Stuck in a rut - long term low calories.

Replies

• mmccallum474
    mmccallum474 Posts: 12 Member
    Thank you jmorm.

I hope you're doing okay. Have you been able to maintain your weight or are you still trying to lose?
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Low energy is much more likely due to lack of exercise.

Exercise and eat more.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Hi everyone,

I've been wanting to post for a while as I would like some advice. I am a 25 year old female, 5 ft 5 and 120 lbs. For about 4 years I have been eating 1300 calories a day, with a bit more on weekends including alcohol. I am currently maintains my weigh overall but experience 1-3 pound fluctuations over the week.

Common sense tells me this is not enough. I experienced quite low energy levels several days a week, sometimes get headaches and can get extremely agitated if I have not eaten. I have also not had a regular period in over two years. My doctor says this is nothing to worry about.

I have always been conscious of food but not to the extent I am now. As a child I was overweight and always 'chubby' but was never preoccupied by thoughts of calories.

At present I usually pre-log my calories to ensure I stay around 1300. I do wonder what would happen if I increased and deep down I think I want to try to do so but as yet I have not had the courage.

The thing that gets me most now is that I cannot eat a particular food just because I enjoy it. I know the calorie count of everything and will always go for the lower option even if I would prefer the taste of something else. The feeling of losing weight is one that I enjoy. I weigh myself daily and my mood is dictated by the number in the scale even though I know that fluctuations are normal.

I am scared that if I increase I will gain weight. On the other hand, I would like to increase my calories to see if I feel better.

Sorry for the long post. Have any of you experienced this? What happened when you increased your calories? Thanks.

Just ran your info and your maintenance calorie goal, with NO exercise, is 1,550 calories a day. So something isn't right here. Are you accurate in your tracking? Are you weighing your food? Also the missed period thing is concerning. I'd get a second opinion on that from a different doctor. There may be something deeper going on here that's causing issues.

Yeaaaaaaaaah but MFP's sedentary level is more than I actually get without conscious effort. By several hundred calories. Which is really depressing. LOL. Fitbit's numbers are sadly lower.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    I am 31 years old 5'6 and 115 lbs, I eat 2000-2200 calories per day. I also work out 5 days per week. Not getting your period is extremely concerning and shouldn't be taken lightly. I lost my period when I was 19 years old when my weight dropped to 100 lbs. I remained at that weight until I was 26 and then increased to 115 lbs, my periods still did not come back. I increased my weight to 130 lbs by eating about 3500 cals/day, my periods still did not come back. I dropped back down to 115 because I didn't feel comfortable at 130. The no periods became a HUGE issue when my husband and I started trying to have children 2 years ago. I have now had to undergo months of fertility treatments (which isn't cheap and incredibly invasive and time consuming) and am luckily finally pregnant. I would strongly suggest changing your eating habits and having further evaluation of your lost periods. It may not seem like a huge deal now, but it will be when you want to start a family. I know we all want to be a certain weight but you have to eat for your health, with consistent balanced and nutritious meals and include some form of exercise throughout the week. Feeling like crap with low energy doesn't equal healthy.
  • JoshLibby
    JoshLibby Posts: 214 Member
    It's because your body has gotten use to eating such a low amount of calories and slowed your metabolism to survive... Your first goal is a plan to get the ball rolling, so can achieve your recommended calories over time. Unfortunately "working out" will not be your best bet because you'll just be burning off the calories you need to get to your daily intake. You should start very slow, like walking to lower stress, 45 mins to an hour every other day. People will not believe you're eating so little and not losing weight, but it's very true and happens all the time, that is why there are personal trainers and nutritionist for you. Don't always go by what you read on the internet, some people don't eat enough, some eat too much, everyone is different! I believe you're at the point where you really need to contact a professional nutritionist with experience to help you. It's going to be a journey. I've trained someone with your problem, so don't feel you're alone. Good luck!
  • mmccallum474
    edited June 2015
    I though I'd post an update about my progress since my first post.

Since the beginning of June I've been hitting about 1450 calories a day with more (about 1600) on Saturdays. My weight fluctuates by a pound or two but has stayed at 119-120lbs on most days. If anything I would say my weight has fluctuated less than before.

I definitely have more energy, especially in the afternoon and I have had only one slight headache when before I was getting them about twice a week.

My plan is to slowly increase by 50-100 calories a week until I am eating a more realistic amount.

Thanks to everyone who posted replies.

• aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Great job. Keep in mind that more food=more energy=more calories burned... You can eat 1300 calories and burn 1300 calories to maintain your weight (as you have been) or you can eat 2000 calories and burn 2000 calories to maintain your weight -- my preference is to eat more! With more energy, I am more likely to work out more but also just to move more during the day. My daily activity burn is much higher because I dont just collapse on the couch - I am constantly moving, because I have the energy to do so.

So keep slowly adding calories, and be aware of the new energy you feel and take advantage of it! There really is no "high end" limit - you could maintain on 3000 calories if you really, really, really wanted to (though I like the 2200-2400 range :) ). You have become an expert at manipulating and controling the calories in part - you need to put the same dedication into controlling and manipulating the calories out too! Dont overdo it or anything (dont need another disorder :) ) but definitely take advantage of the CICO ratio and eat at reasonable levels for your desired activity level.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    I though I'd post an update about my progress since my first post.

Since the beginning of June I've been hitting about 1450 calories a day with more (about 1600) on Saturdays. My weight fluctuates by a pound or two but has stayed at 119-120lbs on most days. If anything I would say my weight has fluctuated less than before.

I definitely have more energy, especially in the afternoon and I have had only one slight headache when before I was getting them about twice a week.

My plan is to slowly increase by 50-100 calories a week until I am eating a more realistic amount.

Thanks to everyone who posted replies.

Perfect! Many people react to too much food restriction by restricting activity (because they're tired!). :)
  • suessm
    suessm Posts: 33 Member
    edited June 2015
    ...Alcohol is one of the things that quickly add up and quite often results in late night snacks.

So 1300 (or 1450) including the alcohol? What are you eating, can't be much!
    For the last week I have increased to 1400 - 1450 and have maintained at 119 pounds. Quite amazingly, this is the lowest end of my usual range of 119 - 122 lbs. My energy levels are slightly better and I also feel ready for my meals, especially breakfast.

I've heard that to gain a pound, one needs to eat an excess (more than your body consumes) of 3500 kcals, so one needs to increase their daily intake by 500 kcals, to gain a pound per week... So maybe you could increase slowly your intake until you find yourself increasing weight, then back off to find your maintenance intake... You might find yourself being able to establish more energy without weight gain... Though you might need to stair step a bit, since you probably slowed your metabolism, but at your age it'll recover swiftly.

Just my $0.00002 worth.
  • mmccallum474
    Thank you for your input suessm. I agree with what you're saying - science says one pound is 3500 kcal and I know im not eating that much on top on what I need. I'm getting there and will play around play the calories until I get it right.
  • suessm
    suessm Posts: 33 Member
    edited June 2015
    I'm getting there and will play around play the calories until I get it right.

So..........whatcha looking for? 5' 5", 120# doesn't sound like you need to seek anything, unless you're looking just for the extra energy.... Which would be slowly increasing some intake (stay away from the simple carbs, since they mostly give fast bursts of energy, but drop you nearly as fast,) in fats and proteins...... Just wondering.
  • mmccallum474
    Maintaining my weight is the ultimate goal but I want to be able to do it with a realistic amount of calories. My issue has been meticulously restricting myself and obsessing over weight fluctuations and I'm slowly trying to resolve this.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    I'm 30 5ft5 and I eat way more than you I recently increased my calorie level to maintain and I think I may be highering it still.
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    Just want to add in, great job on slowly raising up your calories and seeing you can maintain there, OP. I would really suggest talking to your OBGYN about the period thing, however. Your doctor not being more concerned about that in and of itself is very concerning.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    I think the secret is in your weekend eating. You say you eat 1300 all week but just a bit more with booze on the weekends. Booze can add up fast. Lets say you have a maintenance like mine at 1500 if 5 days a week you eat 1300 then you earned 1000 extra for the weekend or an additional 500 Sat and Sun 500 could be a single drink if you like mudslides as much as I do. If you are feeling weak M-F it is because you are losing weight M-F just to drink it back on the weekend. Your body is getting the calories it needs but not the nutrients it needs from booze. The fix is to either not drink it back on the weekend or start working out so you can afford more calories M-F.
  • victoriaamarie1330
    victoriaamarie1330 Posts: 39 Member
    You just described me and what I was going through. I'm 5'10'', 135lbs. I would eat about 1300 calories a day, workout(weight training and cardio) 1 1/2-2 hours a day and maintain an active daily lifestyle. Even though I knew that I needed to, I had this huge fear that if I ate more, I would gain weight. What happened was that my body started doing the bare minimum it needed to on the calories I gave it; I was cold all of the time, I would become agitated easily, I was always tired and fatigued, lost my period, when I would get sick, I would be sick for about 2-3 weeks, and multiple other things. I have since increased my caloric intake to about 2000 and you know what happened? I kill my workouts every day, I have more energy for my workouts and just throughout the day in general, I feel as though I have more strength, I am much more uplifted and energized and in a better mood, I don't get as cold as easily, I have my period back, have not gotten sick, and just all around feel better. I will be honest with you though, I still struggle with the thoughts every day, but all I am seeing are improvements in my life and that is what keeps me motivated.
    Feel free to add me and we can talk more if you like!
  • mmccallum474
    I was cold all of the time, I would become agitated easily, I was always tired and fatigued, lost my period, when I would get sick, I would be sick for about 2-3 weeks, and multiple other things.

