend my knee more than 90 degrees) and leg curls. But, most people don't have the equipment to do that at home. I can now do step ups. A year ago, though, those hurt me. In my case, my doctor did send me to do physical therapy and I got a series of exercise I could do using resistance bands. You might talk to your doctor to see if you could see a physical therapist. Even one session might be able to show you how to do a variety of exercises using resistance bands that would be safe to do and would build up your strength.

I do use a recumbent bike. I find that I do have to be careful about not getting the resistance too high, but the bike does help.

Thank you for your post! I have similar restrictions. I will follow your advice. I am so pleased to hear that you can now do step ups, and I'm sorry to hear about your knee, because I know what it's like. Even when I walk up the stairs, mine crack like someone is opening a packet of potato chips and eating them slowly.
  • opalsqueak007
    I didn't read every response so if i'm repeating someone...opps. Do you use any kind of knee wraps or knee braces to take some of the strain off the knees? It might help some.

Thank you - I have never looked into this but I feel it would help me - especially when lifting. I will look into it.