Is 'whilst' the most overused word in these forums?

Replies

• Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    I say 'whilst'. Sorry it offends. :|
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    this is such a weird and annoying thread
  • AdamImadA
    AdamImadA Posts: 74 Member
    tomatoey wrote: »

Unlike all the threads here that make total sense.....
    Very insiteful tomatoey!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    adamklug73 wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »

Unlike all the threads here that make total sense.....
    Very insiteful tomatoey!

Well I mean, yeah, kind of.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Why is this in "General Diet and Weight Loss Help"?

The OP is so pretentious that I don't even want to read the whole thread.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    minties82 wrote: »
    "lbs" or pounds drives me bonkers! The amount of brain activity that goes on here whilst I do mental acrobatics to convert it to kilograms...I should log it as an exercise and get credit for it.

Also, calories. Calories bloody calories. I think I am the only person here who uses kilojoules.

yeah the lbs and miles thing can be mentally draining lol

I'm an Aussie and have never used kilojoules, it's always been calories.

You're doing it wrong then bro, Australia uses kilojoules as their official unit of food energy measurement. Most countries do.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    edited June 2015
    as an American i do not think we have any right to speak upon being annoyed with how one speaks..... especially when proper english. I sometimes don't even think half the words i speak are real. Yay America. lets bag on people for being educated. (edited for spelling.. cause... america)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    "lbs" or pounds drives me bonkers! The amount of brain activity that goes on here whilst I do mental acrobatics to convert it to kilograms...I should log it as an exercise and get credit for it.

Also, calories. Calories bloody calories. I think I am the only person here who uses kilojoules.

You're doing it wrong then bro, Australia uses kilojoules as their official unit of food energy measurement. Most countries do.

yeah I know they do, and I hate it. Australia must have used calories at some stage tho..( A quick google didn't come up with anything.) otherwise myself and everyone else I know wouldn't still be using calories.

I hate change lol I still call "kfc" Kentucky fried.

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    The word "loose" instead of the correct verb "lose" is, by far, the most overused word. It stabs my English teacher heart daily.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    fishshark wrote: »
    as an American i do not think we have any right to speak upon being annoyed with how one speaks..... especially when proper english. I sometimes don't even think half the words i speak are real. Yay America. lets bag on people for being educated. (edited for spelling.. cause... america)

You. I like you.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    yarwell wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I'm British

And a pedant

And mean

.. it is the perfect combination for foruming

Should "and" ever start with a capital letter ?

Yes, because there is no reason not to start a sentence with a conjunction. Admittedly I forgot my fullstops (periods to you Americans) but it's the internet and that happens a lot ... I had one too few dots in my ellipsis too

e6657229f8aa6494737b4d3a037c6e.jpg
    I bought this card for a friend! :-)

• ketorach
    I never use the word 'whilst' (and I'm British!) and I haven't noticed any overuse on here....

there is alot of bad grammar and spelling mistakes which gets my goat a bit but I'm not perfect either lol

Such as alot? It is a lot.
    Alot is better than you at everything!

• Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    ketorach wrote: »
    I never use the word 'whilst' (and I'm British!) and I haven't noticed any overuse on here....

there is alot of bad grammar and spelling mistakes which gets my goat a bit but I'm not perfect either lol

Such as alot? It is a lot.
    Alot is better than you at everything!

I Love this alot xxx
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    What grammar nazis seem to forget is that our current language and grammar which they are hell-bent on protecting and correcting are actually the product of certain expressions and grammar rules gradually falling out of use after being replaced by "faulty" grammar and spelling. The rules of a language are defined by how it's used. Those common mistakes can someday become the rule, not to mention that some of the rules grammar nazis seem to rigidly love are not as rigid as they imagine them to be.

As long as I understand what is being said I really don't care how it's being said.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I'm generally a descriptivist, but there are things that annoy me. Loose being one (I admit), probably because I first encountered it on a Bears thread on usenet (oh, the shame) that was full of Packers fans taunting about how the Bears would certainly loose on the coming Sunday. (They did not, but they did often lose. I felt free to draw conclusions about the average intelligence of Packers fans that were certainly unfair.)

(Whilst is of course not one that annoys me, though. That's just wacky.)
  • ketorach
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'm generally a descriptivist, but there are things that annoy me. Loose being one (I admit), probably because I first encountered it on a Bears thread on usenet (oh, the shame) that was full of Packers fans taunting about how the Bears would certainly loose on the coming Sunday. (They did not, but they did often lose. I felt free to draw conclusions about the average intelligence of Packers fans that were certainly unfair.)
    Shee-it, you old!

• fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member

I did not know this. The thing about kilojoules.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    ketorach wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Shee-it, you old!

Yes, I am!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    What grammar nazis seem to forget is that our current language and grammar which they are hell-bent on protecting and correcting are actually the product of certain expressions and grammar rules gradually falling out of use after being replaced by "faulty" grammar and spelling. The rules of a language are defined by how it's used. Those common mistakes can someday become the rule, not to mention that some of the rules grammar nazis seem to rigidly love are not as rigid as they imagine them to be.

As long as I understand what is being said I really don't care how it's being said.

Ah yes, languages are living things. They evolve. The meanings of words sometimes even change over time. It's fascinating stuff. I always mean to study it more in depth.

• Varamyr38
    Varamyr38 Posts: 258 Member
    This is probably the first time I've seen it. What gets me is people using "I want to loose weight" or "starvation mode".