Thank you so much for that. I too sometimes struggle with the increase in calories and the fear of gaining weight. On the the other hand, I do feel more energised after increasing only slightly.

Did you experience initial weight fluctuations when you increased at first?
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Low energy, headaches, missed periods, slow metabolism. Did the doc do blood work? I have Vitamin D deficiency, low iron, and blood sugar issues. All of the above combine to your symptoms (also other things like muscle cramps, bruising - not super easy but easier than most, brittle nails - they don't break all the time but they definitely don't grow super long, etc.). My symptoms present worse when my issues are left uncontrolled.

If you are drinking on the weekends then keep in mind beer raises blood sugar while hard liquor (vodka, rum, etc.) lowers it. Alcohol also interferes with absorption of different types of vitamins so if you are already low it will usually make it worse. You can google for info on it or IM me if you need particulars.

A multivitamin plus a Vitamin D and iron chocolate chew are essential for me - every day. I also run and watch closely my sugar so that it remains level all day.

I'm not saying these are your issues. I'm saying that there are a host of things that can describe your symptoms as they are pretty general. I think the person(s) who suggested a second doc's opinion are right on the money. And most definitely if your doc did not do blood tests I'd find another doc who will.
  • mmccallum474
    Hey there. Thanks for your input.

I've recently had blood tests done and I've got a clean bill of health. I am gradually upping my calories as I think that is the root of the period issues.
  • lalalalalaurie
    lalalalalaurie Posts: 80 Member
    My first instinct is to wonder how much muscle mass you lost along with fat when you originally reduced to lose the weight to begin with.

The more muscle mass you lose, the lower your metabolism. Dieting can actually cause a trap for people because when muscle is lost, the ability to keep off the weight also is possibly lost along with the muscle and in turn slows down your metabolism exponentially.

I am also curious by what your BMI is, I suspect it is rather low (or you are rather short) if you have to eat only 1300 to stay steady. Either that or you have yo-yo'd and caused a bit of sluggish metabolism from that.

I would suggest upping your weight bearing exercises so you build muscle. Additionally, I would measure yourself right now and stop with the constant scale checking...That way you can build up your muscle mass (and metabolism), stay the same size (which is the point after all) and not freak out when the numbers expand along with your muscle gain and metabolism boost. I believe that since you are hungry and weak seem to gain when eating just over 1300, this is likely the best way to get out of that restriction cycle.

The point is to remove fat not muscle. You should be able to eat 1600 at least without gaining fat.

You may also considering eating foods that do not focus cause fat gain. Such as insulin spiking food like sugars and simple carbs.

All the best to you. If you continue like this, you like will binge, gain fat, give up and yo yo back to where you were. Hardly can restrict forever and not lose their mind eventually. Particularly while weak.

Hi everyone,

I've been wanting to post for a while as I would like some advice. I am a 25 year old female, 5 ft 5 and 120 lbs. For about 4 years I have been eating 1300 calories a day, with a bit more on weekends including alcohol. I am currently maintains my weigh overall but experience 1-3 pound fluctuations over the week.

Common sense tells me this is not enough. I experienced quite low energy levels several days a week, sometimes get headaches and can get extremely agitated if I have not eaten. I have also not had a regular period in over two years. My doctor says this is nothing to worry about.

I have always been conscious of food but not to the extent I am now. As a child I was overweight and always 'chubby' but was never preoccupied by thoughts of calories.

At present I usually pre-log my calories to ensure I stay around 1300. I do wonder what would happen if I increased and deep down I think I want to try to do so but as yet I have not had the courage.

The thing that gets me most now is that I cannot eat a particular food just because I enjoy it. I know the calorie count of everything and will always go for the lower option even if I would prefer the taste of something else. The feeling of losing weight is one that I enjoy. I weigh myself daily and my mood is dictated by the number in the scale even though I know that fluctuations are normal.

I am scared that if I increase I will gain weight. On the other hand, I would like to increase my calories to see if I feel better.

Sorry for the long post. Have any of you experienced this? What happened when you increased your calories? Thanks.